Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Horipad Mini 64  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »
I wanna get more and then have you all over to play Bomberman 64 and Diddy Kong Racing multiplayer for days on end.

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
I'll bet that controller fits better in the hand then the original one. If a controller is too big then it's not very comfortable.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »
I wanna get more and then have you all over to play Bomberman 64 and Diddy Kong Racing multiplayer for days on end.

Neat

I'll pay for the pizza
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
You sure you wanna lose at Bomberman?! ;-P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »
I'll take you on at Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Killer Instinct Gold, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Dr.Mario 64!

EDIT:
Also, Mario Kart 64 and GoldenEye007!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »
I'll take the Mario Kart 64 Challenge!  How about Mario Tennis?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »
I'll add GoldenEye 007 to the fray, but most of the rest I haven't played.

This controller does feel very nice. The joystick resembles the one on the GameCube and springs back much quicker and feels tighter. You don't have to move the stick very far to go full speed in 3D action/adventure games.

It even feels nice in FPS games for the ones that allow you to adjust the speed. Haven't tried aiming in GoldenEye yet, that one could be a little tricky.

It's very cool having the L button in reach. Having two Z buttons is also nice depending on what feels more comfortable to use.

(click to show/hide)

The controller is possibly a little too small, not quite wide enough, but it nevertheless feels comfortable in my big hands; however, the shoulder buttons are pressed lower down on the index fingers instead of the tips, so that's a little weird at first.

While playing the Quake games, where I use Turok controls (C left/right for strafing, C up/down for moving, stick for aiming), it felt really natural to slide my left thumb over to the B/A buttons to cycle weapons while still avoiding enemies with my right thumb, which is a nice new way of playing N64 FPSs.

Can't wait to get back into Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon with this bad boy. My original N64 pad's joystick is failing and I'd have to really jam the stick forward to run full speed, so this will be a lot more enjoyable.

I can't ever see using this Horipad Mini (or Hori mini pad as everyone calls it, but the name Horipad Mini 64 is etched on the back) on a sidescroller like Mischief Makers or Kirby 64 where the D-pad is used exclusively for movement, but it's otherwise a fantastic little gadget.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:08:36 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 12:39:56 AM »
on a sidescroller like Mischief Makers or Kirby 64 where the D-pad is used exclusively for movement, but it's otherwise a fantastic little gadget.

I can definitely see this as being a problem. A rule of thumb for me is that the analogue stick and D-pad should both be on the left side of the controller. I have to wonder if the person--who designs these odd layouts--is actually a gamer.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 02:12:23 AM »
I think with this Hori mini pad, they were just aiming for a good joystick-based controller, with the D-pad used primarily for any games that use it as sort of a "side" or secondary feature. For example, Duke Nukem 64 uses the D-pad to cycle through weapons (left/right) and items (up/down). The Horipad Mini makes this process a million times easier because you don't have to shift your left hand from the middle prong all the way over to the D-pad; instead you just reach with ease and you're TCB.

I am curious if the N64 has a good "2D pad" focused on the D-pad. Hori made a pretty neat one for the GameCube for use with the Game Boy Player, and I quite like the thing except for there's these jutting out, uncomfortable "grips" in the back, and I'd have preferred a flat surface like the SNES pad it's based on. Don't fix what ain't broke, foolz.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:17:29 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »
No Mario Party love? xD
This controller is cute, its USB or for a real N64? Also why it have 4 shoulder triggers? I thought that a N64 had only one trigger at its back. I'm confused.

Also since finally some more known faces appeared in the same thread again, hi to everyone :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:50:58 AM »
Mario Party N64 will ruin that controller.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 05:20:17 AM »
Yeah, it would defeat the purpose of getting it. :( It'd be mashed in no time.

Lely, there's two Z buttons on the shoulder so that the user can use whichever one feels more comfortable. :)

It's a real, licensed N64 pad, not USB, and I love it. Ah-soMUUUUUUUCH
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Always wanted this controller! Looks so much better!

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:35 PM »
Mario Party N64 will ruin that controller.

Then again, Mario Party ruins any controller.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
How's the analog stick on that baby work? It looks similar to the 3rd party replacement I put in one of my controllers (wish I could find the still-okish original) that was way, way too sensitive compared to the original.

Tags: