Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: castlevania 3 remake 8-bit  (Read 12643 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
Keep us posted on new developments. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »
Lookin' good! Can't wait to play it.   :D

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »
I thought they may have been borrowed from some fan game, and I thought about that CV2 remake right off the bat, but even I could tell they were different. I remember thinking like everyone else his forest stages were awesome looking, with excellent use of black. In your case, I was thinking excellent use of blue. Yours seemed more colorful. I was almost trying to find faults in the coloring, trying to think things like, "This must be in a game maker because he has too many colors," but I realized (from the torches and zombies falling from the air) that you were using ReVamp and I knew the palettes were all legit. That's what really got me. I was like, "This game is true to form and looks so gorgeous!"

Remember some things with ReVamp:

You have about 4 pages of torch placements to work with (the scrollbar under the various item drops). Enemies are much more limited. There are 99 or so enemy slots. Each slot has a predefined field of placement. These are shared across all maps (I think). This is the hardest part.

Bone Pillars have their direction predefined and it's very easy to work with. The ReVamp help file says he doesn't know how it works, but it's not rocket science. Every odd-numbered TSA column makes the Bone Pillar face one direction (right on the bottom I think) and every even-numbered TSA column makes the Bone Pillar face the other direction (so right on the bottom, if I was right the first time). So a Bone Pillar with its x-origin between 0 and 31 will face the same way as a Bone Pillar with x-origin between 64 and 95. Likewise, a Bone Pillar with x-origin between 32 and 63 will face the opposite direction as the former two, but the same direction as one with x-origin between 96 and 127.

One of the Medusa Head controllers makes them fly from behind or the left, the other makes them fly from whatever direction Trevor is facing.

All controllers are active when their center point (their origin) is in view. Three controllers in view should create three enemies at a time (never more than 3 of the same type, though).

Messing with active sprites can be fun. Setting the wrong sprites for the Bone Pillars can make, for example, Zombie Pillars. Test them out. :D

Although the Cathedral, for example, is in the same TSA sheet as the ruined town, and even though the ruined town has two distinct sets in the same TSA sheet, only the same sets should be shown on either side of a door. The area at the beginning and the one room with the two skeletons share the same TSA as the room above the cathedral, but the cathedral uses different TSAs, hence it's connected by stairs. And then the hall after the bone-tossing skeletons with the Medusa Heads uses a different TSA set (but still in the same sheet), so it's connected by stairs too.

But I'm with Esco. Eventually you should learn to make a game in C++, Game Maker or Media Fusion or whatever it's called. Then you can put your creativity to better use. Make boss fights even more epic. Make the Skull Knight a sub-boss instead of a stage boss, for example.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Behest

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: castlevania 3 remake 8-bit
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »
I thought they may have been borrowed from some fan game, and I thought about that CV2 remake right off the bat, but even I could tell they were different. I remember thinking like everyone else his forest stages were awesome looking, with excellent use of black. In your case, I was thinking excellent use of blue. Yours seemed more colorful. I was almost trying to find faults in the coloring, trying to think things like, "This must be in a game maker because he has too many colors," but I realized (from the torches and zombies falling from the air) that you were using ReVamp and I knew the palettes were all legit. That's what really got me. I was like, "This game is true to form and looks so gorgeous!"

Remember some things with ReVamp:

You have about 4 pages of torch placements to work with (the scrollbar under the various item drops). Enemies are much more limited. There are 99 or so enemy slots. Each slot has a predefined field of placement. These are shared across all maps (I think). This is the hardest part.

Bone Pillars have their direction predefined and it's very easy to work with. The ReVamp help file says he doesn't know how it works, but it's not rocket science. Every odd-numbered TSA column makes the Bone Pillar face one direction (right on the bottom I think) and every even-numbered TSA column makes the Bone Pillar face the other direction (so right on the bottom, if I was right the first time). So a Bone Pillar with its x-origin between 0 and 31 will face the same way as a Bone Pillar with x-origin between 64 and 95. Likewise, a Bone Pillar with x-origin between 32 and 63 will face the opposite direction as the former two, but the same direction as one with x-origin between 96 and 127.

One of the Medusa Head controllers makes them fly from behind or the left, the other makes them fly from whatever direction Trevor is facing.

All controllers are active when their center point (their origin) is in view. Three controllers in view should create three enemies at a time (never more than 3 of the same type, though).

Messing with active sprites can be fun. Setting the wrong sprites for the Bone Pillars can make, for example, Zombie Pillars. Test them out. :D

Although the Cathedral, for example, is in the same TSA sheet as the ruined town, and even though the ruined town has two distinct sets in the same TSA sheet, only the same sets should be shown on either side of a door. The area at the beginning and the one room with the two skeletons share the same TSA as the room above the cathedral, but the cathedral uses different TSAs, hence it's connected by stairs. And then the hall after the bone-tossing skeletons with the Medusa Heads uses a different TSA set (but still in the same sheet), so it's connected by stairs too.

But I'm with Esco. Eventually you should learn to make a game in C++, Game Maker or Media Fusion or whatever it's called. Then you can put your creativity to better use. Make boss fights even more epic. Make the Skull Knight a sub-boss instead of a stage boss, for example.

RIGHT ON MAN!

Thanks for your input. I do have a basic understanding of how enemy place ment works but you made it alittle more comprehenciv. as for the TSA and needing to be the same behind both doors, that i do understand completely. My only problem with that is the way i make my graphics is like a painting, and it takes alot of my tsa sheet so sometimes i use a TSA sheet (like the cathedral) and sacrifice it for the sake of level design. witch creates the jumbled shit you see when passing through a door. So its like a compremise for the sake of diversity of a board.

I also hear Esco loud and clear i have gamemaker pro 7. I might have to use it to fix some of the above mentioned problems. im haveing a hard time trying to comprehend it, cause i dont know what all the terminology is. im learning it along the way. also my prayer entro is ate up. and i cant map it out on revamp. Thank you for your complement on the colors. I try to use all the color slots to their max, and for you to think i used gamemaker to make it look the way it does is an awsome complement. you guys seem to know your shit really well... im a noob at this stuff. ill stay in touch...

at thy Behest.

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
I believe someone is working on a NES style CV engine in Game Maker too. Maybe you could use that to help you and to help you learn more about Game Maker, I think it would be a big help to you.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
I believe someone is working on a NES style CV engine in Game Maker too. Maybe you could use that to help you and to help you learn more about Game Maker, I think it would be a big help to you.

*clears throat*

It would be a great learning tool if I actually commented out everything I did. Only Jorge, Inccubus and I think Esco ever really saw the commented version. Actually, dunno if Esco ever saw it or if he just took whatever Inccubus threw at him.

It's certainly a great learning tool for me, seeing as how so far by version 0.4alpha, I've recoded some things four or five times over. I'm not going to say I'm the guy that found a bunch of bugs in GameMaker - there have been others before me that have noticed peculiar bugs, but I think it's safe to say I've done more for the bounding box bug than probably anyone else in GM's history.

My code is very messy, so it'd actually be pretty difficult to learn from. It does have some nifty little features that I had developed over the months or year or however long it's been since I started on it. I know Inccubus and Esco like the block tiler script I created and have since revived two or three times over (small revision again in v0.4a). The stair "script" (wasn't really a script, but a series of messy code) I made was the main reason I even started up on it. I was sick of all the "jump onto stairs" or "ramp stairs" games that were out there, so I made what I felt would be good stairs close to the NES style. My first attempt failed miserably due to too many bugs, but my revision worked out and when I downloaded ReVamp and played around with it, I realized my stairs were pretty close to the originals.

My engine tries to stay close to the source, but I take a liberty here or there (called "rounding off") and it is super, super messy in terms of handling jumps and falling (I have this nagging suspicion that the NES games used some sort of gravity that I haven't worked out). I have ADHD though, so it's taking me a while to progress. Currently I'm working on implementing breakable walls while utilizing my block tiling script. I'm sure you all can understand how difficult it is for someone with ADHD (at least I think I have it, even though I don't believe in it) to program frame-by-frame, meaning I record gameplay of Dracula's Curse to an AVI and then analyze the video one frame at a time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:00:21 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Behest

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: castlevania 3 remake 8-bit
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
Greetings people,

IM still working on  castlevania 3 8 bit remake. check it out on youtube for those who do not know. ill have new videos up really soon so keep checking back. im sorry for not responding sooner. im also working on a musical project. so... YES this project is still in working progress... dont fret.

ill be in touch at thy behest.