Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New/Young Castlevania fans?  (Read 9482 times)

Geshmaal

New/Young Castlevania fans?
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:16:09 AM »
I'm 15, and although I've not completed any of the Castlevania titles (well, ALMOST done DoS), I've fallen in love with the gameplay style of the series. I've played Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania 4 and Bloodlines from the original style, and I've had a little go of Circle of the moon and Harmony of Dissonance with the newer style, but not gotten very far. Could anyone reccomend me a good place to start when I've finished DoS? I've asked for Dracula X Chronicles for Christmas. Also, is there anyone else my age who would much rather play a side scroller to some new fps? First post, be nice! :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:03:50 AM by Geshmaal »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:24:11 AM »
Dracula X Chronicles will be your best bet, since it includes Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood. Also, you should look for Aria of Sorrow, the prequel to DoS.

I prefer side scrolling to fps anyday  :)

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
In Reply To #1

Wel, I'm 13, not 15, but yes, I prefer Castlevania to any FPS there is. And I have finished a lot of Castlevania's. I reccomend the GBA games, AoS is where I started. If you have a PS2, Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are great. Dracula X Chronicles is also a good idea, I'm also getting that for Christmas (I'm so excited!!). So yeah, those that I mentioned are great.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: New/Young Castlevania fans?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
I'm 19 now but I've been in love with Castlevania and Action/Adventure/RPG games for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I'd play anything but for the past 9 years or so I've focused on action, adventure, and RPG games. Mainly Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, and any good RPG like Oblivion.

Geshmaal

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »
Ok, got Aria of Sorrow on my PSP (Emulator), anyone reccomend a classic Castlevania game with a friendly difficulty curve?

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
In Reply To #5

Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:13:05 PM »
Since he said, "original style," when he said Curse of Dracula, I believe he meant Dracula's Curse.

For one you haven't played that isn't Rondo of Blood, you may want to look into picking up the original Castlevania for Gameboy Advance.  Most of those older games will be quite challenging, so it isn't easy to pick out one that is especially easy.  But, Rondo and Super CV 4 are probably the most flexible as far as controls.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:14:47 PM by Blue Successor »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
Ok, got Aria of Sorrow on my PSP (Emulator), anyone reccomend a classic Castlevania game with a friendly difficulty curve?

simon's quest and Super Castlevania 4.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
In Reply To #1

Im 18 and while the games aren't my favorite style (Tactical RPGs [Vandal Hearts II is the greatest game ever] are more my style.)I like to take it easy and play them. Plus it is fun to show off your whip skills. I recommend beating Super Castlevania IV next. It rules.
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

SymboliC

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »

Any young one who enjoys classic Castlevania gameplay is broadminded, IMO.

Not unlike a 21-yr.old troll somewhere... ::)

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
In Reply To #10

Trolls are such graphix wh0r3s. Sittin in their caves guard'n their elvish treasure and playin Halo 3 while drinking mountain dew. For Middle EaeARtHE!
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:08:55 PM »
For Middle EaeARtHE!

Wow that misspelling is so full of win! haha

Anyways, Clara is like my equivalently gaming twin sister regarding this... and though I haven't been playing Oblivion as much, I've gone back to Diablo 2. 

I'm currently making an crushing blow smiter for uber killing.  ;D

Geshmaal

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 12:07:10 AM »
Since he said, "original style," when he said Curse of Dracula, I believe he meant Dracula's Curse.

Yeah, sorry about that, I had Curse of Darkness on my mind >_>   
Ok, so I'll have a go at completing Super Castlevania IV! On stage 6 of it, where I seem to be killed by some form of light (probably something lost in emulation), but I'll persevere! I like the 8 directional attacks and whip swinging of Super Castlevania IV in particular, but I've heard they're pretty unique features.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
In Reply To #13

You will not see multidirectional swinging like that in any other game.  The closest ones are Bloodlines, Chronicles, and some whips in Portrait of Ruin (in Bloodlines you will not get whip brandishing, and in Chronicles/X68000 you will not get the upper three directions OR the whip brandish).

The light that is killing you is a Flash Ectoplasm.  They're wobbly multi-colored translucent blobs that bounce around the screen diagonally.  Usually they don't show up at all on emulators or they show up as a glitch effect.

You can also try and find Castlevania Chronicles for Playstation (1).  It's a faithful remake of an old PC rendition of Castlevania, but with a more updated set of controls.  You still play as Simon Belmont and you play through many of the 'classic' Castlevania stages, using controls similar to those of SuperCV4.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
I'm 19 years old.  I got a taste of CV2 when I was a kid, but didn't get back into the series until I turned 14 and bought Harmony of Dissonance.  Lest to say, I now own about 90% of the CastleVania series released in America.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Tags: