Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Genre Definitions  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
What makes a game genre what it is? Obviously, racing games have races in them, but what makes an adventure game or action, or rpg? What elements means one or another? I'm unsure on some, and would like some input.

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Genre Definitions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
It's difficult to say.

Nintendo officially calls Metroid Prime a First Person Adventure rather than an FPS.
and  Alien Vs Predator 1 + 2, system shock or Call of Cthulu for the pc I would call more of a Survival horror then a first person shooter.

A platformer to me is a 2D game like wonderboy, Dizzy or Super mario. I just get the feel it's more of an adventure game if we go into 3 dimensions.

Though Legend of Zelda ALTTP is an excellent 2d adventure ( some like to call it an RPG but where are the random turn based battles and stat system? )

I cant really compare graphic adventures to anything because there's nothing quite like them around these days. but that genre doesnt really cross over anyway.

I'm finding it difficult to describe what elements mean what these days!lol
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »
yea, exactly. After listenign to people call games this and that, I've concluded that RPG has customization of the character... or so it seems, because some that are called that don't. It probably has more elements but its seems liek a huge mish mash of... ... hmm.. elements blending into each other.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
well technically speaking every game is an RPG because you assume the role of a character in the game and generally play from that sole perspective.

But thats being more overarching and vague than required =D

For me its like this:

RPG - any game where the main system involved in advancing is by means of character advancement. Levels stat increases new spells etc. Normally with sectioned off from the stage or map battles.

Action RPG - any game that would normally be action oriented but with added importance on character advancement. Either by traditional rpg means or more toned down methods of character advancement. The action is still the primary gameplay component with the rpg elements taking a more behind the scenes role.

Action/Adventure - most ppl probably wouldnt consider these one genre but its theme and gameplay subsystems that separate them from the FPS genre. These games can be from any view or perspective or even 2D or 3D. The major element is the story taking place and the completion of goals to achieve finished maps or stages. The primary focus isnt getting from point A to point B but gettin to point A accomplishing a goal that moves the story forward before moving on to point B.

FPS - The 'S' meaning shooter as a genre name more than gameplay mechanic. These games primary focus regardless of whatever goals you might be trying to achieve is to kill as many hostile npc/players as possible. There is generally no alternative to killing and most of the action is relatively straight forward. Start -> kill everything til you get to point A -> somethin happens that doesnt change the story usually -> kill some more and head to point B.

Strategy - These games generally put you in an 'all seeing overviewer' type of mode where you see all the action from above and have a basic overview of the entire mode (stage map section etc) and allows you to control multiple units at once to achieve goals. Almost always involves you using your 'team' to outdo or beat other teams to advance/win.

Puzzle - Pretty self explanatory. These games usually feature an abstract or removed view of the stage or map instead of a focused view of certain area. Advancement involves solving the puzzle of the current stage following whatever theme the game has.

Thats all just a very broad overview of the basic elements of the genres. Of course theres always mixed genres and games that have more than one genre but generally speaking every game can fit into one of the above genres.

Tags:

anything