Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bad news for the Castlevania figures  (Read 8717 times)

Offline jimmay17

• "Naysayer"
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
It looks as though there probably won't be a Castlevania Player Select figures series 2, or anything else related to Castlevania, from NECA.

When asked about a possible 2nd series of Castlevania action figures in a MySpace collector Question & Answer thread, their online rep said flatly "I don't think we will be revisiting this license".
I can only imagine they didn't sell well enough. In my case, I didn't buy them because I couldn't find them in any stores and didn't want to pay shipping.

Link: (it's about halfway down)

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=21250005&blogid=362631236&page=1
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:33:26 PM by jimmay17 »
If I forgot "everything I knew about Castlevania" I certainly wouldn't be excited about a new one coming out now would I?

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
Thats a shame, really. While those figures weren't the best, it's nice to have them (or any merchandise from the series). I enjoy mine, and at least we got what we did. I guess this means I make my own. I was working on a Richter for awhile, I think I'll start on version 2 now
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Bad news for the Castlevania figures
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »
We could still see some more characters in Player Select.  Just not an all Castlevania series.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
I thought they looked like crap, personally.

Leucetius

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
I thought they looked like crap, personally.

They really did. I'm not surprised or sorry to hear this.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:10:24 PM »
This...isn't surprising. Those figures were dissapointing at best. >_>
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »
The only one that looked remotely good was Succubus and that was thrown to shit when they GLUED the breastplate onto her.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »
In Reply To #7

Yea, no kidding. But still, I thought her face was kind of messed up.

Offline Xadion

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »
Alucard was borked up, that one out of any should have been a big deal to make sure it was quality.

Glueing the tit covers on succubus was bad as 90% of us wanted to beable to take it on and off.

Their responce with no reason makes me think they are "We put SOO MUCH effort and stuff into the figures for you guys- and the community seemed SOO excited...then our sales sucked! YOU SUCK! We wont revisit that license now"

rather than "We had some problems with the first line and we hope we can do better on the 2nd- this will tell us more if this is something to persue in the long run"

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
The molds looked pretty decent, or at least Simon's did.

I kind of wonder what happened that made them look so bad. Wasn't NECA supposed to be top dog among figure-makers?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:29:18 AM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
What kind of figures were you guys expecting?  They looked as good as anything else that comes out.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »
I would like Kotobukiya to do statues of these awesome characters, they are one of the few companies that would do CV justice.

If you've never heard of Koto, I suggest you google them.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »
Kotobukiya is also the company who makes the Square Enix toys.  However, people seem to mix up the company with the name of their square enix toyline.  That is, some ppl thinks that Playarts make the toys, though in reality that is just the name of line, much like how player select is the name of video game figures like NECA.
I wonder why they don't put the koto logo on the playarts figures in US..

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »
The molds looked pretty decent, or at least Simon's did.

I kind of wonder what happened that made them look so bad. Wasn't NECA supposed to be top dog among figure-makers?
The models actually looked BETTER than the finished product. I think they screwed up when they painted them. Something between the unpainted figure and the painted figure went wrong.

Yeah, Koto is a damn fine figure company. The only problem I hear about their figures is that they tend to break easily. But, other than that, their figure sculpting is one of the best in comparison to the characters the lines are based on. Had THEY gained the licence to CV, I don't doubt that they could pull off some AMAZING figures.

bad_syw

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
I would like Kotobukiya to do statues of these awesome characters, they are one of the few companies that would do CV justice.
Definately agree, :D

In Reply To #14
Oh great, means I don't ever get an alucard and dracula figure cos they never bothered to selling it outside the US....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:41:03 PM by gaming_syw »

Tags: