Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami is already thinking about the next Castlevania game  (Read 26464 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Konami is already thinking about the next Castlevania game
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
This is an article from spanish web 3DJuegos.

Castlevania: LoS 2 producer, Dave Cox, has assured that Konami is already thinking in the new titles based on this veteran franchise, that could very much expand with games "a little different" to those recently seen.

"We plan on doing something different", commented Dave Cox, who admits to have "made mistakes in this last game, which we plan to improve upon in the next one". ¿Who will be in charge of development? Apparently, not MercurySteam.

"I guess that when you have something to say you must say it; and you did, shut up already. And we still have something to say", he claims. "Once we release LoS 2 I believe it will be time for someone to take the post, while we move on to another thing. The saga has evolved in 26 years and I think it is in very good shape right now".

Original article > http://www.3djuegos.com/noticia/135487/0/konami-ya-piensa/proximo-juego-castlevania/
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: Konami is already thinking about the next Castlevania game
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
On a personal note, I'd like to add some things:

I find it difficult to see the franchise as a 26 year solid thing. For me, it is more like 1986-2008, then MercurySteam, and a million doubts about the future.

If Cox will be involved I guess we can guess what the next games will become. My worst fears about CV might come true.
And if he plans to "correct some mistakes" about LoS 2, those fears have some foundations, because that could mean the next game will follow the same patterns... in aesthetic, in gameplay... in music.

I come back from a relaxing trip and I find this, and I'm already feeling so anxious.

Can someone please add some light about this subject? Was a video shown or not?
Any rumors? Anything at all?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »
From the article, it seems that Dave Cox will oversee the next Castlevania project but Mercurysteam isn't involved since they'll be busy with other project's.

And to relax your soul a bit Pfil, Araujo is Mercurysteam's go-to composer when it comes to games, so his style of music won't be apart of the next Castlevania.

Whoever the young new developers are, they're most likely going to be western.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
On the one hand, Cox does care for the franchise a fair bit. So despite gripes people may have with him, if he stays with CV foir a while longer, he might just be what stands between Castlevania, and a shit studio that konami might go to because it's cheaper. (Like Ninja Theory or something)

(in b4 MS is a shit studio, I know it's coming...)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
+3
The problem I have with Cox is he seems to downplay the gripes people have over LoS, and whatever problems are brought up, he tries to spin them as being benefits. I can see this way of thinking carrying over to the next CV, even without MS making it. Cox is enough keep all that stuff going strong in the CV series. For people who don't mind stuff like QTE or damage sponge enemies, I guess that's fine.

Then again, they are hinting that whatever the next project is, it's going to be different than the recent ones(meaning, well, LoS). While I'm likely to roll in the doom and gloom, I do have some curiosity invested in the future of the CV series. I want to know where the series goes from here!

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
+2
This should've been good news but Cox's continued involvement blunts that big-time.  :rollseyes:

On the other hand, we have to keep in mind that even though the producer isn't changing, at least the developer is. So there's some hope yet.

*holding out for Wayforward*

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »
"We plan on doing something different", commented Dave Cox, who admits to have "made mistakes in this last game, which we plan to improve upon in the next one". ¿Who will be in charge of development? Apparently, not MercurySteam.

Sure, because if MercurySteam continues working on it, their mistakes will persist, its not a test lab where you can try again and again, its a well known franchise.

"The saga has evolved in 26 years and I think it is in very good shape right now".

Good shape like Dave Cox being in good shape (which is false) or a really good shape? LOL
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
+3
*holding out for Wayforward*

I second this too. I am also curious about this new CV game that Konami is thinking about, however if it's anything like LoS then it'll be a real deal-breaker for me.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »
Maybe it'll be a dark reboot of the pachislot titles. D:

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:18:11 PM »
+2
Different direction, huh? Hmmmm... This in game form?

Castlevania Dracula Perfect Selection (1991) OST: Beginning

I've heard Cox say on many occasions that he doesn't want to become "Mr. Castlevania", like I guess IGA was for many years. He seems to be itching at that Contra trigger.

I imagine he'd be sick of it working on just those for, what, three years now? But who knows. It was cool to see Cox and MS pull something a little different than expected from the Castlevania hat.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
Cox has been a producer since Castlevania Chronicles so it's not unreasonbale to thin that he's going to be the executive producer or supervisor producer of the next Castlevania, I hope he focuses only on gameplay, though.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
Cox has been a producer since Castlevania Chronicles

Its a joke... right? Hau auu~
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
Different direction, huh? Hmmmm... This in game form?

Castlevania Dracula Perfect Selection (1991) OST: Beginning

After Double Dragon Neon, I can totally see Jake Kaufman doing a song like this for a Wayforward CV.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »

Cox has been working with Konami since 1997, guess what Castlevania game he worked on?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
It has a credits mention (localization manager I think?) and he worked on SOTN too. He's not that an outsider, he was just the underdog that became the master, slowly :P

Cox has been working with Konami since 1997, guess what Castlevania game he worked on?
Yep haha he probably had a bad experience working on it or something beacuse he hates it with passion.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:10:38 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Tags:

anything