Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 453983 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
Another thing I noticed was the graphical style of these sprites, I mean look at SOTN, no offense but these seem a step backwards in that regard. I think if IGA was to make another game the graphical style "with a traditional Belmont take on the hero or not" would closer resemble the art style of that game.

I was going to coment on this, but I really didn't want to sound negative, but I agree.

These may be only a small glimpse of what is to come, but this already tells lot about the spritework itself. It's indeed inferior to SotN's standards, but well... The point may be that they are not even aiming at these standards at all. They could be aiming at an original visual identity.

It looks like, to me, that they are replicating an arcade style of sorts for the gfx. It doesn't look bad, of course. But it doesn't look very... "Pro" if you know what I mean.

But I'm most likely jumping to conclusions here :P
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
Maybe. (Crosses fingers and toes)

One can dream, if it is true I am more concerned on what liberties that they have to take now to continue the IGA timeline while doing all the fan-service and all.

It's also interesting what is happening to Konami now in the video game industry.

I mean would the team be able to even do anything Belmont or Țepeș related?

Maybe this game takes place centuries into the future or something?

I don't see this game having anything to do with Castlevania at all, aside from nods and easter eggs. So, no going back to any old timeline. Though I guess it could have Dracula as a villain. Konami doesn't own Dracula. And it could theoretically have a character named Belmont, but the more elements that are added into the mix, the more problematic it would become. While Konami don't "own" the individual parts, adding them all together would probably be considered trademark infringement. IGA must thread carefully here.

Besides, IGA most likely wants to do his own thing now. He will create a game that pleases the fans of IGAvania gameplay, theme, atmosphere and such, without actually making a Castlevania game.

Fans who were only interested in the Belmonts, Dracula, the vampire killer and the timeline may not be happy with whatever this becomes. As for the rest of us, it's the gameplay, the exploration and the gothic horror theme that made IGAs Castlevania worth playing to begin with. I am at absolute peace with the fact that the rest will be brand new.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:27:15 PM by shelverton. »

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
You guys are seriously jumping to conclusions.

The sprites shown are not really final or something you can drawn ANY conclusions at all.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Darkman's Website
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
I don't see this game having anything to do with Castlevania at all, aside from nods and easter eggs. So, no going back to any old timeline. Though I guess it could have Dracula as a villain. Konami doesn't own Dracula. And it could theoretically have a character named Belmont, but the more elements that are added into the mix, the more problematic it would become. While Konami don't "own" the individual parts, adding them all together would probably be considered trademark infringement. IGA must thread carefully here.

Besides, IGA most likely wants to do his own thing now. He will create a game that pleases the fans of IGAvania gameplay, theme, atmosphere and such, without actually making a Castlevania game.

Fans who were only interested in the Belmonts, Dracula, the vampire killer and the timeline may not be happy with whatever this becomes. As for the rest of us, it's the gameplay, the exploration and the gothic horror theme that made IGAs Castlevania worth playing to begin with. I am at absolute peace with the fact that the rest will be brand new.

The sprites shown are not really final or something you can drawn ANY conclusions at all.

Maybe. just stating the obvious when talking about spiritual successors to SOTN. I do know many games after that point were on limited budgets hense all the recycled graphics, but I mean look at those graphics;

iPhone CASTLEVANIA NEW PUZZLE GAME! Reviewed by Dracula

It would seem odd for me for them to go with the graphical style in the teaser, I mean even in the original PAX screenshots (they were small) they looked top notch!
I don't mind a side story or two as long as the gameplay is on point. I am also cool with the possible brand new plot aspect. I think that will ensure we get some closure in the the storyline if this does well. I am all for SOTN, but remember I am a Generation 1 Castlevania fan and I love that old action style. Are we all forgetting about Super Castlevania 4? We need a evolution of that game!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:35:37 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer
http://www.mrmauricejohnson.net/

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »
I don't mind a side story or two as long as the gameplay is on point. I am also cool with the possible brand new plot aspect. I think that will ensure we get some closure in the the storyline if this does well. I am all for SOTN, but remember I am a Generation 1 Castlevania fan and I love that old action style. Are we all forgetting about Super Castlevania 4? We need a evolution of that game!
I don't really like that game. I prefer if they made something more akin to Dracula X or Castlevania 3.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »

Konami does not care about the original canon. This is the same company that wanted to distance the series of the "effeminate" work of Michiru Yamane by personally requesting that the Lords of Shadow trilogy have "dark" music. They would rather literally make the franchise some AAA superstar, and that was against everything the series stood for since 1986.

You will at best get easter eggs and nods to IGA's fictional universe of Castlevania in IGA's new game; the whip is one such obvious thing. But an end and a new game in his canon? Probably not. Konami would rather let the series burn at this rate, as they're doing with all of their IPs, Metal Gear included.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by Foffy »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Darkman's Website
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
Konami does not care about the original canon. This is the same company that wanted to get distance the series of the "effeminate" work of Michiru Yamane by personally requesting that the Lords of Shadow trilogy have "dark" music. They would literally make the franchise some AAA superstar, and that was against everything the series stood for since 1986.

You will at best get easter eggs and nods to IGA's fictional universe of Castlevania in IGA's new game; the whip is one such obvious thing. But an end and a new game in his canon? Probably not. Konami would rather let the series burn at this rate, as they're doing with all of their IPs, Metal Gear included.

Yeah, its a damn shame what is happening within Konami as regards to being a video gaming entity.

Would the IGA team have liberties to go back to exploring that Bloodline/Stoker's timeline? I mean the Bram Stoker mythology has nothing to do with the Konami IP. That would work.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer
http://www.mrmauricejohnson.net/

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »

How do you know they are not final?

I admit I may have jumped to conclusions, but as an artist I indeed see where this is going just by seeing the stone pillar and the whip if the work is final. And that's what I mean.

This is all we have to work with right now, so I'm commenting on it, and it did jump on my eye that the overall quality of these sprites are inferior to latest 2D Castlevania ones. "Inferior" in this case being used quite loosely, as I still like them alot. Inferior doesn't mean "bad".

But again, this may be jumping on conclusions indeed!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:43:05 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • twitter.com/esperware
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
And whose to say what it might with a successful Kickstarter.
http://www.anathemagame.com

Follow me on Twitter @esperware

Officially Greenlit on Steam!

Offline aalluuccaarrdd

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
It is very silly to judge a game that hasn't been made or even started to be made based on one pre-pre-pre-beta image.

Don't think he will go back to Castlevania story, but an entirely new IP, so that if successful, he reaps the benefits and can build from there. It is crazy he has been stuck in the handheld gutter for almost 20 years with the indie environment now is the perfect time for some console Iga.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • twitter.com/esperware
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
I agree that it is early to draw conclusions. I will say however, IF this is real, I hope it is sprite based. Preferably HD sprites. I want that charm. 2.5d is overrated.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
+3
Im surprised no one has brought up the biggest silver lining about this if it's real:

New sprites! :D

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • twitter.com/esperware
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »
Holy shit youre right! Now I want this to be real more than before.

Offline Oniros

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Whatever happens I just want a new IP. Dracula and Castlevania are better off dead than tossed around the way Silent Hill was for so long. If IGA is going to start anew I wanna see a new story with new protagonists unfold.

Except Shanoa, she can be back for his new game. :P
(click to show/hide)

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:35 PM »
I swear if this is some sort of joke...
Ain't nuthin' but a Gurthang.

Tags: