Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CONFIRMED: The LOS Storyline spans centuries, more Belmonts, possibly coming  (Read 23958 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
So, basically, they rebooted the franchise and now they're letting anyone else fill in the gaps between the end of LoS and the prologue with their own games.

Well, ok then. Sounds like we're going to get an even sloppier storyline now.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Off topic: Ah im back after seven long days without tv and internet, that was hell.

On topic: So my theory may end up being used after all. :)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
In the West. What about Japan? if Domestic sales dont do well...

Castlevania has always been more popular in the West. It makes sense if you think about it, seeing that the series has always been heavily immersed in European history, culture, architecture, and lore.

Sales in Japan are not surprising, considering they prefer playing Pachislot games.

And yeah, LoS was one of the coolest things that happened to CV over a few years, maybe since SotN.

Since it's sold more than any Castlevania game I can think of, it might finally convince Konami to invest in the brand. Like really invest.

Which would be awesome.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
I was checking up on that recently.  Lords of Shadow sold 111,800 copies in Japan, which is about 13% of LoS Global sales.  After a big opening week there, the sales dropped quite sharply...  Meanwhile in the US, sales remained strong and steady past the first 3 months --with a much slower and steadier decline thereafter.

The fact is (even at 13%) Lords of Shadow sold more copies in Japan, than Castlevania Judgment sold Globally.  So just from a sales perspective, it's safe bet that LoS is getting a sequel --regardless of the Japanese...

Actually, this is the latest graph for Lords of Shadow in Japan:

You probably got that number from VGSuckz, right?

EDIT: Forgot XBOX360

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:22:44 PM by Maedhros »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Quote from: Chernabogue
And yeah, LoS was one of the coolest things that happened to CV over a few years, maybe since SotN.

I beg to differ, Akumajo Dracula:The Arcade looks damn awesome & is truly unique amongst the series. I'm still dying to play it.

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
While not entirely "news", I guess I can take this and hope for an LoS2 that will bring both new and old things to the table. With that said, I'm dying for this year to be over so that we'll hopefully, hear some solid CV news.

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
But I would much rather hear something about a 3DS Castlevania. It's BOUND to happen in 2012, don't you agree? Or at least early 2013.

Be careful what you wish for.

Konami: We are now hard at work on a 3DS Castlevania.

Fans: YAAAAY!  :D

Konami: Oh sorry, did I say "we"? I meant Titus the Fox.

Fans: ...... >:(

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
I dropped a message on Konami's Castlevania facebook page the other day about Castlevania 3DS. Not expecting an answer from them, but just to remind them it's still on my mind.

Then I got an annoying response from Operation Akumajou. Ugh.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
What did it say? lol.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Konami: Oh sorry, did I say "we"? I meant Titus the Fox.

That name is forbidden!
But yes, it's probably gonna be something like that. I still dream about a WayForward Castlevania, but I guess we're not getting that, ever.

I also would like to see a Castlevania by finnish developer Frozenbyte. Looking at their duo of Trine game, it's clear that they love 2D platforming with GORGEOUS and detailed graphics.

Konami? Are you listening?

Didn't think do..

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I dropped a message on Konami's Castlevania facebook page the other day about Castlevania 3DS. Not expecting an answer from them, but just to remind them it's still on my mind.

Then I got an annoying response from Operation Akumajou. Ugh.

What did it say? lol.

This.

*NAME CENSORED FOR PRIVACY*
Konami, the 3DS is becoming a massive success more and more everyday and it's library is steadily growing with more anticipated titles by the minute.  Can you give us a hint when we might expect to hear anything about Castlevania on the 3DS? I would love a new game with the classic platforming of the originals.
Like · · December 22 at 2:38pm ·
Jacques Belmont Helsing likes this.

Operation: Akumajo
The Facebook team is pretty tight-lipped about Konami's plans for Castlevania. If they do know anything, it's a pretty good bet they have some non-disclosure agreements over their heads.  We do know that Lords of Shadow sold very well, particularly in the US market. The total global sales recently passed One Million copies, so there will definitely be a sequel announced at some point. Mercury Steam may already have the green light to be working on it.  The only real mystery right now is if Konami plans to continue developing any traditional Akumajo Dracula games. Will they continue supporting the 2-D artform? And if so, will they be making a serious investment in restoring quality?  We may be waiting awhile for the answers...
December 22 at 11:16pm · Like · 1

OSM, your question is fairly routine for the Official Castlevania Facebook Page.  Konami's reps have actually been responding to questions like yours with a rather generic "thank-you but we're not ready to announce any new products at this time" sort of spiel.  Most fans would find *that* annoying, but to each his own --I apologize if you found the message offensive.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:20:37 AM by cecil-kain »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Cecilkain,

You really have to stop this. You're seriously doing more damage than good here.

You WANT people to ask the question OSM did. By replying in that manner you are DISCOURAGING that question from being posted, while making Konami seemingly unable to answer on their own. This only hurts the cause you claim to stand for.

Now follow me here, if everyone stopped asking 'whens the next Castlevania?' then now it appears NO ONE cares. If you keep answering for Konami, it not only insults them but also erases the importance of the person asking. If they do not reply themselves, they cant feel the importance being stressed.

You want people to keep asking that question in HIGH volume. Even if the Konami employees do not tell you about the next new Castlevania, they were forced to post regardless. You want that. The more they have to tell people they don't know, the more they FEEL the popularity and importance of the series.

Running things as you have been, you are only digging Castlevania's grave deeper and deeper. You really need to think things through before taking actions.

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
lol konami is tooooo lazy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 12:13:05 PM by Dengo vlad tepes »

Offline RavenZX13

• Atop the bell tower....
    • Awards
Since I played LoS, I never felt it was a castlevania. No matter how many times I played it, or how many ppl posted 1,000 facts why it's castlevania. It just never felt like it. The music never felt like castlevania, the gameplay was more like GOW or some other game like that, and the character felt like someone that doesn't really belong in a castlevania game. It overall it was an ok game in itself, but as a castlevania game, it was shit.

Hearing bout the fact another one is likely in production, doesn't excite me really. I'd rather see more 2D castlevanias either traditional or metroidvania, it doesn't matter. It seems to me that it's better off the series as a 2D one
Life is a gift. Death is the return policy.

Don't forget the receipt on your way out......

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Cecilkain,

You really have to stop this. You're seriously doing more damage than good here.

You WANT people to ask the question OSM did. By replying in that manner you are DISCOURAGING that question from being posted, while making Konami seemingly unable to answer on their own. This only hurts the cause you claim to stand for.

Now follow me here, if everyone stopped asking 'whens the next Castlevania?' then now it appears NO ONE cares. If you keep answering for Konami, it not only insults them but also erases the importance of the person asking. If they do not reply themselves, they cant feel the importance being stressed.

You want people to keep asking that question in HIGH volume. Even if the Konami employees do not tell you about the next new Castlevania, they were forced to post regardless. You want that. The more they have to tell people they don't know, the more they FEEL the popularity and importance of the series.

Relax.

The reply had a little grandstanding, but it was no more discouraging than what Konami themselves would have posted.

You need to remember that even OA (with its nearly 300 members) is a drop in the bucket compared to the tens of thousands within the Castlevania fanbase.  While it's good for the fans to be asking about a 3DS game individually, you can't deny the advantages of a more coordinated campaign.  The big problem is that even on Konami's Official Castlevania Page only a few hundred out of about 158,000 fans appear to be actively engaged.  So in addition to weak participation, the campaign would also suffer from weak exposure and momentum as well.  Right now is a far better time to be networking and communing with the like-minded.  Then when Konami makes an announcement to put Castlevania back in the news, we'll be ready...

Running things as you have been, you are only digging Castlevania's grave deeper and deeper. You really need to think things through before taking actions.

We're still going strong.  OA first joined the Official Castlevania Page back in late September, since then our networking efforts have grown the membership by about 48%.  Uzo, you've been a vocal critic for a long time, and you've made it clear on a number of occasions how you disagree with my philosophy and management of OA.  If you really believe in the cause, this is your invitation to step up and dedicate your time and energy to setting a better example.  Otherwise, it's time to let it go and move on.

Tags:

anything