Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I want to know why is  (Read 41473 times)

Offline Skycaptain Steampunk

• Hunter in Training
  • "Eu sunt Dracul!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »
I want to know why is, they hate the games of cox so much, i am try to write with no insult, i want to know why, i want to know why they hate mirror of fate and lords of shadows and every thing, don't come to tell me if you like, i know why is the best game, this is for peoples they hate it, i want to know why, its just that, i don't understand.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
Well MOF's hate was summed up in the thread about "is it a system seller?" Jorge is pretty open but even his review of the game was scathing.

As for LOS, there are lots of fans of it on here. I think most of the criticisms for it are it's sloppy and unoriginal.

As for Cox, the guy's an ass. As I said in another thread, he needs to stop trying to be like Sam Raimi and come up with something original. Direct a good game without a name behind it. Yes, he can potentially create a new hit franchise. It's been done before. LoS shows he has the potential, so now he just needs to step up and actually pull something worthwhile out of MercurySteam. I consider MoF just a workbench. MoF was apparently a workbench that should have never even made it off the table. We'll see where LoS2 goes, but after that Cox and MS need to start being original if they want to really make a name for their company.

Konami would have been better off working with Falcom and their subsidiaries for the next gen of Castlevania games. An Ys x Castlevania crossover would be sick!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:10:15 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:09:29 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »
Because

Family Guy - Stewie Doesnt Like Change

Joking aside, there is some truth to that. It is radically different to what people have become accustomed to, it is a very different reimagining of the franchise, and some people just did not like the change, or did not like the design choices. Some people hate the gameplay, others hate the more fantasy elements like the Agharta areas. others hate the QTE's, the list goes on as far as what people might dislike, because the argument that always comes up is "it's not Castlevania", and the problem is that Castlevania is different things to different people.

Personally, I loved LoS, I was not disappointed by it. There WERE some things that could have been handled better, (the DLC for instance, which was supposed to be part of the full game, or the limited soundtrack,) And I acknowledge that what I liked, some might have hated. But I liked it, I bought it, That's all that I really care about.

That said, I still have no qualms getting into a LoS debate!
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:37:50 PM »
+1
Castlevania games have done a lot of different things over the years, but it wasn't until Lords of Shadow that I found myself looking at a game in the series and wondering, "Why the fuck is this a Castlevania game?"

I could write out a very lengthy and detailed post about all the things I don't care for with regards to Lords of Shadow, but it can be summed up thusly; change is fine and I've accepted change in the series before, but to me Lords of Shadow has lost the very soul of Castlevania; not only are all the things I think of when I think of Castlevania absent, but the producer has gone on record outright mocking some of them, which only serves to embitter me over the whole thing.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
I think Lords of Shadow is an ok game, but it's just incredibly generic. Mirror of Fate was too boring for me. I had to force myself to play through it because I just wasn't having much fun. My biggest problem with LoS and MoF is the combat. It's so tedious.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:14:04 AM »
For MoF, because lolcheckpoints. :P
The overabundance of it makes me think Cox thinks we're pussies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:19:51 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »
The problems I see summed up in a few words:
Cox. His attitude has a problem.
LoS. Could have been another game without the Castlevania title.
MoF. QTEs, Checkpoints, Button Mashing.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:32:42 AM »
+1
Castlevania games have done a lot of different things over the years, but it wasn't until Lords of Shadow that I found myself looking at a game in the series and wondering, "Why the fuck is this a Castlevania game?"

I think Lords of Shadow is an ok game, but it's just incredibly generic. 

This and this. I think I actually wouldn't have minded the first point if it weren't for the second.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:38:46 AM »
Uh oh, here comes the inevitable "Well, I thought [game(s) produced by IGA] were generic & lacking Castlevania's soul!!" rebuttals  :o

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
Well as a fan of the games I can see where the hate is coming from.

1. Lords of Shadow 1, while I think it was good, it could have been any other fantasy action game if you took the Castlevania name off it and no one would really bat an eye.

2 MoF had to follow up on three critically acclaimed DS game and it turns out it's not even close to any of them. Whereas Lords of Shadow only had to follow up 4 ok to mediocre 3D games, MoF had ALOT to live up to and it looks like it didn't meet thoses expectations.

3. Cox hubris would put Sony 2006 to shame. Nothing more to say about that.

As for Lords of Shadow 2, well someone that saw it behind closed doors said that it was the most impressive thing he's seen in a long time but im sure that's just hyperbole.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »
Personally i like LoS. couldve been better, gameplay wise but im a gamer who enjoys backgrounds and i sometimes find myself walking around just to view my surroundings. Playing LoS makes me feel like im re-living some of the older CV titles when i see those gorgeous environments. I tip my hat to the game for visuals. As for gameplay in LoS i felt the platforming was forced, like they wanted it to be hard but in a retarded way.... examples:LoS, So im holding on to the shiny blue thing with the combat cross, i gotta kick off to pass this random wall flame, get to top and there is another one? Seems uninteresting. SCIV, there are razors going around platforms i gotta wait for while swinging then hurry up jump on the platform and grab the next hook. To make it harder, there are waterfalls crashing so my vision will be impaired.... AWESOME. all in all the game {LoS} was flawed but could be forgiven if Cox decides to listen to his fans  for LoS2 (which he wont) and based off the judement of fellow dungeon heads, i will not purchase a 3DS for MoF. i value others opinions and ill just wait for the next console game ;D
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »

LoS. Could have been another game without the Castlevania title.
MoF. QTEs, Checkpoints, Button Mashing.
see, I disagree.

were it a new Ip, people would instead be talking about how much like castlevania it is, and much like Hideo Kojima, wondering why it ISNT a cv game.,
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
+3
I want to know why is, they hate the games of cox so much, i am try to write with no insult, i want to know why, i want to know why they hate mirror of fate and lords of shadows and every thing, don't come to tell me if you like, i know why is the best game, this is for peoples they hate it, i want to know why, its just that, i don't understand.

You seem to be asking the same question repeatedly, perhaps due to language barrier or maybe you don't understand where the hate comes from. I'll make it very simple for you.

Every Castlevania game that has been released has gotten some kind of hate, either in small or large amounts. This is due to difference of opinion, in terms of who likes what in a game series. Some fans believe each new game should follow a certain pattern or fit into a certain mold that earlier games had established, while others believe every new game should be fresh with new elements introduced. A large majority of Castlevania fans want a happy medium of having certain elements stay the same as older installments (creepy gothic atmosphere, memorable music, disgusting undead monsters & a guy with a whip) and the rest is open to changes.

Lords of Shadow broke a couple of those taboos. It had more high fantasy elements than genuinely creepy and gothic ones, and the ones it did were limited to certain areas only. It had music that was largely forgettable for several reasons. It had monsters that seemed more like they were out of Lord of the Rings than the usual mythological or horror-based enemies that had been in games up until then. It also suffered from taking too many gameplay elements from other games such as God of War, and there was a lot of grinding that could get tedious. Some people, myself included, basically believed that too few Castlevania elements were present to actually call the game "Castlevania". Instead, many have consoled themselves with the idea that the Lords of Shadow games can instead be an alternate-universe Castlevania game, as opposed to a "re-imagining" reboot of the classic story. This tends to smooth things out.

Long story-short...Lords of Shadow has been a grand experiment by a new producer and development team to put their spin on the Castlevania franchise. Some took to it well, including people outside the core fandom just trying Castlevania for the first time....but the vast majority of the older Castlevania fan community have some gripe with LoS ranging from the minor to the flame-war-inducing.

Your best option is just to take this all for what it is, Steampunk - a difference in tastes that isn't quite worth starting a full-blown tantrum about since Cox is only supposed to be doing these games through to Lords of Shadow 2. After that, it's anyone's game.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:10:24 AM by Sindra »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
My gripe with LoS was mainly the gameplay and the lack of music despite the massive soundtrack for it. But Sindra has pretty much summed it all up for everyone here. So take her advice Skycaptain Steampunk; Listen and learn. Then you'll know why many of us feel differently then you do about Cox, Mercurysteam and the LoS series.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything