Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Best Of: Anime Games  (Read 4940 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
This topic is for the best Anime based games that are so good that you have to play them even IF you don't care for the anime.

I'll list a couple and why I think they are worthy of "Best of"

Naruto SHIPPUDEN Ultimate Ninja Storm (Series)
This is as fun to play as to watch, on top of that it shows just how much effort they put into the Naruto series as of late, before you know you'll find yourself watching Shippuden.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (Arcade)
Self Explanatory; when you see Dio Drop a Steam roller on you you know shit has gotten real.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
I've had a sick fascination with licensed games for years, but most of the anime based ones I've played have been "ok", not great, not memorably terrible. The two best that spring to mind are Ghost in the Shell and Gundam Battle Assault 2, both on the PS1.

With a wide selection of unlockable mechs from across many different series, Battle Assault 2 should be an unbalanced treat for anyone who digs Gundam, or just 2D fighters and robots. The visuals are late-playstation great and the mechs have a realistic feeling of bulky weight to them. Though just for a tip if you're playing with a friend- when I say it's unbalanced I mean it. Wing Gundam is so broken in this game it's not even funny. Oh and of course, so is Big Zam.

Ghost in the Shell however is one of the best action games on the PS1, period. Tight controls that make strafing, and spider-like go anywhere wall/ceiling climbing, really work on a controller. Beautifully done 32bit 3D graphics and one of the best soundtracks on the system. The only problem with it is that it's rather short. Though extra unlockable anime cutscenes created for the game (and found mainly at chapter starts and endings in the campaign) you can get in the training mode might offer some extended playtime for patient types. I just used a code to unlock them after beating the campaign. 

Both games have the original voice actors from the English dubs, though GitS is based more on the manga than anything else. Considering that the Fuchikomas barely appear in the famous 1995 movie. And GitS:Stand Alone Complex, which has a game on the PS2 I've got but not played yet, was years away and used Tachikoma's instead.

PS- I forgot to mention GitS on the PS1 has widescreen support, the only other console game from that generation I can think of at the moment which does this is Goldeneye. Even in the PS2 era that was relatively rare.

PPS- Battle Assault 1 and 3 are both "meh". Unless you're really into Gundam Seed. Then 3 might be worth picking up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:13:10 AM by Ratty »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
I played the hell of Dragonball Boudokai 3.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC
Magical Taruuto-kun Mega Drive
Twinbee games (there's an a short series based on the games, and some drama CD's)

Some fighting games have had anime movies as well, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter/Alpha, Toshinden, some I've liked, some I haven't.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
Considering that the Fuchikomas barely appear in the famous 1995 movie

The movie didn't have Fuchikomas. That was strictly in the Manga. Instead the movie had Tachikomas. both are of the same principle; an arachnid-like mechanoid, but the two had some subtle differences.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC
Magical Taruuto-kun Mega Drive
Twinbee games (there's an a short series based on the games, and some drama CD's)

Some fighting games have had anime movies as well, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter/Alpha, Toshinden, some I've liked, some I haven't.

Don't forget Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge! That one had some beautiful animation. Wish it was easier to get ahold of a good copy these days.

The movie didn't have Fuchikomas. That was strictly in the Manga. Instead the movie had Tachikomas. both are of the same principle; an arachnid-like mechanoid, but the two had some subtle differences.

Actually we're both wrong, the mech that appeared in the 95 movie was neither http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank Tachikomas weren't introduced until GiTS:SAC. Why they replaced the Fuchikomas when they act essentially the same, I don't know. I suppose to further cement the SAC universe as an alternate timeline to the original manga and movies. That or sell more toys/model kits.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:33:25 PM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
Actually we're both wrong, the mech that appeared in the 95 movie was neither http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank Tachikomas weren't introduced until GiTS:SAC. Why they replaced the Fuchikomas when they act essentially the same, I don't know. I suppose to further cement the SAC universe as an alternate timeline to the original manga and movies. That or sell more toys/model kits.

That's rather interesting. Then again it isn't unexpected since it's been a coon's age since I last saw the movie.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
The four Yu Yu Hakusho titles for the Super Famicom were actually very entertaining.

Everything North America received much later was garbage, however.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
Much like Mega Man, Darkstalkers better animation is in Japan, both received garbage US cartoons (like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat did).

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2
Great Game with TONS to do, 500 missions per character and roughly 50+ Characters

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079: Rise from the Ashes for DreamCast. Love that game
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
I should probably throw in Mega Man X series as a good anime game contender since there is some anime about it now, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
The closest thing Mega Man X ever had to an anime production is the Day of Sigma OVA, which I believe was included in Maverick Hunter X.
If anything though, MMX4 was pretty much MMX: The Anime: The Game. At least, it felt like such to me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:12:31 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Grethor

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen

and

Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Kansei

are a pair of fine fighting games for the PSP- only available in Japan but highly importable.

I've always loved Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension for the SNES, some of the best 2D artwork I've seen.

There's also an Attack on Titan game coming out for the 3DS soon which I am looking forward to.

Offline St.Tweeter

• Hacked Darkmoon's Crappy Furry Board Once
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Hunter in Training
  • Why am I here? I hate you people. You bore me!
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC

Wait are you serious? That game is horrible! x_x

Gundam Musou 2 and Hokuto Musou 1 are both pretty good though.  Gundam Musou 3 is too samey, and "Shin Hokuto Musou"/Ken's Rage 2 is awful. I could write a thesis on how bad that sequel was.
-1,000,000,000,000,000 Wulongs to whoever brings me the head of Fredrica Irving, the Amnesia Loli-

Tags: