Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What overpriced retro games do you wish you owned?  (Read 15950 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What overpriced retro games do you wish you owned?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
Sadly. Super Metroid is on my list, but $50 is a lot for such an old game.

I have super metroid, along terranigma and super castlevania iv. Today i've got the first package, r-type, kirby's dreamland, kungfu master, fortress of fear, air combat and parasite eve 2, all of them boxed, for 100 euros.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
Sadly. Super Metroid is on my list, but $50 is a lot for such an old game.

Reminds me of the time I saw SM for sale at a video store that was closing down, the box was compacted and it was plastic sealed, but it was only 10 bucks. Mind you it was used, but it was a cart.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
I have super metroid, along terranigma and super castlevania iv. Today i've got the first package, r-type, kirby's dreamland, kungfu master, fortress of fear, air combat and parasite eve 2, all of them boxed, for 100 euros.

Awesome deal. Terrinigma is pretty pricey but looks like an awesome game!

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
If I am really searching for something, I go to Akihabara. But really famous retro games are expensive.  :'(
I remember seeing SuperCastlevania IV there on display. All I could do was cry about the fact that there was no way in hell that I could afford it.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
I remember seeing SuperCastlevania IV there on display. All I could do was cry about the fact that there was no way in hell that I could afford it.

Yeah. Plus display items are all in almost near mint condition and that makes the prices go higher.
But if you own Japanese copies of vania games (even the slightly recent GBA/DS titles), their prices go up each year and that makes me happy. :)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
I already own some.  ;D

Some went up shortly after I bought them (Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand NES along with Kickmaster on the NES.

Now the one I want to own is Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter for my Sega Saturn, and Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Saturn. The first I have found some for under $50 for a change (been collecting for years, it's never been cheap, but would compliment my X-Men Vs Street Fighter Saturn copy nicely), in Zero 3's case it is $150, and I have a superior port on Alpha Anthology on the PS2, so no biggie.

Of course I just for the holidays boosted my collection by 8 more games off Ebay, puts me at 1,153, some of them pricey now, some I got lucky on and found for cheap. These games are by no means expensive, though the English Rival Schools is getting up there slowly, so I went the import route with it. The second game on PS1 is around $30, nothing too bad, but the PS1 price bubble hasn't really hit yet.

I've found game prices drop during the Christmas season, then rise again after. But sadly the inflation bubble shows no signs of popping soon, so long as there are greedy bastards out there looking to make money off a poor dumb chump.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:20:11 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
Went on a bit of a shopping spree and got an NES with a replaced pin connector. I know I took a risk ordering it inline, but it was a guy with good reviews, and should be getting it in like 4 days.

Castlevania 1 and 3 arrived (already have 2), along with Vice: PD, Super Valis 4, Valis 1 & 3, and Ninja Gaiden 2, plus a controller for the NES. Wanted a dogbone but those are around $20 and I found an original NES gamepad for like $3 in great condition.

I'm done for a while lol... At least until I have enuf extra cash for super Metroid XD

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »
Yeah. Plus display items are all in almost near mint condition and that makes the prices go higher.
But if you own Japanese copies of vania games (even the slightly recent GBA/DS titles), their prices go up each year and that makes me happy. :)

That last part doesn't make me as a collector who isn't in it for the money too happy. I don't like seeing values rise because that ultimately hurts collectors like me who eventually get priced out of the market.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 12:49:52 AM »
That last part doesn't make me as a collector who isn't in it for the money too happy. I don't like seeing values rise because that ultimately hurts collectors like me who eventually get priced out of the market.

These are the Japanese copies of the first release of the DS games. And cheaper versions still exist like the "Konami the Best" versions. :) Except for AoS, both first pressing and Konami the Best versions are really overpriced right now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:53:52 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
I only have a boxed Ys III for SNES complete and unscratched, usually goes for 60-65.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
Slightly off topic but did any of you used to collect cards when you were younger?

Games can be expensive as hell but card which are literally paper/ carboard and/or plastic are so damn expensive.

Back in the heydays of gaming when I was playing my now-collectibles I used to collect NBA basketball cards (Upper Deck, Flair, Flair Ultra Holojam and others), Marvel cards (mainly Flair and Flair Ultra), Simpsons Cards and Street Fighter Cards (Bandai). Suffice to say some of these are expensive af! games are relatively inexpensive when it comes to collectibles...

Aside from that Wii U gamepad that was ripped off ebay for being ridiculous - it was a Wii U gamepad drawn in black marker on a piece of cardboard, the auction had gotten up to 9000 USD... WTF.. There was also that 3DS selling for around 500 USD that had been termed one of a kind because it was "microwaved".

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
I did not collect cards but a friend of mine did and he donated quite a number of his old MTG cards to me before he moved. Sadly, most are just normal cards with not much value (I haven't kept up with the MTG values at all). He kept all the rare/good ones.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »
I did not collect cards but a friend of mine did and he donated quite a number of his old MTG cards to me before he moved. Sadly, most are just normal cards with not much value (I haven't kept up with the MTG values at all). He kept all the rare/good ones.

Oh yeah cool, well if it's a lot of cards together they can still be worth something even if not individually, like comics.

I bought a lot of comics as a kid back when they relatively inexpensive - not so today.
I did recently pick up a Cable comic which was a first print, quite an early issue for only 30 bucks and I know it's worth double that.

Good times :)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 06:25:38 AM »

All I got in 2014-2015
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
These are the Japanese copies of the first release of the DS games. And cheaper versions still exist like the "Konami the Best" versions. :) Except for AoS, both first pressing and Konami the Best versions are really overpriced right now.

I tend to avoid Greatest Hits, or Best or Books versions if I can. That trend started with Gradus Gaiden for me, in the end, the original print won out over the Books version. Sometimes the Greatest Hits versions can be bugfixes (in the case of Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the PS1, the original print I have is filled with bugs that can freeze a game to a grinding halt). I cases like KoF O2 Unlimited Match Tougeki Version (aka Bugfixed Version), though not technically a Greatest Hits line, goes for more than the original version (regular old 02 Unlimited Match with it's infinite combos), $150+ for the bugfixed one, around $100+ for the original version.

Tags: