Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why the Belmonts were unable to use the Vampire Killer after Richter.  (Read 30368 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Do my eyes deceive me? Have I been gone so long that THIS is what I return to?!?

First of all, Koji Igarashi has done more to move the Castlevania story along than any other writer the series ever had! Or are we forgetting he was the scenario writer on SotN? Not to mention he officially ousted the 2 absolute worst titles in the series from the time-line. (Time-line should be read canon.) Also, Iga has absolutely nothing to do with the localization or translation of anything.

Secondly, in AoS they didn't go to the moon and they sure as hell weren't vacationing. The eclipse thing is obviously a metaphor for a separate dimension. And if any of you found yourselves in the same situation you'd be pissing yourselves not lounging by a pool relaxing.

Thirdly, I dare any of you to name a Castlevania game featuring Richter "Out preformed by a little girl" Belmont WASN'T pretty damned pathetic AND explain why. And PoR doesn't count because it wasn't really him.

That said, I'm very anxious to see what happens with OoE. If Richter does show up I will be very happy to see him not be a little bitch. Also, I do have to agree that if the story does involve the Belmonts being 'extinct' that would be REALLY stupid.

And, as far as the actual topic, All we know is that the Belmonts must not touch the whip until 1999. Sounds like either it's part of the prophecy or a ritual. Perhaps in order to put down Dracula for sure the Belmonts are preparing a spell that takes hundreds of years to complete? It would make sense if Julius only had a year or less to train with a super powered VK that he would not have been skilled enough to prevent whatever it was that took his memory.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:01:28 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
In Reply To #31

Wow, you are so right. Finally someone sees the good that Iga has brought to Castlevania. If it weren't for him, CV wouldn't even be around today. There would be practically no story or interesting plot whatsoever because it would have been cut off god knows when.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
In Reply To #31

Oh cut the crap. The Castlevania story line is a joke now. And  we all know that they didn't actually go to the moon or on vacation. It's called sarcasm. And besides, I used the vacationing part to describe why Richter would be in Japan in the first place.

In Reply to #32

And how the hell do you know this? Maybe the series would be bigger and better than God of War.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
And how the hell do you know this?

I'm St. Germain. I have time travel powers.  :o :P
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
And I suppose that you'd rather have the 100 year cycle thing still going? And what is so horrible about the over-all story arch right now? So, some of the characters are kind of stupid, at least we HAVE a cohesive story. Castlevania had one foot in the proverbial coffin when SotN came along. Why else do you think the took the series in such a radical direction? I know a thing or two about the development process and SotN was a make or break title for the series. Face it. Before LoI we had no beginning, and before AoS/DoS we had no ending. All I'm hearing is a bunch of Iga bashing just because you don't like the way the Castlevania story has unfolded. Also, what is all this talk about Iga making Richter look bad in the first place? How? You should be happy the man take such an interest in fans' feedback.

Finally, as I said before to answer your original question. The simplest explanation as to why the Belmonts can't use the VK is that it is part of the prophecy alluded to in PoR. (Which, BTW, is a very good game with very lame heroes, and a thought provoking story. The last battle was kind of lame, though.)=P
"Stuff and things."

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
All I'm hearing is a bunch of Iga bashing just because you don't like the way the Castlevania story has unfolded. Also, what is all this talk about Iga making Richter look bad in the first place? How? You should be happy the man take such an interest in fans' feedback.

From all the post I've seen in this thread and others (while daring to say this wasn't a thread to 'bash IGA' no less) by Thomas so far, I'd have to agree. I'm completely indifferent to the man (IGA) but good lord, stop pretending like the series had a remarkable story to begin with. 

It's a good thing SOMEONE tried to do something with it other than the usual "Man in conan clothing goes to fight vampire then watches sunset."

And I'm sorry, but I completely missed the part where Ritcher became a complete pussy. I didn't know getting brainwashed once = complete pussy.  Forgive me.

---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I wasn't aware that the Castlevania storyline was THAT horrifically bad now, nor was I aware that the storyline before SOTN and IGA was that deep and telling to begin with, so I'll agree with a few other posters on that.

And all this talk of Ritcher...personally, I think it's nice to know that even the mighty Belmont family has a few weak links, even though I refuse to say he is THAT friggin weak.

And as for this new DS game's storyline (that we know of) thus far, I'm a hell lot more interested in seeing humanity having to pull together so to speak and try and defeat Dracula on their own.  I love the Belmonts but it doesn't friggin hurt to go a little outside the box sometimes.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
where the hell's alucard then? belmonts are gone again except this time for good, dracula's forces are all over europe again, the shift of power should be even bigger than in sotn. did al forget to set his alarm clock and overslept?

still makes me wonder, did someone go and revive Drac or something? because if not, this game would take bram stoker's place.

and it'd be awesome, since it'd negate the existence of bloodlines and pork in the official canon. :P

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Al's wanking off to memories of Maria and what could have been. In his mind.

Serio has a point though, if Alucard can wake up due to a premature castle, AND much later to explain things to Soma in AOS, why wouldn't he here, when the situation is most dire?

IGA better have a damn good explanation for the lack of the Belmont line all of a sudden, lack of Alucard and lack of the VK being passed on.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I wasn't aware that the Castlevania storyline was THAT horrifically bad now, nor was I aware that the storyline before SOTN and IGA was that deep and telling to begin with, so I'll agree with a few other posters on that.

And all this talk of Ritcher...personally, I think it's nice to know that even the mighty Belmont family has a few weak links, even though I refuse to say he is THAT friggin weak.

And as for this new DS game's storyline (that we know of) thus far, I'm a hell lot more interested in seeing humanity having to pull together so to speak and try and defeat Dracula on their own.  I love the Belmonts but it doesn't friggin hurt to go a little outside the box sometimes.

Oh please. The storyline before Iga took over may not have been that "deep" but it was traditional. Dracula rose from the grave every hundred years and only the Belmonts were able to defeat him using the Vampire Killer. That's what made them so special. However, now anybody can defeat him, using any type weapon they want. And to make matters worse, he got rid of the Belmonts! Also, somehow, instead of returning from the dead every hundred years, Dracula is resurrected prematurely in almost every game.

And how do you not see that he treats Richter like crap? He has him get brainwashed by Shaft, use his most powerful attack on Alucard for it to do hardly any damage, insinuates that Jonathon Morris could defeat him in battle, and has him lose the power to control the Vampire Killer.

And if that's not enough, he had Trevor get stabbed, doesn't even inform us on what happened to him, and turned Dracula into a Japanese teenager named Soma. He's a schmuck and his storytelling sucks.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards

And how do you not see that he treats Richter like crap? He has him get brainwashed by Shaft, use his most powerful attack on Alucard for it to do hardly any damage, insinuates that Jonathon Morris could defeat him in battle, and has him lose the power to control the Vampire Killer.

To be fair, IGA has always stated that Rondo was one of his favorite games in the series. And he's appeared in several CVs in some form since his original game. I highly doubt he hates the character as such.

Also, Jonny boy fought a mere memory of him -- not the real Richter, as someone else said.

And if that's not enough, he had Trevor get stabbed, doesn't even inform us on what happened to him...

Well, that was a cheap untied loose end, but we know for a fact that he survived, because the Belmonts lived on.

...and turned Dracula into a Japanese teenager named Soma

I didn't mind the idea that he was reincarnated, it just meant he was getting weaker and had to result to dire efforts, and Soma's stoic personality fits. But the whole thing seems messy until the eclipse-sealing of 1999 is explained. Otherwise it comes off as silly to me, or at least too convenient.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline king metroid

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
copypasta from the chapel;

my theory is that after symphony, richter and anette did have a son, but for whatever reason they disappeared. maybe, shaft's curse somehow affected the belmont's link with the whip? since every generation of the belmont bloodline is stronger than the last, maybe it looped around and started over? the belmonts hide somewhere for 200 years to fix this, and leave everyone else to fight for themselves.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
To be fair, IGA has always stated that Rondo was one of his favorite games in the series.
Cv3 not rondo.

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards

Oh please. The storyline before Iga took over may not have been that "deep" but it was traditional. Dracula rose from the grave every hundred years and only the Belmonts were able to defeat him using the Vampire Killer. That's what made them so special. However, now anybody can defeat him, using any type weapon they want. And to make matters worse, he got rid of the Belmonts! Also, somehow, instead of returning from the dead every hundred years, Dracula is resurrected prematurely in almost every game.

Well he's kinda got a loop hole, since no game has every officially stated that the Belmonts and ONLY the Belmonts are able to defeat Dracula. The have the weapon and more than enough reason but obviously (even before IGA if you count Castlevania 64 and COTM) aren't the only people that can do it. They may be the only people that can completely destory him, but not defeat him. 

You make it sound like half of the series is composed of other people defeating him when it's only been like what? Maybe three? Alucard, Hector, Maria (she helped so I suppose she counts...). And who else that's canon wise?   All of which were proven to be exceptionally powerful enough to do such, though Dracula wasn't even at full power/strength in two cases and Maria only technically helped Ritcher. The Morris family is still related to the Belmonts and Soma never fought Dracula.

I actually understand what your saying about this possibly take away from the Belmont family being special but I also notice that:
1. As stated, there haven't been that many cases of someone else having to defeat Dracula and
2. It's only under a special circumstance, being that the Belmont family isn't there to help humanity, for whatever reason.

A N T R A X X pretty much hint the nail on this one. He may have been brainwashed but it's not like it happened immediately.  It appears that whatever Shaft did, it must have not only been quite powerful but it took a while to actually work on Ritcher. (Years it seems) I don't think it was meant to show how "OMFG!" weak Ritcher is, but how strong someone like Shaft is. 
As for the attack on Alucard, I wonder if where the Belmonts acquire their power might have anything to do with this as a whole. Remember in PoR, Johnathan couldn't use the whip on Loretta at all and it ended up being because she wasn't 'completely' a vampire and still (I suppose) had humanity left.  Alucard himself is half-human and has no ill intent, despite Dracula's bloodline.  What if the whip reacts to this as a whole?  As for his powers (like his crashes), what if they possibly work the same way?  Or what if the fact that Shaft was controlling him (and thus, evil was) weakened their affects?

And he fought Ritcher's memory, not the actual Ritcher.  And the game even went through the trouble of making it seem like he had a hard time doing it after the fact.  I can't imagine him beating the crap out of the actual Ritcher.

And if that's not enough, he had Trevor get stabbed, doesn't even inform us on what happened to him, and turned Dracula into a Japanese teenager named Soma. He's a schmuck and his storytelling sucks.
I'll admit, I was pissed (Trevor is my favorite Belmont) when he never explained what happened to him, though I suppose whats her face explaining that he was wounded gravely but still alive, was suppose to be hint enough since it never states he actually dies.  I kinda just figured Trevor getting hurt was the ONLY way Hector was going to be able to face Dracula alone cause yeah, Trevor could have handled his business.  8)

Same as A N T R A X X here: don't mind that he's been officially reincarnated.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
yeah, so far every non-belmont in one way or another fought a freshly resurrected dracula, who was outside of his 100 year cycle, so most likely he was severely weakened.

imagine, if all those outsiders who didn't have the power to slay everything related to the darkness (created by infusing a soul of someone dear to the wielder tainted by the darkness into the weapon) like hector, alucard or the morrises had that much trouble fighting drac who was probably at less than 5% of his full power, they'd be totally wiped out were they fight him at full power.

this alone could indicate that only the real belmonts are capable of fighting drac when he's in his top form, and the others can only hope to beat him when he's not.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:42:06 AM by Serio »

Tags:

anything