Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (or How I fell in love)  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (or How I fell in love)
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
+1

I'm not sure.

Action Adventure was supossed to be my favorite genre. You know, the good old tales of saving the world from mythic creatures, short  (or not) stories about masters and slaves, kingdoms and princess, dark lords and fairies. Pretty standard stuff, but it never gets old (for me). It always simple, hack, slash, jump, backtracking here and there, and voila, I'm pleased.

But the Western RPG genre is just a storm, impossible to miss.

First it was Jade Empire with its vibrant world nad charming eastern ambientation, then Mass Effect and its revolutionary moral system, then Oblivion with endlessa mounts of fun and customization, then Fallout 3 that is fairly Oblivion with Guns (and just as good). But only in the recent months the genre became a poewrhouse of revolution. Skyrim as you know is oblivion on esteroids, then Amalur became the best WoW since Wow, after it Mass Effect became the epitome of a dream come true, a game spanning 3 games, great.

but I wan't ready, I wasn't ready for THE WITCHER.

The Witcher 2 is the most un cliche of un cliche games. Your protagonist? An ugly scarred hated anti  hero who works for pay.
Your mission? Just get money.
Your world? A decaying kingdom of civil wars, fallen kings and fights between races.
You are not saving the world, you are just living your story while watching a greater one happening, and it doesn't notice you. People doesn't respect you, guards doesn't fear you, you're a pawn, and they know it, you know it.

What makes the Witcher so special?

It's just foregin.
You have never played a game like this one before. Not only cliche fantasy races are twisted from their source material as it gets (Pretty Elves? not here, just bandits that like to tell pretty stories about themselves, for example). Potions aren't abusable, they can kill you, you must get every recipe for making anything, saving a maid in distress could cost you your head, or someone else's, refusing the offer from your mission giver won't break your game, etc...
The game is not about freeedom, it's a bout a story, a story that you shape but don't control. Were you impressed by ME choices? They don't hold a candle to this game. Did punch a mean guard in the prologue? He will come and steal all your weapons PERMANENTLY in the third act. That's the way it works here.

Did I mention than depending of a choice you have to make in 10 seconds you get a completely different game afterwards?

And the combat, ooh, the combat, I've never, ever, encountered such a fine sword combat engine. Every swing counts, a single enemy could kill you,  but it's not unfair, this is no hack and slash, but the combat is so responsive and satisfying that you'll wish every fight was a little longer.

Add enormous bosses, magic and one of the best stories in the medium to make a game o be remembered by anyone who plays it.

I can't beg enoug, buy, play this game, and talk other about it, it's made with such care, with such love that no other AAA production has (besides Rockstar games,  Arkham games and Elder Scrolls games). It's something like nothing before, and like nothing that will come afterwards, besides the new Witcher.

And after all, the biggest compliment that I could give to it, it's that all its rpg intricancies and complexity just melts with your brain, after a while, you won't think of number stats or skills, you'll just play.

Not bad for the most hardcore AAA game out there.

Everything comes full circle

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (or How I fell in love)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »
+1
I just got done playing the first one, and I had a lot of fun. The game was really easy, but really fun.

I did like how the game did carry more weight with its consequences than I expected. Or how I was able to pick and choose sides (well, up to a point, when they make you stick with the group you sided with) depending on which side I thought was more deserving of help.

I've been hearing a LOT about this now that it's getting a console release. I'm still debating on whether I should buy the console version, or wait until I have a more powerful PC and play it then. I guess it depends on what they take out of the console version.

Can't wait to find out what happens with
(click to show/hide)

e.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:16:26 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:51 AM »
+1
Just wanted to point out. Mass Effect's system was not revolutionary. Their previous series KoTOR has a better system. There might even things that is almost as good that came before those but I don't know for sure.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
I heard that the game was uber-epic. Unfortunately, I do not own the hardware, or the time to play such an addicting game.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »
+2
I mourn... for my PC is not of the caliber that it needs to be to play this incredible looking game....

.... what am I saying? Having bad hardware is saving me from sinking my precious hours into gaming addiction!  ;D

..... actually, it's still...  :-\ :-[ :'( - having very little money sucks, bigtime.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
+1
I mourn... for my PC is not of the caliber that it needs to be to play this incredible looking game....

.... what am I saying? Having bad hardware is saving me from sinking my precious hours into gaming addiction!  ;D

..... actually, it's still...  :-\ :-[ :'( - having very little money sucks, bigtime.

I can feel you bro........
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
+1
For those without PC's, 360 version is amazing. No doubt it's beautiful on PC but I had my jaw dropping lots of times in my playthorugh.
Can't wait to find out what happens with
You have No idea...  ;D

Everything comes full circle

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
+1
as a PC player, I opt the console version until the hardware gets cheap (two - three years)

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags: