Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Voice actors you want in castlevania  (Read 31467 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
Though, like I said, there is some major obsession with that language.
Probably because foreign languages tend to sound more exotic, and thus, be more appealing. At least that's what I think.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
Is it wrong if I found Simon's voice from Judgment appropriate for Simon?

Absolutely not! I thought Keith Silverstein was great as Simon in Judgment. By the way, he is yet another actor from Naruto; one of Sasori's underlings named Yura. :)

Probably because foreign languages tend to sound more exotic, and thus, be more appealing. At least that's what I think.

That's the way I see it as well. Heck, I even watched anime in Japanese a few times and found myself irritated by the high-pitched voices of most of the female characters. Granted, some English voices have annoyed me at times, but I tend to get used to them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:29:21 PM by GummiCandyful »

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
+1
Absolutely not! I thought Keith Silverstein was great as Simon in Judgment. By the way, he is yet another actor from Naruto; one of Sasori's underlings named Yura. :)

He would also happen to be Kimimaro.

That's the way I see it as well. Heck, I even watched anime in Japanese a few times and found myself irritated by the high-pitched voices of most of the female characters. Granted, some English voices have annoyed me at times, but I tend to get used to them.

O. M. G. This here is (one of) the biggest problem fixed by dubs. The outlandishly high voices of females characters is (more often than not) fixed in American dubs, giving them a much more realistic voice to listen to, yet people who prefer the Japanese dubs are always like "Noooooooooo I hate how they always ruin the cute sounding voices of the females uuuuuugh".

Is it wrong if I found Simon's voice from Judgment appropriate for Simon?

No, it is not. I did as well.

Random bit of trivia you all probably know: Keith Silverstein also does the voice of Albus.

(click to show/hide)
He was not all homicidal so I could not even guess that was him.

Yup. For whatever reason, Jin Kisaragi is the only role that David Vincent doesn't get flak for.

Also, for whatever reason, Richter is credited on some websites as Dave Wittenberg. Vincent and Wittenberg sound nothing alike... >_>
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
O. M. G. This here is (one of) the biggest problem fixed by dubs. The outlandishly high voices of females characters is (more often than not) fixed in American dubs, giving them a much more realistic voice to listen to, yet people who prefer the Japanese dubs are always like "Noooooooooo I hate how they always ruin the cute sounding voices of the females uuuuuugh".

My sentiments exactly. I always found English dubs to be more realistic as the character voices tend to fit more than their Japanese counterparts, especially if they're teenagers. I Probably wouldn't mind the Japanese so much if the high-pitched voices were exclusive to children and not characters of all ages. Even the male voices from time to time sound almost the same, especially when they yell or scream. :/

Yup. For whatever reason, Jin Kisaragi is the only role that David Vincent doesn't get flak for.

Also, for whatever reason, Richter is credited on some websites as Dave Wittenberg. Vincent and Wittenberg sound nothing alike... >_>

Which is pretty unfair, seeing as he's a great voice actor. Some people. >__> I thought he was great as Seiji Yagiri in Durarara! (Another great dub, by the way). And I can't believe some websites would actually mix David Vincent with Dave Wittenburg since both have completely different voices. LOL.

The Triforce of Fuckery

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »
+1
how do you describe a language as flat
how do you factor in the range of emotion by linguistics

also, to stay on topic,
david bowie as the goblin king in lords 2
and frank welker as goblins
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:44:57 AM by thernz »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »
Though I'm fond of watching Anime in original Japanese, the cultural Japanese fixation with 'cuteness' is so saccharine that at times I switch to Dub just to hear things back in normal voice again.

To the Japanese, 'girls should be cute' and 'women should be sexy' in terms of Anime.  This is why the female protagonists always have high-pitched voices, while female antagonists with any sort of sexual features, etc. have lower tones.

It's as if it's a black and white thing: You're either talking like a 5-year old until your mid-twenties because cultural society deems it 'cute', and thus 'acceptable' there, and then you genre-shift into 'dominatrix mode' 'cuz you're now too old to be cute.  There is no in-between unless the series has no sort of sex whatsoever (that's probably why I love Azumanga Daioh, because the characters are all female and it feels like Seinfeld in a Japanese School).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
Another great voice in anime when compared to japanese dub vs non-english dub is Dan Green. I do not know who the japanese voice actor for Yugi is, but he is awesome as well sometimes it's a tie between dubs, but if it's by 4-kids the voices actors tend to be good, it's just that the editing makes the dub go straight down to hell. The one thing that 4-kids did right was make yu-gi-oh uncut then of course stop it.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
You would probably die if you overheard my mom's Thai dramas because there is only the extreme of high-pitch.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
My sentiments exactly. I always found English dubs to be more realistic as the character voices tend to fit more than their Japanese counterparts, especially if they're teenagers. I Probably wouldn't mind the Japanese so much if the high-pitched voices were exclusive to children and not characters of all ages. Even the male voices from time to time sound almost the same, especially when they yell or scream. :/

Which is pretty unfair, seeing as he's a great voice actor. Some people. >__> I thought he was great as Seiji Yagiri in Durarara! (Another great dub, by the way). And I can't believe some websites would actually mix David Vincent with Dave Wittenburg since both have completely different voices. LOL.

Believe it or not, I do manage to differentiate Japanese actors. Nobuyuki Hiyama, Ryotaro Okiayu, Takahiro Sakurai, Hikaru Midorikawa, etc. (especially the fourth).

I dunno why. David Vincent is widely hated. He's one of my favorite voice actors, though he does not compare to Roger Craig Smith.

how do you describe a language as flat
how do you factor in the range of emotion by linguistics

also, to stay on topic,
david bowie as the goblin king in lords 2
and frank welker as goblins

I describe a language as flat by noticing that most Japanese voice actors (not all of them) basically only change their pitch and volume when acting. There's no real feeling to it. I only notice this in native-born Japanese speakers, however. A lot of others (notably Koreans) seem to have a lot of feeling when speaking in it.

I hate how the language sounds with an American accent. It hurts. Badly.

Though I'm fond of watching Anime in original Japanese, the cultural Japanese fixation with 'cuteness' is so saccharine that at times I switch to Dub just to hear things back in normal voice again.

If something is dubbed, I usually always prefer to play it in the English dub, unless I happen to like the Japanese dub better (PS1 Symphony of the Night and Dynasty Warriors 3 are a few examples). I don't necessarily divide bad between "horrible bad" and "funny bad" (both ones I listed falling under the latter), so I always pick whichever I enjoy listening to more.

You would probably die if you overheard my mom's Thai dramas because there is only the extreme of high-pitch.

I probably don't even want to bother.

Going ontopic just like thernz:
Roger Craig Smith's voice for Chris Redfield would work wonderfully for a young Julius.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »
Speaking of Julius, where did Serio get the English voice samples for Julius? Does HoD have him in English or something?
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
Speaking of Julius, where did Serio get the English voice samples for Julius? Does HoD have him in English or something?

Yes. In Harmony of Despair, David Lodge provides the voice for Julius.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:15 AM »
Yes. In Harmony of Despair, David Lodge provides the voice for Julius.

For whatever odd reason, I prefer Julius' VA'a from AoS and DoS. I guess it's because, to me at least, HoD's Julius does NOT sound like a grizzled 56 year-old. In AoS and DoS, his VA sounds like it's coming from an older man, and I really like his grunts and growls better.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
Tetsu Inada, who did the voice of Julius in DoS, reprises his role in the Japanese dub of HD, who I agree sounds much better for Julius. I dunno if you knew or not, but there IS a Japanese voice selection in the game. If you didn't know, when selecting the color for your character, hold down both triggers (in the Xbox 360 version), or hold down R2 (in the PS3 version).

If you did know, well then that was useless info.

I personally thought David Lodge was NOT a good choice for him. Michael McConnohie (Rinaldo, Barlowe, narrator for LoI and CoD) would have been a much better voice for him.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
Tetsu Inada, who did the voice of Julius in DoS, reprises his role in the Japanese dub of HD, who I agree sounds much better for Julius. I dunno if you knew or not, but there IS a Japanese voice selection in the game. If you didn't know, when selecting the color for your character, hold down both triggers (in the Xbox 360 version), or hold down R2 (in the PS3 version).

If you did know, well then that was useless info.

I personally thought David Lodge was NOT a good choice for him. Michael McConnohie (Rinaldo, Barlowe, narrator for LoI and CoD) would have been a much better voice for him.

Trouble is I chose a Wii for the family over the PS3 just for me, so I missed out on everything Konami for this generation of the console war too. Kinda sad, since this might be my last generation I participate in. I'm 26 now (vs just 20 when the Wii launched). In your 20's most everyone is getting serious about dating. I graduated college and transitioned from part-time to full-time, so I'm lucky to have even just 4 hours a day of free time. And of that free time, I don't even get all of it to myself. I just can't see myself justifying the purchase of a PS4 or something when I have so little time these days.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:24:15 PM by Phoenix7786 »

Offline GummiCandyful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Lurker
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
Believe it or not, I do manage to differentiate Japanese actors. Nobuyuki Hiyama, Ryotaro Okiayu, Takahiro Sakurai, Hikaru Midorikawa, etc. (especially the fourth).

I dunno why. David Vincent is widely hated. He's one of my favorite voice actors, though he does not compare to Roger Craig Smith.

Takahiro Sakurai is one of the few Seiyuus that I'm familiar with, as well as Daisuke Ono and Eri Kitamura.

Wow, and I bet all that hate is unjustified (which is usually the case for people who hate on English VAs in general). Take Johnny Yong Bosch (a favorite of mine, BTW) for example; as you know, people hate him because he's supposedly "in everything" these days, yet older voice actors like Steve Blum are credited with more roles than him. Heck, Wendee Lee, Kari Walgren, Michelle Ruff and Stephanie Sheh have even more, which therefor renders his haters claims invalid.

Anyway, I also like Roger Craig Smith. He's been in a lot of games recently and I find him to be highly talented. I'd very much like to hear him in a Castlevania game.

Back on topic, I haven't heard Julius in HoD, but I always envisioned him being voiced by Michael McConnohie as well (a recent favorite of mine). And it might seem silly, but knowing that David Lodge provided Julius' voice, it's going be hard trying not to imagine Jiraiya. LOL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:02:52 PM by GummiCandyful »

The Triforce of Fuckery

Tags: