Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best jRPGs  (Read 11667 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
+1
So, what are your favorite games in the genre?

I recently (finally) finished Chrono Trigger after a few months hiatus right before the final boss. (I just needed to do some grinding and hadn't felt like it.) And now I'm considering playing Chrono Cross or some other game in the genre soon. I need to go back and play Valkyrie Profile, which I had false starts on twice now, and I've been meaning to play Phantasy Star II and Final Fantasy tactics for some time now. Final Fantasy 6 and 9 are some of my favorite games ever, and Chrono Trigger is an amazing game I fully plan to replay sometime. But I just have trouble keeping my attention on one game for more than 14 or 15 hours at a stretch. What about you?

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Best jRPGs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
+1
Xenogears is my favorite game of all time, but I also love the first ten Final Fantasy games as much as someone can love a video game (6 and 9 are my favorites, though).
Chrono Trigger ranks pretty high for me.
I'm a fan of Xenoblade as well, so I have high hopes for "X" on the Wii U - despite Nintendo & Monolith Soft being so secretive with it.
I have a limited knowledge of the Tales Of series, but the games I've beaten from it, I've enjoyed enough to mention.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
Paper Mario is and forever will be my favorite in the genre. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is probably number two.

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Best jRPGs
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
You reminded me - I completely forgot about Paper Mario & SMT! I loved The Thousand Year Door & Persona 3 & 4.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:40:54 AM »
Xenogears, Chrono Trigger-Chrono-Cross-Radical-Dreamers, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:21:34 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
+1
its almost as if no matter who u ask, your always gonna get the same answers: the top RPGs ever will always be rotated between chrono trigger, xenogears, one of the FFs (typically 6), etc.

same if you ask someone what are the best castlevania games, the answer is always gonna be either cv3, symphony, rondo, super castlevania 4

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
I can remember asking my Bro about some of the FF games he liked. He told me that FF-X killed it for him. As he was finishing the game and seeing the ending his reaction was; "WTF!" And he has no intentions to try any of the later ones, especially the FF-XIII trilogy. He feels that Lightning is one of the worst characters to come out of FF. And it doesn't help the fact that there are rumors of the creator having some sort of obsessive compulsion with the character Lightning and even calling his wife by that name rather then by her real name. Sounds like the guy needs to get out more, lol. Although my Bro does enjoy FF-XIV: A realm Reborn as it's more a kin to the earlier FF games which he likes. And he also gets a laugh out of all the cat people in the game. Here's a quote from one of the players; "We need to go N'yaow! Right N'yaow!" LOL!!

Me personally in terms of FF, I liked the series all the way up to 6. After that they weren't FF games anymore. Although FF 9 went back to what they once were, especially the battle system so I can't see this one as a bad game. It just got ridiculous with all the grinding alone with the boss under the world tree-esque dungeon. Couldn't kill that son-of-a-b***h no-matter how much I grinded..! Oh well... That's what game shark is for.

On to other JRPG's Chrono Trigger was a good one, though I've never finished it. And considering how many different endings there are I'm not sure if I will ever get around to completing it. I own two Ocean Star games for the PSP that were originally from the Super Famicom. There almost like play episodes of Star Trek in a fantasy world so that kind drew me in  ;D

I also own all the Valkyrie Profile games but like Chrono Trigger I've never finished them. The first game has that damned clock and you need to finish the game within the time limit in order to get the best ending. This in my mind is a 'WTF' moment. You don't put in a time limit in an RPG. It just doesn't work well IMO. VP2 was better as you weren't under pressure form some stupid clock so I could play the game at my own pace which is how RPGs should be played. VP 3: Covenant of the Plume gameplay is more overhead oriented (kinda like Brandish 4). I also own the whole original Phantasy Star series for my PS3 Genesis collection. Had to buy a second controller in order to unlock the first PS game (WTF?, lol). Aside from Lunar: Silver Star Harmony I also have CrowLancer. I guess I might as well put Dragon's Crown in the list too. I do own a physical SNES cart of Brandish and I've recently finished Brandish 2: The Planet Buster thanks to a fan translation patch. Would the Y's series be considered a JRPG? Oh well, it's in the list now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:26:49 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Well, while i like almost every FF game, i started to dislike them after FF XII came out. For me my most liked are FF IV, FF VI, FF VIII and FF X. Now about Chrono Trigger, you should really finish it, one of the best RPG games in gaming history. Now, about Valkyrie games, the first one, while it has a clock time(periods)like system, to really enjoy it, you should play it on hard mode. More time, more characters and more dungeons to explore. about the good ending, time has nothing to do, other factors are the key for obtaining the best ending. The second one is really good and favorite to me, along with the first one, but 3 is just mediocre for me.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »
Does Fire Emblem Awakening count as a "jRPG"? or is it a "jStrategy"?
'cuz no matter what the answer, it's such an awesome game.

I've put 300 hours into it.  I'm so insane about it. 
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
+1
A forum dedicated to a Konami franchise and no one mentions Suikoden? For shame. Suikoden 2 is my favorite jrpg by far.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
Does Fire Emblem Awakening count as a "jRPG"? or is it a "jStrategy"?
'cuz no matter what the answer, it's such an awesome game.

I've put 300 hours into it.  I'm so insane about it.
Yeah same here. I have the Fire Emblem 3DS which came with the game pre installed so I always have it with me.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
A forum dedicated to a Konami franchise and no one mentions Suikoden? For shame. Suikoden 2 is my favorite jrpg by far.

That's because I was not here(so how about vandal hearts?) but seriously all of you have disappointed me  :P   ;)

I read everything and not one of you mention this?

Dragon Warrior (NES) Music - Battle Theme With Intro

For shame, for shame...  ;)

its almost as if no matter who u ask, your always gonna get the same answers: the top RPGs ever will always be rotated between chrono trigger, xenogears, one of the FFs (typically 6), etc.

same if you ask someone what are the best castlevania games, the answer is always gonna be either cv3, symphony, rondo, super castlevania 4

That's debatable don't you think?  I've play a lot of rpgs to say that's not true. From valkyrie profile, to star ocean, tales, SMT, Lunar, suikoden, fire emblem, dragoin warrior, hell I even got air's adventure that's saying alot. and there's a whole lot more

Also bloodlines and belmont's revenge are awesome  :P

Aside from Lunar: Silver Star Harmony I also have CrowLancer.

I hate the psp version I had to get the ps1 version for my birthday and don't you mean growlanser?

Also here's some I have not seen listed

[07] Cross Counter ~ Breath of Fire II [2] Original Game Soundtrack

Wild Arms - Critical Hit!(Battle Theme)

Wild ARMs 3 ~ "Intro v01"

Grandia II ost - FIGHT!! Version #1 [Extended]

Grandia II freaking rocks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:36:15 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
don't you mean growlanser?

Yeah i do, lol! Sorry about that, I read the lettering wrong  :P ;D

I also forgot to mention that I have the entire Dragon Quest: Zenithian trilogy (4, 5, 6) on DS as well as Dragon Quest 9. My bro has him the original Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES as well as FF 1.

Now, about Valkyrie games, the first one, while it has a clock time(periods)like system, to really enjoy it, you should play it on hard mode. More time, more characters and more dungeons to explore. about the good ending, time has nothing to do, other factors are the key for obtaining the best ending.

From what I've read on multiple walkthroughs cutting down on game time (the clock) is part of getting the best ending. I may have read them wrong but that's what was mentioned. I'll have to check again since it's been several years.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
Time has to do with it. Not doing things fast but doing things right and on time or the right chapter.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
So, many great games are being listed here. I kinda want to replay Breath of Fire again.

Tags:

anything