Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dave Cox Busted  (Read 16917 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
+1
I believe it varies by company, in where there is likely a legal minimum and they can choose to disclose more if they want to. My company is not publicly traded so I honestly haven't looked into what the legal minimum disclosure is. I don't believe they are required to disclose per game though, but I could be wrong.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
+4
Just to clarify, I think cecil-kain's heart is in the right place and I support the idea of OP.
I agree with this.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
+1
I was being a douchebag (sorry ;-;), but yeah, I actually agree with Cecil too on a few points. But man, you need to rethink your strategy. You've been doing things in a really awkward way that comes off as unintentionally comical and that's been hurting your cause from day 1.

Offline jimmay17

• "Naysayer"
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
+3
This place really is an ugly mob sometimes.
If I forgot "everything I knew about Castlevania" I certainly wouldn't be excited about a new one coming out now would I?

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
I think maybe if someone called Konami up and said they were interested in buying some shares of the company and would like to speak to a promoter or someone who would be able to deal with some concerns over sales figures over recent years, maybe you could get some leakage out of them.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
This place really is an ugly mob sometimes.
>various people disagreeing with someone and/or calling them out on things they don't like

>Mob

ok.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline jimmay17

• "Naysayer"
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
+1
Disagreeing is one thing, calling another poster's obviously lengthy research and analysis--even if based on unreliable data--a joke and the work of a dunce, and then, as a herd, proclaiming the poster just a front for a personal vendetta against Dave Cox--a moderator joining in no less--yeah, I call that an Internet mob.
But please, do carry on.
If I forgot "everything I knew about Castlevania" I certainly wouldn't be excited about a new one coming out now would I?

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »
Disagreeing is one thing, calling another poster's obviously lengthy research and analysis--even if based on unreliable data--a joke and the work of a dunce, and then, as a herd, proclaiming the poster just a front for a personal vendetta against Dave Cox--a moderator joining in no less--yeah, I call that an Internet mob.
But please, do carry on.

I would say that these people are making observations. I'm sure most of those opinions didn't in fact start root just in this thread with this claim of research.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
It's just part of how the board rolls, Jimmay--and I think you'll find it to be the same at other Castlevania places too. Folks may have been rough on Cecil, but no-one's really being malicious, and I wouldn't say we're being unduly harsh, either. If you make a statement people see as egregiously incorrect, or use inaccurate data (as Cecil did), they'll call you out on it, and they won't be overly gentle with you either. That doesn't mean they're a mob--since, after all, mobs aim to demolish rather than correct, and mobs won't just laugh it off and (metaphorically) buy you a beer later on when it's all blown over.

It's just something a wise person gets used to when hanging 'round most forums in the Castlevania fandom (not just this one), in my experience.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »
Just to clarify, I hold no ill will towards cecil-kain. I like him, he's a nice guy, and seems like smart dude. That said, I still hold up to my previous statements regarding OA and his role in it.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline superDioplus

• Unknown
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Shinshoku no Roen
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »
This all seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining.
Condemned Red Spirit

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:43 AM »
Just a few closing thoughts before I bow out of this conversation.

I made the decision to give vgchartz the benefit of the doubt that their *archival* Castlevania sales data is reasonably accurate.  I take full responsibility for that decision.  I came into this conversation knowing full well that many of you have personal biases against that source, and against Operation: Akumajo in general.  From the outset, I’ve invited naysayers to fact-check my work --as I myself have made every reasonable effort to do before posting this report.  Regardless, I doubt this topic would have turned out much differently if I had obtained insider access from a non-public source that the naysayers couldn’t access to verify for themselves.

I appreciate the more constructive feedback from Sindra, Jorge, and a few others, but it’s become obvious to me now that the Castlevania Dungeon is no longer a place that I can expect to maintain a reasonable or intelligent conversation.

Flame.  You were rude, but you at least had enough courtesy to explain your viewpoint.  I don’t agree with you and I explained why.  Beyond that some of what you said was really over the top.

UZO.  I speak on behalf of my community, just as you speak for your business.  If you run your business badly, customers and employees will leave.  If I run Operation: Akumajo badly, its supporters will leave.  And yet it keeps growing and growing, month after month, year after year --just maybe not as fast as if *you* were in charge.  Really?  Get over yourself.

Jorge.  I’ve always respected you, but this forum has really gone downhill.  When malicious personal attacks and name-calling are openly tolerated, it degrades the whole forum and everyone in it.  With that said, this topic has been completely and hopelessly derailed, please close it.

Respectfully.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:10 AM »
+1
Cecil, if you feel that you're not appreciated for your contributions and that leaving is the best course of action, then that's how you feel things need to go. It's unfortunate. I really would have liked to have seen the "compilation of Dave Cox errors" that we mentioned before. I still think that would be an interesting read for people who might question why there is so much hate for Cox from a sizable chunk of the fanbase.

I will note that saying the forum has gone downhill is not an accurate statement. This is how it has always been, from back when I joined in 2002-03 until now. In fact, it was often much worse. Jorge has actually tightened moderation of the forums in these past years. There will always be people who bitch and complain about something in the fandom. Thick skin is often required. If these nitpicks and negative criticisms bother you enough to want to leave it behind completely, then you would never have survived an encounter with Snappleman back in the day.

I again wish you luck on your venture, though.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
And yet it keeps growing and growing, month after month, year after year --just maybe not as fast as if *you* were in charge.

Well, at least we got one thing straight.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
+2
I am saddened by your words, Cecil-Kain.

I did call people out that their words are being overly harsh.
I will close the topic as you asked.
In addition, the moderation and I will try our best to seek out particularly damaging attacks, though, as Sindra said, with this forum (and any forum), anything you post will be put under scrutiny.  I believe Flame's (yeah I'm calling you on it)  disagreement with your post was overly harsh and I'm actually beginning to be wary of the entire forums' increase in asinine responses.  Must be a Summer thing?  Always happens around this time. It's like people's asshole-rating goes up.

Regardless, if you feel this forum is no longer a place for you to post, no one is tethering you here.  You can continue your operation and I will continue to see posts about it on Facebook, etc.  In an odd way, you have gone and stepped low, by saying you cannot have intelligent discussions here, as a last hurrah.

Like some other people, I am actually on your side on this, and I think your heart is in the right place.

I do not promote 'herd mentality' (in response to Jimmay), and I have tried to be as respectful as possible with my responses.  I would hope that people follow my example when they disagree with something... but the observation I made stands.  That said observation is agreed upon by others is coincidental.

I do promote civility, though... and some of the responses here (Flame, Uzo) lead more towards hostility than civility.
I am ashamed of you.

Topic locked.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: