Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best jRPGs  (Read 11666 times)

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
Speaking of Fire Emblem have you folks seen this?

I got to this on my first playthrough and it seemed to validate the decision to marry Tharja with Gregor in my mind.

Gregor's so cool.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
+1
Speaking of Fire Emblem have you folks seen this?

I've seen it.  Glad you caught a better picture of it than I did.
The localization team wins so much in that game.  It's on par with the Phoenix Wright one.

The pop-culture references are awesome.

Frederick: "My body is ready!"

Gaius: "If you're looking for ransom, I can assure you, I don't have any money.  But hat I do have, are a very particular set of HoneyCakes."

...and more! :P

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
I didn't know about the Gaius quote haha
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:58:33 PM by GuyStarwind »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
The thing is, when I was playing through it, I didn't think of Fou Lu as the villain at all. He really seemed more like the anti-hero choosing another alternative.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Best jRPGs
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »
My favorites are Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy 7, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Dark Souls.

Dark Souls isn't so much insanely difficult as many people say. It's just very unforgiving. Dark Souls 2 is just plain trollish.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Intelligent System games get such wonderful localizations.

Offline turbo-granny

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:53 AM »
I got into the Megami Tensei franchise with a six-month run of a bunch of the games and it's still something I think about pretty much all the time. I bought Persona 2: Innocent Sin years ago out of curiosity, then Nocturne caught my eye, then Persona 4 real-time commentaries had me excited for that, then I played Strange Journey alongside two other people, and so on.

Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, and Strange Journey are my favorites, I think.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
I adore Strange Journey so much. I remember being floored by how merciless that game could be; the final boss still haunts my dreams. As for DDS... well I loved 2. The first one rubbed me the wrong way in a lot of ways though. I know they're supposed to be played together to experience the story, but the ending of the first game was almost catastrophically dumb. I remember fighting a big bird demon thing as a boss, intro cutscene and special music and all, only to find it was relegated to a random enemy encounter chance in the very next room. The whole end game escalation seemed off. But 2 was great, it fixed up a lot of my issues with the game and I really dug Roland to keep things fresh in the roster.

If you have a 3DS, I highly recommend SMT IV. Its quite excellent and makes up the SMT Holy Trinity of Nocturne, IV and SJ.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:11:11 AM by ganonfloyd »

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 03:59:19 AM »
Wow, three whole pages and no mention to Shining Force I & II?

I can't even begin to explain everything awesome about these gems. You just gotta see for yourself.

p.s. I only ever played these two. Not sure if there have been any more.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:00:52 AM by son_the_vampire »
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
Did anyone mention Secret of Mana?! Those games were awesome!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
+1
p.s. I only ever played these two. Not sure if there have been any more.

Then prepare to drool my friend. Take a look at this wiki shining force page. It has a list of all the games in the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_%28series%29#Games

Enjoy  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
My favorites are Secret of Mana, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy 7, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Dark Souls.
Does SoTN qualify as a jRPG? I never thought of it that way.

Intelligent System games get such wonderful localizations.
That's six years I've already spent waiting for the next Wars title. I'm still hoping for a future 3DS release.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
That's six years I've already spent waiting for the next Wars title. I'm still hoping for a future 3DS release.

I have been waiting those six years as well. But its coming. I know it is. I don't know when or how, but it will come and I will be there with open arms for its triumphant return.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 08:06:34 AM »
It's kinda hilarious that Intelligent Systems re-released Advance Wars GBA... for Wii-U!

I also recently found out that Fire Emblem: Awakening was going to be their last Fire Emblem game for good.  Their Fire Emblem sales had started to decline since Radiant Dawn, so this was gonna be their 'going out in a blaze* of glory' title.  And, hilariously, the title ended up being a Smash hit.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is basically Intelligent Systems's version of Squaresoft's Final Fantasy game (Final Fantasy for NES was also Squaresoft's 'last game' since they were not doing to well at the time, but the game turned out to be a hit, so it kept them going and resuscitated the company).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
I also recently found out that Fire Emblem: Awakening was going to be their last Fire Emblem game for good.  Their Fire Emblem sales had started to decline since Radiant Dawn, so this was gonna be their 'going out in a blaze* of glory' title.  And, hilariously, the title ended up being a Smash hit.

I'm hoping that success leads to the okay to make a new AW. From what I've heard they've wanted to make one it just hasn't been in the cards, but if they can turn FE around from a gradual decline, there's hope they can bring AW back to a level of success.

And on another note, I would say I'm excited for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem... if we knew anything about it. Why do you taunt me so, Atlus/IS?

Tags: