Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just beat Contra for the first time WITHOUT the 30-man code!  (Read 6172 times)

Offline quinnmjohnson

• Professional Comics Writer
  • "It's true, you are not a mere man-wolf..."
    • Mr. Wonderful Productions
    • Awards
Just beat Contra for the first time WITHOUT the 30-man code!
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
I think that makes me officially a man now.  :)

I made it to the heart at the end and started shaking and muttered to myself, "Oh my gosh, I'm actually going to beat this game."

Also just beat the awesome Konami NES game "Jackal." Another big achievement for me, that game was friggin' intense!!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Just beat Contra for the first time WITHOUT the 30-man code!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
Congratulations! It's a great feeling to beat games like this without Konami Code shenanigans.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
Guess you did a one up on me I beat it with my bro without the code now I want to beat it just like you.  :) I can do it since it feels like one thing goes wrong both get players get screwed.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
1CC'ing Gradius 1 on the NES without any cheats was sweet joy.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »
Contra is one of those games that forces you to come back for more even if it's already whipped you into submission (pistol-whipped that is  ;D). It's definitely a celebration once you finish it. Guess you'll have to move on to it's sequel; Super C. That game is somewhat harder I found. There's a ten man code too if you're having trouble with it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »
Now try 1CCing Konami's FC treasured shmup, Crisis Force, then you'll be a man. ;)

And no I didn't do it myself, but I did damn near 1CC Gradius 1 on Saturn, much much harder than the NES version. Did 1CC Gradius 3 SNES on normal years ago, as well as Bayou Billy on NES.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
Congratulations.

I beat Contra in one week (though I had a hack where you can play with one chosen weapon for the whole duration of the game). Super Contra was completed in 3 days (once again it was a hack with ability to choose weapons).
I had completed Crisis Force without using continues. Though I never was able to complete this game without loosing any lives. Still I want to do that one day.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
The only game I've 1ccd was Gradius on the Japanese PSX collection.  And that was on easy.  I fail.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
I've 1-life Completed Gradius III SNES, on Arcade Mode.
My apellation was "Technical Monkey" or something.
That was many years ago.  Nowadays I suck at shmups.  I still love 'em though.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
Nicely done.

Offline Husky

• Don't let the post count fool you I've been around since 2001
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • ICVD!!!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
I beat contra a number of years ago with out using the code or continuing, I also beat contra 3 without continuing, I found a spot in the game where enemies spawn and you can just hold the fire button down, so I elastic banded the button down and left the game running till I had 30 lives or so, and then went back to it and finished the game.
[img width= height=]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v238/45/53/550506684/n550506684_756072_7919.jpg[/img]

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
I beat Gradius III (Arcade) without dying and without using any power-ups! Only pussies need to use speed up during the fast flying stage before the boss rush. I recorded it but my computer crashed!  :-X :-X :-X
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
Back when contra first came to NES, my friends and I would be so proud to beat it BEFORE any of us had ever even heard of the konami code.  Like many 8-bit games that are considered hard by today's standards, mastery relies upon memorization. Mega Man 1-3, anyone?

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:59 PM »
Ugh, mm1-2 were no where nearly as hard as the contra games imo. I actually beat mm1-3 but never a contra without cheats.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
I beat Gradius III (Arcade) without dying and without using any power-ups! Only pussies need to use speed up during the fast flying stage before the boss rush. I recorded it but my computer crashed!  :-X :-X :-X

SNES version right? There's no speed part before the boss rush in the arcade one. When you can beat it with the TV off while blindfolded while fighting someone with your hands tied behind your back, then you are a man grasshoppah.

Tags:

anything