Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing  (Read 26203 times)

Offline pimp dracula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »
+1
This topic may be old but here is my take.

Many people were saying that LoS should not be a CV title since it doesn't resemble any CV element except for the fact that the MC is a Belmont. That's not true. Yes, many elements are new on the series, but it still feels like a CV game to me. Here's why:

The Stage System
Older Castlevania (Classicvanias) are played with simplicity. Just whoop some baddies, reach the finish line and beat the boss. This game have the same formula. Beat the stage to proceed to the next one.

Stage checkpoint
Another element from Classicvanias. You restart from the last checkpoint if you ever fail the level by either getting fall from a pit (in this case you only take damage) or simply get beat up by baddies.

Subweapons
This element never left any CV title and LoS is not an exception. You get to use things like dagger and holy water. Maybe some hack n slash games have this feature but I think it's still different. Look at DMC. He use guns as subweapons and we never see this thing on a CV game as a subweapon.

Platforming
Who said LoS was just a pure hack n slash game without any substance? You need to jump to some platforms to reach certain areas. This were not much on a factor on the previous CV games but you will see Gabriel swinging with his chain just like Simon on CV4.

Backtracking
A feature started in Simon's Quest. Unlike CV2 or any Metroidvanias, you don't  return in some level because you can't reach some areas of it but rather you have to master it to obtain some power-ups. Like Rondo, you will find some areas for an alternate route. In LoS case, this means new moves for Gabe.

The Gothic Horror theme
You will see enemies like werewolf, vampires, demons and stuff. That's what Castlevania is about. Unless you prefer the anime themed one (Legends, RoB, DoS and PoR). This is a standard element for a CV game.

And the least important but still a factor somehow..

Characters
There are some returning characters from previous games like Conell and Camilla. Being able to play a Belmont with a whip is CV-isque enough for me. Fan favorites like Simon and Alucard are returning in the sequel. Where is Dracula? Well, unless you finished the game or just want to be spoiled here it is
(click to show/hide)

That's all I have to say (for now at least) but hey! Everyone have different opinion.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: I don't get the "LoS isn't a CV game" thing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
+5
We have a topic dedicated to finding CV elements in Lords. Perhaps one of the biggest is the fact that the combat system is exactly the same as the one in Lament. It's often forgotten that Lament set the trend that God of War followed, so many modern 3D action games followed Castlevania.

However, you're using some of the most vague qualifiers ever. Jumping, linearity, and continues makes Lords a Castlevania game? You've just described basic video game staples unique to about 3/4 of all video games released since 1986. You can see most of your attributes here:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis in 19:55

Damn dude, you've done the impossible. You've made Sonic the Hedgehog a Castlevania title.

Also werewolves and demons were in DoS and PoR.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
I guess it's also worth mentioning that linear stages/areas were in PoR, OoE, and CoD, especially the latter. You can return to them if you want, but once you kill the boss then you've done all that you've needed to do.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
Why does TC feel the need to convince people here that LoS is a CV title?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »
Nothing will convince me. I gave the game a shot but by the time I got to the Dracolich I was done with it. It just isn't CV-ish by any stretch to me. Name drops and the title is as far as it goes but otherwise a complete stranger of a game. Others here will feel differently about it though and that's all anyone should expect.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
LoS = Lord of the Rings spinoff with Castlevania title thrown on during the finishing touches of the game. Also random character names from the old game and fairy subweapon. lolololololol
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
+2
Yeah I dont get it either. I saw plenty of CV elements in LoS. perhaps certain PARTS of the first area are somewhat alien, but classic CV's had forests and ancient ruins too, so...

BTW, link to said thread

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,3625
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Castlevania purists, simple as that. I personally thought it was a fine game, but to bear the Castlevania name, a few name drops here and there isn't going to cut it exactly.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
+1
Castlevania purists, simple as that. I personally thought it was a fine game, but to bear the Castlevania name, a few name drops here and there isn't going to cut it exactly.
Exactly.  The purists don't like LoS because they believe that a CV has that specific style of music,
(click to show/hide)
, and requires you to be stuck in Dracula's castle for most of (if not all of) the game.  They seem to see the game as blasphemy.
The game itself was great.  They are a few things that I have issue with, but that has to do with the gameplay and not if it is a "true CV" or not.  If it wasn't for the name drops and the CV name in the title, there likely wouldn't be hated by the purists.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
+5
LoS has "Castlevania" in the title. So that's it.
Now, if we're talking about its relation with the series, it's a Castevania begins game; we saw the Dracula less world, in its natural state, it's a first chapter (We did't know that, really) so it has the right to be somewhat different, but also has enough series staples to not be a completely outsider game.

And seriously, if you didn't feel the "Castlevania" in the castle part, you seriously couldn't with anything else.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
+2
It's more than just name drops though. Areas and environments, the main character, enemies, whip combat, (which is VERY similar to LoI) subweapons, stuff like that. certain areas had a definite Castlevania atmosphere too. Specifically the castle, but some of the other parts hard their grounds in the classic CV's. ancient ruins, dark forests...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
I don't get why the OP talks like the forum have only one opinion. The number of people here who thinks LoS is a CV game can be on the minority size, but they have oppinions just as valid as the ones who don't see CV in LoS are.

Offline pimp dracula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
I respect everyone's opinion here and I'm not trying to knock some people who thinks the opposite. I just stated some facts. Like I said before, everyone has different opinion. I did not post this thread to "convince people" that LoS is played just like other CV games. I only post on what I saw in the game and that's how I see it.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
+1
LoS didn't feel entirely CV-ish to me until Chapter 5. From that point on, it really did. In fact, it felt like a 3D CVII at times. It took some build up but by the time you got close to the castle, things started making sense to me on a bigger scale.
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
I respect everyone's opinion here and I'm not trying to knock some people who thinks the opposite. I just stated some facts. Like I said before, everyone has different opinion. I did not post this thread to "convince people" that LoS is played just like other CV games. I only post on what I saw in the game and that's how I see it.
And people already stated their oppinions on why they don't think LoS is CV enough for them. So, what's the point of this topic?

Tags:

anything