Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: was IGA robbed?  (Read 18738 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »
I thought this was going to be about IGA tweeting that his house got robbed. Glad it's not.

I don't think IGA was robbed; on the contrary he seemed to be getting extremely burnt out. Can't say I blame him after about eight straight years of basically working on nothing except Castlevania. And Nanobreaker.

It's a shame nothing has come out of him since then though. There were shades of a supreme Metroid-style entry in OoE. That challenge tower was fucking amazing and it saddened me that the other stages didn't do anything similarly evil with platforming, excluding maybe the clock tower.

IGA had the right ideas, but maybe not the resources. I'd love a game with the exploration/loot of the IGA games and the challenging and interesting level design of the classics.

(Also still want a Sorrow game with a 60 year old Soma.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:43:04 PM by Munchy »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »
didn't he say that he wasn't actually interested in making the 1999 game
i can't remember a source though

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
didn't he say that he wasn't actually interested in making the 1999 game
i can't remember a source though

He more or less said there was no way the end result would live up to anyone's expectations.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:00:19 AM »
Was IGA robbed? I say most certainly not.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »
I don't miss Iga... But Michiru Yamane and Ayami kojima need to come back...
Michiru perhaps, but I find Mecury's artist far far far superior, leaps and bounds over Ayami Kojima's orgasm faced samey drawings.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 07:49:22 AM »
+1
If you want more Michiru Yamane music, go listen to the Skullgirls soundtrack.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 08:06:07 AM »
To be honest, I think we've been asked the wrong question here. Has IGA been robbed of his chance to end his canon? Clearly, he hasn't, because he never intended to end it in the first place.

It's not as if Konami had been preventing IGA from producing a game he was begging to make. In fact, the only glimpse we have of IGA's erstwhile 'future plans' was of that red-eyed Alucard we saw back in TGS 2008. 1999 was clearly out the question, and it would still have been for years into the future had IGA remained in the lead.

More importantly, you really can't compare IGA's 17-year long run to MS's 4-year, 3-title escapade. MS's short, ambitious alternate-timeline reboot doesn't match up with the behemoth of a history the series has. Keep in mind that Konami didn't ask for LoS closure as much as Cox himself mandated it. So telling us that Konami "didn't give IGA a fair chance" doesn't make much sense in this respect.

Of course, whether or not Lords of Shadow's abrupt introduction into the series had been a fair one remains a topic for debate; but there's no denying that IGA had every chance to end his canon if the time was right. I can but assume that for him, it never was.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:27:32 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »
Yes I'd say he was robbed. It's sad too because OOE was a good game that showed that he still had some great ideas.

Plus there was that Alucard game that looked awesome that we unfortunately never got.

Hopefully someday Konami will let him return to the real timeline and we can forget about the lords of shit timeline.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
Wow.... Finally somebody disagrees... GET HIM!

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »
Yes I'd say he was robbed. It's sad too because OOE was a good game that showed that he still had some great ideas.

Plus there was that Alucard game that looked awesome that we unfortunately never got.

Hopefully someday Konami will let him return to the real timeline and we can forget about the lords of shit timeline.

Wow, that last words were a little rude... and I am think like you :P.

I think that maybe the main reason for Konami that don´t give IGA more chances were CV Judgment... oh, yeah, that game. I mean, the music was really great, and the concept were interesting... but the art direction, was horrible, in my opinion. Then, we see the trailer of the Alucard game, obviously by IGA. And after that, we got the Lords of Shadow one (that one with the giant troll, and without the Castlevania name in it). And finally we got the LoS trilogy. So, in my opinion, yes, IGA was robbed.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
excellent opinions. here is some food for thought:

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
+1
I really think Vanillaware has the potential to make the greatest CV game of all time.

It's nice to think that the best cv game could be yet to come.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
With great 2d games like Muramasa or Dragon´s Crown, I agree Vanillaware will make a great game... The only thing that I don´t like too much is the art...

...But do not forget Wayforward, with their great (in my opinion) 2d games :D
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
The problem I have with Vanillaware is (Even though I love them so much!) that there is so much focus on quality which is a good thing and we don't see than often anymore artistically in video games, but they sacrifice depth and content. Odin Sphere, great enemies, but its using same backgrounds and terrain over and over again. Muramasa had more depth, but same enemies over and over again. Dragon's Crown was great but I'm not a huge fan of 2D games where you can move sideways, like Double Dragon and various beat 'em up genres. Vanillaware could be a good contender but after LoS Saga and especially self-reviewing LoS2 and if I find it above satisfactory, I could seriously get used to 3D Castlevanias in the future. In terms of 2D, I think the old CV team killed it. The run speed, gravity and jump arcs were perfect. BloodRayne didn't have great jumping mechanics in my opinion. But yeah, WayForward can be great as well.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 01:53:18 AM »
I think IGA robbed the fans from having a healthy franchise to appeal to someone more than the hardcore fans, He dig his own hole with mediocre 3D games and SotN clones, he had plenty of years and projects and he did nothing for the franchise, even taking into account that he had low budget, creativity and new ideas are beyond the money barrier.

I'm not going to deny that he did some great games but people trying to canonize him is really annoying.

Tags: