Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castlevania!!!???!!! (DS)  (Read 146547 times)

Offline Algernon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: New Castlevania!!!???!!! (DS)
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:15 AM »
For the record, games that are early in development often re-use old sprites and backgrounds for testing purposes until the new ones are completed.

But you're right about the sprite thing.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2008, 08:27:51 AM »
You can tell the new ones are fake simply because the outside of Dracula's room is ripped straight from the HOD and the main character chick is pixeled in such a way as if someone saved the sprite (after being cleaned up from the leaked screenshot, which I assume they got the sprite) as a jpg or a gif on ms paint and pasted it on the background(which is crisp and clear.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:32:49 AM by Serio »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
I've just noticed guys that the link i have made to the thread of PORTRAITofRUIN at gamefaqs has been deleted!!

Isn't this mysterious?

Hey Serio, the colors at your screen shot are a little faded for SOTN.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:33:03 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
In Reply To #318

:o Wonder why that happened, perhaps there is something super secret and mysterious causing... trouble.......!!!
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2008, 12:48:46 PM »
Posts get deleted all the time. OMG CONSPIRACY

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »
Hey Serio, the colors at your screen shot are a little faded for SOTN.
Faded? They're oversaturated. If you ever saw sotn and that scene you'd know, the original was much darker and less neony.

This was my attempt to "por"-ize a sotn screenshot. So basically this is almost how sotn would look like if the por team made it. They wouldn't do all those cool loose bricks under the stairway, but rather have it cleanly cut and evenly tiled there. :P

Offline Beowulf

• Belmont Wanna-be
  • Hunter in Training
  • SOUL STEAL
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »
In Reply To #310

Its not really that its a girl its just that im not getting as much fun as i once did for Castlevania but i still play them anyway lol but the SOTN thing, i did not really like the new revamp cause they took out "Die Monster! You do not belong in this world!" and the other quotes. I mean thats cool they made it more understandable with what the situation is and all but at least add the old SOTN as like a bonus to Dracula X chronicles or somethin'
Dear Konami. Where is my Castlevania?

goddamnbathead

« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »
This was my attempt to "por"-ize a sotn screenshot. So basically this is almost how sotn would look like if the por team made it. They wouldn't do all those cool loose bricks under the stairway, but rather have it cleanly cut and evenly tiled there. :P

Two can play at this.

Behold, PoR by the Commodore 64 CV1 team:

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »
Two can play at this.

Behold, PoR by the Commodore 64 CV1 team:

Now there's funny, and then there's fricken hilarious. This falls under the second category.  ;D

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
Faded? They're oversaturated. If you ever saw sotn and that scene you'd know, the original was much darker and less neony.

That style doesn't mimic PoR's style at all.  It's actually quite close to what a HoD style SotN would look like though.  PoR had subdued background colors.  You're right about everyhing being much "cleaner" and "straight" than SotN.  Otherwise, the quality of background design between PoR and SotN wasn't that great.  The artists had talent.  But for a lack of time or imagination, all the areas were much too structured.  Jonathan and Charlotte had the neon colors going on.  As did most of the enemies in DoS for that matter.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
Everything was outlined to all hell though. in pork, that includes the backgrounds.

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
True.  The same applies to pretty much all Iga 2D Castlevanias after SotN.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:34 AM »
Indeed.  What the hell happened after SotN?  Why did it become necessary to outline everything and make everything bright?  I can understand compensating for the original GBA not having a backlight, but DoS and PoR have no excuse whatsoever.  SotN has visuals that, although 2D, look somewhat realistic and convincing.  DoS and PoR both look animated through and through, for reasons I'll never understand.  The PSP DXC shows that it's not necessary to have bright visuals on a handheld CV.  And the DS can easily handle SotN-style visuals, even if they aren't the same resolution.

Platforming and level design also took a huge nosedive after SotN.  It seems like the people who were actually responsible for the Wonder that is SotN are no longer with the CV team, and Iga ended up with all the credit for some unknown reason.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2008, 06:00:27 AM »
Hod's outlines were only the Alucard style outlines, except without transparency and cool resizing effects. Aos had some on soma, dos outlined every character and many enemies, and pork not only did the same dos did it also started outlining backgrounds.

So yeah it seems the outlining is like a cancer, slowly progressing, infecting the body of cv and killing it. :P

Offline Algernon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »
Dude, who the hell cares about outlines? Both DS Castlevanias had awesome 2D spritework and were incredibly fun to play. I don't really care how different the style is from classic CV, it's a blast to play all the same.

Tags:

anything