Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Mercury Steam is at it again.  (Read 7284 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
Firstly, there's this:

https://twitter.com/mercurysteam/status/709712231487938560/photo/1

Notice the "countdown" hashtag. We already freaking know who Alucard was. Then there is this:

https://twitter.com/mercurysteam/status/719903038698352641

If you go to their site, you find a strange audio clicking on the screen with an audio graphic, and clicking on the main screen, there is a countdown. At the time of this post, in 5 hours they'll reveal something.

Place your bets.
Director of that one 1999 fangame that is not out yet.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:55:25 AM »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
I don't get it. Are they doing a pre-Alucard game in addition to Raiders of a Broken Planet?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
+2
A quick look at their twitter history shows that Alucard was part of a countdown to their new project which involved posting art of their past games. So no new Castlevania from them, thank god.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »
Yeah, and the game they announced was Raiders of the Broken Planet.

Thank god ²

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
Thank Jesus, Allah and Buddha that it's a new IP and not an established franchise.

Now Contra can breath a sigh of relief...........as it suffocates in the bottom of Konami's HQ. :(

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind a new Castlevania LoS, Given that IGA is already giving us the Castlevania we Deserve, maybe it'll be a Castlevania we want.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind a new Castlevania LoS, Given that IGA is already giving us the Castlevania we Deserve, maybe it'll be a Castlevania we want.

A new LoS 1 but not that other crap. #mirroroffail
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »
A new LoS 1 but not that other crap. #mirroroffail
Agreed, LoS1 aged rather well, it strikes as a passion project. MoF was a cash grab, and LoS2... well...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »

Everytime someone equates Bloodstained with Castlevania, my heart dies a little.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
Everytime someone equates Bloodstained with Castlevania, my heart dies a little.

I'm just hoping it's a good game.
I think if anything it's looking graphically more like a wayyyy updated version of DXC which honestly I'm not thrilled about.
Spritevania will always live on in our hearts and fan games.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 10:52:13 PM »
+1
I'm just hoping it's a good game.
I think if anything it's looking graphically more like a wayyyy updated version of DXC which honestly I'm not thrilled about.
Spritevania will always live on in our hearts and fan games.

My issue with equating both is that people are hailing Bloodstained the "new Castlevania" and forgetting Castlevania. Nothing can be Castlevania but Castlevania.

Bloodstained is not Castlevania. It may play like one, but fundamentally it's not one.

This mindset is dangerous to the Castlevania franchise and, even thought I'm the first on the line to throw dirt upon Konami's grave, I like Castlevania enough to consider it its own thing. By equating both, by hailing Bloodstained as "Castlevania's sucessor", we not only diminish Bloodstained's identity, but we kill Castlevania and its mythos.

I believe we must love Bloodstained by what it is, and not by what we want it to be. My love for Castlevania can't be replaced by Bloodstained.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:08:31 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 12:30:14 AM »
Agreed, LoS1 aged rather well, it strikes as a passion project. MoF was a cash grab, and LoS2... well...

I'm of a mindset that LoS2 wasn't particularly a bad game, I'm just extremely salty about it because it WASN'T as good as LoS1, even though the demo made me think it was going to be way better.

I rather enjoyed LoS2 aside from the garbage stealth segments. I'm not a particular fan of the storyline either.

My issue with equating both is that people are hailing Bloodstained the "new Castlevania" and forgetting Castlevania. Nothing can be Castlevania but Castlevania.

Bloodstained is not Castlevania. It may play like one, but fundamentally it's not one.

This mindset is dangerous to the Castlevania franchise and, even thought I'm the first on the line to throw dirt upon Konami's grave, I like Castlevania enough to consider it its own thing. By equating both, by hailing Bloodstained as "Castlevania's sucessor", we not only diminish Bloodstained's identity, but we kill Castlevania and its mythos.

I believe we must love Bloodstained by what it is, and not by what we want it to be. My love for Castlevania can't be replaced by Bloodstained.

That whole "Bloodstained is the new Castlevania!" mindset bothers me as well. It may feel and play exactly like it, but it ultimately isn't. And Bloodstained shouldn't be. Bloodstained should be its own thing.

Mind you, the same applies for the whole mindset of "We haven't had a Castlevania game since Order of Ecclesia!" when referring to the fact that LoS doesn't feel like Castlevania.

Basically, for the former: No. Bloodstained isn't Castlevania. For the latter: Yes. We've had several Castlevania games since Order of Ecclesia.

On the topic of this game, they're not really giving a lot to go off of to really hype me for it. And I'm wary of MercurySteam after being extremely disappointed with their last two games (I'll again reiterate that I didn't think that they were bad games, but yes, extremely disappointing).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 01:51:30 AM »

Basically, for the former: No. Bloodstained isn't Castlevania. For the latter: Yes. We've had several Castlevania games since Order of Ecclesia.

I feel like those 2 statements directly contradict one another because of this:

There's a difference between one game playing like another and one game feeling like another. Personally the ost, the ambience, the fountains & lack of hearts and candles, the sound effects, the weight of the character, the combos, titan fights, the plot and final boss did not feel like Castlevania in LOS. It played like Castlevania for the most part( the character weight wasn't there and it held the player's hand too much, but the whipping and dagger throwing etc felt like Castlevania to me. As did the look of the main character, most of the environments and enemies (Werewolves, Vampires, Skeletons etc).

Bloodstained looks more like it will feel like the recent iterations of Castlevania (some like to call "Metroidvania" some don't)than LOS felt like classic Castlevania. Will it? Who the hell knows but we can only go by pre-conceptions for now. Based on that I would say yes it will feel that way because it's Iga's game.

In addition LOS is not Castlevania in the original series' sense. It doesn't share a lot of things with the original series, nor does it share the canon. We all know it had Castlevania slapped onto its title for profit reason$.

To summarise I don't believe one can say we've had several Castlevania games since OOE. Some may disagree with me but it's just the way I feel. If LOS is Castlevania to someone then BS sure looks a hell of a lot MORE like CV to me.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
To summarise I don't believe one can say we've had several Castlevania games since OOE.

Castlevania Adventure Rebirth?
Where does Harmony of Despair fit into this?  Gameplay-wise it's Castlevania's later iterations... just missing the plot and some other things.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags:

anything