Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)  (Read 18854 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: Cox on a new Contra.... (Do we REALLY want it like THAT?)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Okay, so he is not creative enought to create a totally new IP and plans to use a already existing IP and try to mask it as a new IP, when in reality it isnt
This sounds familiar...
I think this has been already done...
Maybe by him, I don't know...
What other games did Cox produce?
What could it be??...

(click to show/hide)

Great... another good franchise doomed.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
You're trying to sell a classic series to people who have never heard of it, and you're doing a disservice to original fans who want a continuation of previous experiences, so in the end nobody really wins because it might as well have just been a new IP. The newcomers aren't going to know the difference anyway, and it's not often that a newcomer will go back to like the old games because they're too different from what they were introduced to.

Very well said.  This is the perfect summary of the problem with so many video game reboots.  It's not like rebooting a book or movie series, where story is 80% of the medium.  Video game reboots change so much more than just story, and they lose the point of the original game continuity in doing so.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
+1
I'd love to see someone breathe new life into Contra, but probably not anyone Konami will allow Cox to work with.

If it retains ridiculous setpieces, a frenetic pace, no reloading, no waist high cover dickery, and a sense of humor, I'd like to see what would come of it. I definitely see at least some of this in, say, Bulletstorm. Say what you want about the actual humor or whether or not the plot was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but goddamn, some of those situations were simultaneously hilarious and epic in a way very reminiscent of Contra. Giant Robot Wheel of Death, anyone?

But any time someone mentions either the phrase "Call of Duty numbers" or "broaden the userbase", I die a little inside.

I'm going to echo something else from Jim Sterling. You want to go for the CoD audience? Don't. Please don't. It never works. The folks who play that game want more of that game. They're not going to give a shit about something like Call of Duty because they've already got what they want. They make a new one practically every year for Christ's sake. Do something different with the franchise, sure, but don't just ape shit that already exists (and is infinitely more popular to boot).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:58:42 PM by Munchy »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
Cox's Contra = CoD with loads of QTEs.

Cox just make your own game and stop your fascination with remakes of beloved franchises.

Edit: I saw a twitter response to Cox saying the same thing I said, and here's Cox response "It's simple if you don't like it... Don't buy it :) There are plenty of people who do like what we are doing"

Yup yup yup, he is confident.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:32:21 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
here's Cox response "It's simple if you don't like it... Don't buy it :) There are plenty of people who do like what we are doing"

How the hell no one on Konami with a brain see that type of attitude from him? Its not simple like that, if people dislike it, it dont will sell well and... wait, I SEE, even if we dislike it, CoD players will buy it! Damn Cox! DAmn you! I'll hunt you and the night!
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
COD is the most successful modern day shooting game. Contra was the most successful shooting game back in the day. It makes every bit of sense to want to attract fans of COD or Halo when you are making a Contra. 

People who like to shoot guns and blow stuff up should want to play Contra. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment.

Halo and COD all take inspiration from Contra, just like GOW does from CV. It makes perfect sense for new high budget versions of these games to appeal to the people who play the games they inspired.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
God of War is inspired in Rygar, not CV. Also Call of Duty and Gears of War have a health system where you magically recover health (that doesnt make sense and is a way for noobs play it easily, IMO FPS should be like the old ones, where you cant recover your health without items), while in almost all Contra games you die with only 1 hit, also there are a lot of enemies with almost no place to hide and in CoD and Gears of War you need to take cover, you needed to dodge bullets. So it cannot be a FPS, it needs to be a third person shooter so we can see from where said bullets and enemies are coming and dodge them.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
It makes every bit of sense to want to attract fans of COD or Halo when you are making a Contra.

No, it doesn't. Completely different styles of gaming.

People who like to shoot guns and blow stuff up should want to play Contra. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment.

Halo and COD all take inspiration from Contra, just like GOW does from CV. It makes perfect sense for new high budget versions of these games to appeal to the people who play the games they inspired.

"Pew, pew, I haz a gun! All gun games are alike and inspire each other!"

If anything, Call of Duty takes inspiration from first-person shooters, which never took any inspiration from a sidescrolling run-and-gun—but even that's a stretch because COD is immense bullshit and plays nothing like classic arcade-style FPSs like DOOM and Quake, but obviously there are some roots in the genre, since, you know, it's part of the genre.

But if games where you fire guns are all connected, then I guess even Contra was inspired by earlier games like Sheriff.

Sherif (1979 Nintendo)

I strongly recommend this game to fans of COD because they're so alike.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Let's take a little look at the CoD fanbase first.
http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/24/death-threats-for-call-of-duty-developer-after-weapon-tweak-3897051/?ITO=news-sitemap
Do we really want them to be a part of the Contra fanbase?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
People have been suggesting that maybe Cox namedropped CoD more as a shooter that people know, not necessarily what he would be inspired by. For the love of all that is holy, I hope this is the case.

I could really get into it if it were more along the lines of Doom or Serious Sam. Stop 'n' Pop is an okay style of play, but not for Contra.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
People have been suggesting that maybe Cox namedropped CoD more as a shooter that people know, not necessarily what he would be inspired by. For the love of all that is holy, I hope this is the case.

I could really get into it if it were more along the lines of Doom or Serious Sam. Stop 'n' Pop is an okay style of play, but not for Contra.

People that doesnt know the difference betwwen newer and older Castlevania games.

And Contra isnt a FPS, Cox doesnt see that?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
God of War is inspired in Rygar, not CV.

So neg worthy Lelygax This statement bugs me somewhat

If only I could find that YT video. I remember very clearly in a GoW3 interview that one of the guys said in broad daylight Ninja gaiden and cv were clear influences so I don't know what your talking.

Edit found it in a heart beat just skip to around 2:30

God of War Developer Interview #1 Game Director Stig Asmussen

It's very, very annoying when someone says GoW was never inspired by CV just as much as dmc there are influences there. Rygar is obvious (I have total hate toward Rygar short story  :P )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:48:16 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
So neg worthy Lelygax This statement bugs me somewhat

If only I could find that YT video. I remember very clearly in a GoW3 interview that one of the guys said in broad daylight Ninja gaiden and cv were clear influences so I don't know what your talking.

Edit found it in a heart beat just skip to around 2:30

God of War Developer Interview #1 Game Director Stig Asmussen

It's very, very annoying when someone says GoW was never inspired by CV just as much as dmc there are influences there. Rygar is obvious (I have total hate toward Rygar short story  :P

We're talking about gameplay, thats why I said that. GoW can even be inspired in CV in another aspects, but he is inspired in Rygar gameplay.

Thx for that interview, I've watched it. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:59:27 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
If cox is doing what I think he's going to with contra then he's in for a world of flack like the maker of CoD has; Death threats. Of course he's probably already got them with how he treated Castlevania. This'll just give him more, much more. I really don't understand him. When you make a mistake then it's your obligation to fix it, not continue it. He made a serious mistake with CV and now he wants a repeat with Contra? Put him out of his misery before he makes us all miserable- oh wait, it's already too late for that.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
But there already is a FPS that is hard as bawls and as Crazy as Contra, its called Rise of The Triad.

Honestly, Cox is full of shit for the statement of "contra didn't do anything new", People STILL play pokemon and Mario and those games have been doing the exact same thing since their debut.

Hard Corps: Uprising bombed because despite Arksys putting its awesome touch in it, the game really wasn't all that amazing...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags:

anything