Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 282735 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1695 on: February 04, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
Finally got a 2DS a couple months ago.
Consuming A Link Between Worlds right now.
Probably going to burn through the entire library of 3DS titles over the next year or so.

I'm especially looking forward to the remakes of Ocarina and Majora since I never beat those.
And Bravely Default as well.

Any recommendations?
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1696 on: February 04, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
Nothing comes to mind for 2DS/3DS titles  :-\

I recently bought Darksiders 3. So far I'm enjoying what it is, but the studio could have spent a little more time polishing it as the game is a bit rough around the edges. The combat system reminds me of the PS3 Ninja Gaiden games where you need to be careful or the enemies will hand you your @$$. Others have mentioned a similarity to the souls series in terms of combat but more forgiving. Personally the game could use more armour pieces for you to utilise. There are other armous in the game but I've not found them and there's not a whole lot either. You'd think the forge you visit would be able to allow you to craft more and better gear, but no. It's just to improve relics for your weapon slots. At least the souls you collect up your stats a bit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:40:46 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1697 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »
+1
Don't mean to kill your buzz, and maybe I'm just in the minority here, but I thought Majora's Mask 3D was terrible. A lot of the weirdness that made the original so great is really toned down and geared toward five-year-olds. It doesn't play much like the original and I think that's a really bad thing.

This guy did a pretty good video on what doesn't work in the remake and how things were changed to make the experience less enjoyable. Basically it boils down to the original being a pretty hardcore gaming experience both in gameplay and atmosphere, and the remake steamrolls over all that to make it more accessible.

I'll come back with some 3DS recommendations later because there's quite a number of really good games for it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1698 on: February 05, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
Wow. That doesn't sound like a good remake. I was personally waiting to hear about the damned 3 day time limit thingy. But no surprise there it was left alone. They could have added the option to play the game with or without the time limit which in my mind would have grabbed a lot more players then all the tampering mentioned in that video. I personally feel that what made the original more difficult for casual players was the fact that they were on the clock. There was no time to relax and take in the environment. Instead your put under pressure to get what you needed to done before time runs out. This is solely my beef with MM. But if they put in an option to remove the time limit I would have seriously considered giving this game a play-through.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Can't stop listening to Oonagh music
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #1699 on: February 07, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
I made a tumblr post about Ada Wong dying.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1700 on: February 07, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
The time aspect of Majora's Mask is its strongest element. Removing that would completely break the game. Once you learn the song to slow down time, it's not a big issue.

Although that really long sidequest with the love letters can be a pain. I watched my brother fail it just feet away from finishing.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #1701 on: February 08, 2019, 07:50:55 AM »
Civ 2: multiplayer gold edition (PC)
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS)
Bravely Default (3DS)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1702 on: February 08, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »
@Abnormal Freak:
I appreciate the info. More so than deter me from playing it, now I want to hack the flaws out of the game.

@X:
Yeah, I never got into it the first time around for the same reason. That time limit really turned me off.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1703 on: February 22, 2019, 09:35:10 AM »
Giving the new Switch game Monsterboy and the cursed kingdom a shot. I'm liking it so far. And I like the stainedglass windows on the church, showing heroes from the previous games.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Can't stop listening to Oonagh music
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #1704 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:59 PM »
I started playing FF9

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13214484/1/Tender-Crisp-Bacon-Cheddar-Garnet

And I wrote a fanfic about it.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1705 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
I also recently got a 3DS. Working my way through Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time 3D. The latter is arguably better than the N64 version. As for the former, it's like 25% remake and 75% sequel to ALttP. A very weird concept. If it was completely original, I think I'd like it more, because it does have a lot of really strong new ideas in it. As it is, it's very, very good once it gets going (especially after three or four dungeons). It handles non-linearity better than Breath of the Wild, in my opinion. The bosses are surprisingly intense, and the controls and screen transitions are the best in the overhead 2D Zelda pantheon.

I have to back up Abnormal Freak on the greatness of the original N64 Majora's Mask. The game is totally built around the time limit on purpose, and is honestly really fair about it more often than not. It's meant to be challenging and have you manage your time (like, say, Pikmin 1)--which plays right into the themes and mood of the story. You're supposed to feel the stress of a world facing an apocalypse. It and Ocarina are neck and neck. Ocarina has more of the classic "epic" feel, but Majora's has a more fleshed out world and more innovative eccentricities.

From what I've read and seen about Majora's Mask 3D, it really went overboard on some of the changes, and kind of altered what the core experience is supposed to be. I'm going to check it out eventually, but I'm pretty upset at some of the changes--permanent owl statue saves, no momentum for Deku Link's spin move, no speed swimming for Zora Link without magic, bosses have more blatant/corny weak points, etc. I did get a chance to play a demo of the game when it first came out at a store, and I did think it looked great and that the 3D camera control was a nice touch. I just wish it'd been more faithful like the Ocarina of Time remake was. Some of the changes are kind of to the extent of if you got rid of the alert phases from Metal Gear. They're that fundamental, I feel. They're taking away some of the consequences and learning process through exploration and trial and error. Others are a plus/minus situation. Like, once you can control time more, it makes it easier to get to the time when certain events happen. But before, you would go in different increments and multi-task during the time you have to wait between events. It also made finding those events more surprising and rewarding in some ways, because you couldn't just skip ahead to them to find them. I think it'll feel a lot less organic and more like this game is on fast-forward now with these new updates.

Truthfully, I'm still waiting for an overall 3D Zelda experience that tops Ocarina AND Majora's Mask, because they're still the best in the 3D space, in my opinion, and Breath of the Wild really didn't do it for me.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:51:17 PM by RichterB »

Offline JR

• Pavlov's Dong
  • Master Hunter
  • I clearly remember it being spelled WolfenSTAIN
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1706 on: February 24, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
Just played Mega Man X3 again...I've always enjoyed this and the first MMX over the years. But then it hit me: is it kind of crappy that a lot of the bosses are super-hard with the Buster, but then a complete cakewalk with the right weapon? Should there be more of a middle ground in terms of boss difficulty? Or am I just becoming old and cranky?
I like big butts, but I do have the tendency to lie quite a bit.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1707 on: February 25, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »
Just played Mega Man X3 again...I've always enjoyed this and the first MMX over the years. But then it hit me: is it kind of crappy that a lot of the bosses are super-hard with the Buster, but then a complete cakewalk with the right weapon? Should there be more of a middle ground in terms of boss difficulty? Or am I just becoming old and cranky?

Even in the original games the use of certain weapons against boss characters could easily win a fight for you. Not so much now in more recent titles. In MM2 Fireman's weapon on full charge can wipe the floor with Woodman in one shot on easy mode. Two or three on normal mode. Metalman's weapon against metalman will one-hit-kill him too, lol. Personally I miss those early gameplay mechanics. But Capcom thinks that extending boss fights will make for a better MM experience. Personally it kinda defeats the purpose of collecting said weapon in order to defeat a boss character that the player is struggling with otherwise. If there's a boss that's really pissing you off you just want it gone--No struggling.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:38:38 AM by X »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #1708 on: March 20, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »
Legend of Zelda Tri-Force Heroes...

I'm playing it solo, and it's kinda boring.
Without the multiplayer element and basically no exploration at all, well... it makes the Drablands really earn their name.
The costumes are neat though. Some of the effects used in these costumes would be cool to have in Breath of the Wild.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1709 on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
Really thinking both Crayon Shinchan games on SFC ( I want those in my collection, the Mega Drive one is $100, fuck that), or a round of Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure on the SFC (that one I DO own), the non-linear Japanese version.

Tags: