Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: D&D Castlevania  (Read 5381 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
So, I wasn't sure if this was better in off topic or in the general cv thread

But I'm making a D&D quest where the players go into Castlevania and was curious what you guys thought. I'm going off the basic design of the RoB castle where you can branch out and go different ways and each of the sections are somewhat based on the levels in RoB too. But I'm curious for anyone who has played D&D what kind of traps or puzzles I should include.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »
I've never played, but it seems like an interesting enough game.  With a CV twist, you can certainly color me interested!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »
So, I wasn't sure if this was better in off topic or in the general cv thread

But I'm making a D&D quest where the players go into Castlevania and was curious what you guys thought. I'm going off the basic design of the RoB castle where you can branch out and go different ways and each of the sections are somewhat based on the levels in RoB too. But I'm curious for anyone who has played D&D what kind of traps or puzzles I should include.

Hahaha you really are the Guy. I remember that we've tried to gather a DM and some players at the dungeon to play a CV campaign online before, but you are the first one that I see doing it and sharing with us, entertaining. Why you don't share some news about your campaign from times to times in this thread? I think it would be cool if more people are interested to hear :P

I think that implementing some puzzle similar the blue frog in Dracula X Chronicles (Watch from 0:25 onward) could be interesting and teach them to think more before attacking. For traps I think that a obviouly breakable wall revealing a lot of Fleamen like in CV Chronicles would be funny. Also you can resort to spike traps, breakable floor, falling chandelies, poisoned arrow traps, iron balls and a lot more. Don't forget the mirrors, you can make enemies jump from inside them, or a statue that breaks and reveal a enemy inside, jumping at the player in a surprise attack.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:50:36 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »
Yeah I could give some updates on things. For instance I'm was going off of RoB but now I'm just kinda doing my own thing. Like right now I'm making a library and a torture chamber. The issues I've had though are transferring a 2D world into a more top down view like in Zelda. I think so far I'm making it work but this D&D and sometimes things are different haha. 

If people were interested I have no problems DMing. I'm using a site called roll20 to make the CV map but I fear it's too big and it's a game for higher level characters haha. Also I'm using the 5th edition rules for it.

@Lelygax yeah I like the blue frog idea. I think it will make characters think a bit and if they kill whatever creature it is they'll miss out on some treasure. And yes the traps are all CV must. They'll all be there.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
Because the castle is so big I've added on the master librarian and the merchant guy from HoD to aid the players

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
What edition of D&D are you playing? 5th? I'd look at Ravenloft for ideas. Particularly the 3rd edition "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" supplement.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:17:37 AM »
Yeah 5th edition.

And actually that's a really good idea. I was talking to my sister about that module early today but I guess it just slipped my mind to look into it.

Offline spookyhappyfun

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Minecraft Forum Homepage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »
I hear Castlevania D&D and automatically think Ravenloft. I look forward to the updates. Should be fun!

Tags:

anything