Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nintendo - pros and cons, debate, etc.  (Read 12420 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: Nintendo - pros and cons, debate, etc.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
So funny!  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
It's nintendo what can I say about them?

I'll just post a few all right?

As for the pros: The famicom/nes, their franchises, saved gaming, some of the greatest minds in gaming came from the big n. From Miyamoto to Iwata to Tajrii to Sakurai to Yokoi ( R.I.P) I can go on.

The cons. While they have alot of franchises nintendo also does not concentrate on them some are forgotten and just locked away for years. Remember when there were no metroid games till fusion/prime no n64 games or anything, or how we only got one of the fire emblem games on the ds we missed the whole second part! The wait for a new kid icarus, no new f-zero for how long? How about golden sun? I freaking love this franchise and when the third one comes out all most no one bought it especially when compared to the first two titles and I remember the commercial for DD wha? It's like GS was an after thought for nintendo and that really is disappointing and while DD is good it did not have the same effect like the first two did. GS and the lost age were amazing like DAMN kind of amazing DD did not have that effect. And of course Mother yes I know Earthbound was released on the wii-u vc but no Mother 1 or 3. No new Startropics hell even Mach rider could use a reboot if done right.

My other complaint is that I have little interest in their console offerings and lack of third party support (do not mention sega to me please don't one company does not change my view on this). After the SNES nintendo lost alot of power imo. Back then So many third parties companies were behind them and some of their very best titles were on the Snes like Enix with DQ and Square with FF, Namco with Tales of Phantasia, Capcom with MM and others, Konami with Cv and when the ps came they lost alot of that remember any really good n64 third parties compared to playstation?   There are probably a couple one can name but what did ps have Resident evil, Metal gear, Soul blade, Tekken, not only that but the big rpg juggernauts went to ps and we know how that ended Nintendo went from top dog to second, afterwards with xbox they went to third. I think every one knows where I'm going with this but man come on.

And my last con is kind of odd while I do enjoy gameplay over just pure graphics it's nice to have them. I'm not going to lie when I got LoS and tales of vesperia on the x360 I was like WOW they look very good there are more but... The only wii games to get that were muramasa, mario galaxy, and skyward sword. From my understanding the Snes was a powerful system for it's time (compared to say a neo-geo scratch that off)  compared to the tg-16(with out cd add on) and genesis( I do not feel the need to explain the senseless add ons) it was the more powerful of the three and had a good price. N64 was good but iirc the cartridges just could not hold as much as a cd but the carts IIRC they had little to no loadtimes, gc was all right, but the wii was way less powerful than the 360/ps3 and now from my understanding the  wii-u is set to contend with the 360/ps3 not the xbone/ps4.  So all what I am saying is that Nintendo stop beating around the bush and make a system that stands with the best of them... Again Just something on the same level again yes I do understand that affordability is one thing nintendo does concentrate on but nah console wise they gotta step up on their hardware and their relationship with third parties I should have a gang load of nintendo console releases but I don't handhelds yes oh yes but I'm disappointed with how little console games I have. Is it that bad to have up to date graphics and good gameplay and a strong third party involvement (yeah nintendo has a strict policy but again look at the snes it rocked)? 

I do wonder if I came off as a I want only graphics over gameplay guy. Also if some information is wrong correct me this is stuff that's been in the back of my head for awhile.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »
Nintendo went from top dog to second, afterwards with xbox they went to third. I think every one knows where I'm going with this but man come on.

Sorry, that was my reaction. I know its your opinion, but since I think different its funny to me, even more when you say this about xbox.

From my understanding the Snes was a powerful system for it's time (compared to say a neo-geo scratch that off)  compared to the tg-16(with out cd add on) and genesis( I do not feel the need to explain the senseless add ons) it was the more powerful of the three and had a good price. N64 was good but iirc the cartridges just could not hold as much as a cd but the carts IIRC they had little to no loadtimes, gc was all right, but the wii was way less powerful than the 360/ps3 and now from my understanding the  wii-u is set to contend with the 360/ps3 not the xbone/ps4.  So all what I am saying is that Nintendo stop beating around the bush and make a system that stands with the best of them... Again Just something on the same level again yes I do understand that affordability is one thing nintendo does concentrate on but nah console wise they gotta step up on their hardware and their relationship with third parties I should have a gang load of nintendo console releases but I don't handhelds yes oh yes but I'm disappointed with how little console games I have. Is it that bad to have up to date graphics and good gameplay and a strong third party involvement (yeah nintendo has a strict policy but again look at the snes it rocked)?

You want a Nintendo console with great hardware right? But you know that Game Cube was superior to PS2 and 360 in graphics and had good support of thirdies but even so lose the battle? Just because its too expensive, I know some people that have NEVER heard about or seen a Game Cube, even if it was cheap in USA, at least here it was expensive. I think thats why Nintendo adopted a new tactic in focusing much more in innovation over graphics.

Now back on topic about these last years, if Nintendo is so weak on thirdies, why Bayonetta that was exclusive to 360 and Monster Hunter that was exclusive to PS2 are coming to Wii U? Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U and the main Monster Hunter titles are Nintendo exclusive since Monter Hunter Tri (3). The problem isnt Nintendo, its third-parties excluding Nintendo from their game schedule. Look at the selling charts and you will see that Nintendo stills on the top sales since Wii. Wii U isnt selling well because thirdies arent helping much, but even so they are doing wonders with the titles that they have.

What is even more funny is how I see in a lot of sites about how Nintendo is doomed or how their sales are bad, only to discover that they are the actual top-sellers. So or they are blatantly lying (maybe because they are being paid to give false news about Nintendo) or if they are correct and Nintendo is doomed, these another companies are already dead and dont know. Its not even my opinion in this statement, its statistics.

And my last con is kind of odd while I do enjoy gameplay over just pure graphics it's nice to have them. I'm not going to lie when I got LoS and tales of vesperia on the x360 I was like WOW they look very good there are more but... The only wii games to get that were muramasa, mario galaxy, and skyward sword.

You've never seen Xenoblade Chronicles and Monster Hunter Tri do you? These games are really beautiful, you should check them sometime. :)

I do wonder if I came off as a I want only graphics over gameplay guy. Also if some information is wrong correct me this is stuff that's been in the back of my head for awhile.

Corrected how I could. While you sounded like a "graphics" guy, theres nothing wrong with it, its your opinion.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
I think Microsoft is the clown of VG's industry, and Xbox 360 the biggest loser ever in terms of exclusive games.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
I think Microsoft is the clown of VG's industry, and Xbox 360 the biggest loser ever in terms of exclusive games.

Yes, I think that for this 360 is the winne....!
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 02:23:06 AM »

Sorry, that was my reaction. I know its your opinion, but since I think different its funny to me, even more when you say this about xbox.

:rollseyes:

You want a Nintendo console with great hardware right? But you know that Game Cube was superior to PS2 and 360 in graphics and had good support of thirdies but even so lose the battle? Just because its too expensive, I know some people that have NEVER heard about or seen a Game Cube, even if it was cheap in USA, at least here it was expensive. I think thats why Nintendo adopted a new tactic in focusing much more in innovation over graphics.

No I did not entierly but with soul calibur 2, Resident evil remake,0,4 and more.... Maybe I was a bit hasty but the gc was not the absolutely most powerful out of the big three or four from this article I just found I will say I am new at understanding processing power and stuff but from what I am reading out of the four gc was second I'm surprised I guess the saying big things come in small packages does apply here.   Yes it's wikipedia but this did give me better understanding of what you were saying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(sixth_generation)#Bits_and_system_power

But still ehh even if the facts are in front of my face dang why hold back on the wii why hold ones punch back just for the sake of innovation can't one do both? Mhhh I can't agree with that at first I loved my wii but make no mistake after time I did lose interest in it ds on the other hand  ;D You can't beat nintendo when it comes to handhelds.  This really came into my mind after awhile like dang why is the wii not more powerful but now it is starting to make more sense.

Now back on topic about these last years, if Nintendo is so weak on thirdies, why Bayonetta that was exclusive to 360 and Monster Hunter that was exclusive to PS2 are coming to Wii U? Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U and the main Monster Hunter titles are Nintendo exclusive since Monter Hunter Tri (3). The problem isnt Nintendo, its third-parties excluding Nintendo from their game schedule. Look at the selling charts and you will see that Nintendo stills on the top sales since Wii. Wii U isnt selling well because thirdies arent helping much, but even so they are doing wonders with the titles that they have.

Nintendo has been known to be a bit of a tyrant when it comes to third party I was watching all your history are belong to us and Nintendo did things that in the end really messed them up. Like their hand in creating the playstation and so on. But regardless yay for bayonetta 2 -_- and monster hunter.... Just two things And I'm not trying to say that their games are bad but just having MH and sega on their side are not enough granted it's just the start of the systems life but one should be able to say more than just these two games I do like superheros and the wonderful 101 seems all right and I honestly want to hear more about shin megami tensei x fire emblem (this will infact be the system seller for me).  Also most of the third parties are on other systems with maybe the exception of maybe zombie-u and some others and since I do not own a wii-u I cannot say anything more than that. Point is I should be able to state a bunch of games for the system but I can't. Again maybe it's to early for me to judge but nintendo can't always rely on first and second party games right? The reason why Nintendo won back in the 16-bit was because of awesome third party support which is odd since they were strict. But if history has shown with the n64 and gc they will "lose" again on the console front if the can not get that third party support. I do think that the wii while having some great games just did not have enough.

I still stand with what I say and this is only for home consoles not handhelds if that kind of support could transfer into the wii-u I would not be saying anything I have more handheld nintendo games than I do Console games and to me that says something.

What is even more funny is how I see in a lot of sites about how Nintendo is doomed or how their sales are bad, only to discover that they are the actual top-sellers. So or they are blatantly lying (maybe because they are being paid to give false news about Nintendo) or if they are correct and Nintendo is doomed, these another companies are already dead and dont know. Its not even my opinion in this statement, its statistics.

ehh I don't think nintendo is doomed sale wise their first/second party games are good with the exception of maybe a few Golden Sun Dark Dawn did not do that well but kid icarus uprising did.

You've never seen Xenoblade Chronicles and Monster Hunter Tri do you? These games are really beautiful, you should check them sometime. :)

Oh I have  8)  more so Xenoblade Chronicles because I have it and I do agree with ya on that it looks wonderful  :) and from what I remembered X looks awesome as well. Monster hunter I think I gave it like two tries already once on the psp again on the 3ds and I got sick of it that stupid camera control and this is from some who found Gods eater burst to be good. The control was just perfect for this monster hunting kind of game soul sacrifice I can't say much on since I do not have a personaified 4 vita  :P

Corrected how I could. While you sounded like a "graphics" guy, theres nothing wrong with it, its your opinion.

I'm not a graphics I just like to play what I want but being spoiled never hurt either sometimes right  ;) But hey if Nintendo had a system closer to the new consoles coming out I really do think third party publishers would be having a different tune but I guess looking back at this it was really more the third part support or lack of it that disappoints me and how Nintendo does not treat all their Ips with the same respect as zelda,mario, or pokemon.

Years ago when the first xbox came out Ninja gaiden was the talk of the town and do not forget about panzer drgoon orta and shenmue 2  ;) as for 360 Tales of Vesperia likes to say hi since we did not get the ps3 version that's all I got and there is otomedius but hey take that for what it's worth I dig it. And xbox live did get soul calibur so it's not that bad  :P I like the big N and sony really got me during the ps2 era onimusha, dmc, and so much others I'm actually kind of over xbox after that xbone drama I was like pass.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:30:40 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
+1
PROS:

They make great games, many of which are system sellers for me (and for many other people as well). No other company can compare here, IMO.

CONS:

They make outdated, gimmicky consoles that I don't want to buy. In a perfect world, Nintendo would be third party, releasing their games on PS and XBOX. That way they could take advantage of the vastly superior technology their competitors are using, concentrating on making the actual games. Well, they could keep making handhelds cause they're pretty good at that.

And no, graphics isn't everything. But having to buy a console (WiiU) that is roughly as powerful as consoles that I've already owned for 6-7 years, only to be able to play great games, is infuriating. I don't want to buy new hardware to get (soon-to-be) last-gen tech. Simple as that. Will I do it anyway? Absolutely. Cause Mario rocks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:48:02 AM by shelverton. »

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »
PROS:

They make great games, many of which are system sellers for me (and for many other people as well). No other company can compare here, IMO.

CONS:

They make outdated, gimmicky consoles that I don't want to buy. In a perfect world, Nintendo would be third party, releasing their games on PS and XBOX. That way they could take advantage of the vastly superior technology their competitors are using, concentrating on making the actual games. Well, they could keep making handhelds cause they're pretty good at that.

And no, graphics isn't everything. But having to buy a console (WiiU) that is roughly as powerful as consoles that I've already owned for 6-7 years, only to be able to play great games, is infuriating. I don't want to buy new hardware to get (soon-to-be) last-gen tech. Simple as that. Will I do it anyway? Absolutely. Cause Mario rocks.

In a perfect world, the console market would be like the PC Market. Instead of all this fragmentation, you could build your own console or buy brands, and the console OS is pretty much the same across all the consoles. This way you could pick and choose the games you like and play them where you want. Though I think all in all a console is pretty much a Gaming PC with controller pads any ways. If you dual booted Wii OS, XBox OS, or Playstation OS on one machine, you could just buy a game and play it regardless of who made it. Just like how it is on Steam. No exclusives, no hype, none of that.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
In a perfect world, the console market would be like the PC Market. Instead of all this fragmentation, you could build your own console or buy brands, and the console OS is pretty much the same across all the consoles. This way you could pick and choose the games you like and play them where you want. Though I think all in all a console is pretty much a Gaming PC with controller pads any ways. If you dual booted Wii OS, XBox OS, or Playstation OS on one machine, you could just buy a game and play it regardless of who made it. Just like how it is on Steam. No exclusives, no hype, none of that.

I completely agree. Though one might wonder what would happen in terms of, say, pricing if there was only one console manufacturer... They could potentially charge whatever they'd like. Though on the other hand, we'd only have to buy ONE console, so I guess I could live with it being somewhat overpriced.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
+1
Or maybe in a perfect world Sony and Nintendo would be allies and make an all powerful console with N and Sony brands, and Microsoft would just stick to PC's. That would be helpful for them making a Windows that works fine, by the way. Like a Windows that works like Linux.

Or more than that: Nintendo and Sony would make their games for PC, so we don't have to buy 3 consoles and 2 portables every generation just to play the exclusives we like. I would like that.

@Neobelmont: I agree, and I was super excited with X360 with Eternal Sonata, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, Blue Dragon... but then, they lost almost all exclusives, including Tales of Vesperia. And on top of that, the console breaks. I had one that broke. I still have one in my mom's house. I have many X360 games and there's a lot of them I like.
But I think that in terms of great exclusive games, they lose with PS3 and the best one is the Wii, though it is the less powerful console.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
Or more than that: Nintendo and Sony would make their games for PC, so we don't have to buy 3 consoles and 2 portables every generation just to play the exclusives we like. I would like that.

Exactly! So would I :D Then that would mean you could just design your own PC for gaming and all games would be available for what you have. There would be no console companies just game companies which means pricing on games would be better as everyone would be in competition.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
That would be the perfect world!  :)
We live on this world, however...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
Or maybe in a perfect world Sony and Nintendo would be allies and make an all powerful console with N and Sony brands

They did that once already and the result was the Super Nintendo. That's why it had the best sound because SONY gave the system its sound technology. It would be nice to see them team up once more to make another 'super' console.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
They did that once already and the result was the Super Nintendo. That's why it had the best sound because SONY gave the system its sound technology. It would be nice to see them team up once more to make another 'super' console.

Well, if Sony didnt have backstabbed them, they could :P

Nintendo has been known to be a bit of a tyrant when it comes to third party I was watching all your history are belong to us and Nintendo did things that in the end really messed them up. Like their hand in creating the playstation and so on.

They steal companies rights and make it their slaves. :P
I know that Nintendo had a system where if you wanted to make a game for a Nintendo console, you wont be able to release it for another system.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: