Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 454406 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »
I like this new Julius more than the previous one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2015, 04:09:26 AM »
+1
Just small update on what I'm doing now:

Lately, I've been trying to trace the origins of the Lecardes. I succeeded in the side of Eric, and most recently, I traced the side of Eric's second wife. This is important to tie up with how Jonathan acquired both the Stellar Sword and the Alucard Spear, and the knowledge to teach Julius the Omnia Vanitas technique, which is developed from Maxim's ancient technique. Here it goes:

(click to show/hide)

Now for the detailed explanations:

(click to show/hide)

Now, the only thing left is Eric's side and how the hell he got the Alucard Spear. It's already written and is being reviewed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:40:19 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
Why the hell weren't you in charge of the Castlevania series?! All this is good stuff! You're really paying attention to every minor detail in order to make the best possible/logical connections however you can. It's unfortunate that IGA never did this or would would have a more fluid series with little to no contradictions and plotholes to patch up ourselves.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
The details, man, the details. Awesome.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:47 PM »
Thanks dudes :)

Unfortunatelly, the side of Eric of the family will require waaay more fanfiction, because there were little to no threads for me to pull.

Also, I added a bit about the sisters' eyes symbolism to the detailed explanation up there. Nothing major, just one more hint at how the sisters behave like a glyph union themselves.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:01:47 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: September 05, 2015, 03:29:42 AM »
This is awesome plot! I can't wait to read about Eric's side.

Oh and the characters that made up the name "Stella" are called katakana and not Kanji. Kanji are the Chinese characters. Katakanas are characters used for foreign loan words like English, for instance.

Offline Kirihara Akira

• I am right here...
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: September 05, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
Good stuff, thank you for looking up all these. Actually, can I ask some questions?

Abut the eyes of the sisters.They only have the "red eye" when they were vampairized. After purified, their "red eye" disappeared. Do you noticed that?

Also, something about Shanoa. Well, this is nothing more than my own imagination. I just wonder that, why Shanoa can be the host of Glyph magic, while Albus could not even with the help of Belmont blood?

OK, here comes my imagination----Is Shanoa a Belmont? I just think that only the blood of Belmont can contain the power of Dracula without being consumed. It just my imagination thought. What do you think?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #247 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
It was my understanding (could just be headcanon) that Albus could use regular glyph magic just fine albeit not nearly as well as Shanoa. It was specifically Dominus that he failed to control despite using Belmont blood to augment his abilities.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kirihara Akira

• I am right here...
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: September 05, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
Oh yeah, OK, I got it wrong. But do you understand what I meant? Why Shanoa was able to control Dominus but Albus can't? What is the different between them? Don't tell me Shanoa could control Dominus because she was a female. I will not take that. :-\

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #249 on: September 05, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »
Don't tell me Shanoa could control Dominus because she was a female. I will not take that. :-\

You may have just answered your own question there Kirihara Akira. and with all due respect you just might have to accept that.

Throughout history in terms of the old religions, females have often been represented as of divinity and purity; the physical manifestation of the great goddess on earth. You'll find this all throughout the teachings of sprituality. It was only later on (through the advent of the male-dominant christian religion) that that representation was reversed and women were seen as harlots and prostitutes with unclean bodies associated with sin and lust (which is just not true on any level and is disrespectful of women in general).

As far as I'm aware of Shanoa isn't blood-related to the Belmonts and the game does not tell you otherwise either. I've done several play-throughs and found no evidence pertaining otherwise. But when she gets the first Dominius glyph which Albus had, it partially contained the magic of the Belmont blood so this could have also aided in preventing Shanoa from being corrupted. However Shanoa is not immune to the effects of the Glyphs. In other words if she uses Dominius she dies. There is no stopping that. Albus took her place as the blood sacrifice in order to prevent her death after using Dominius so she was spared.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
As far as I'm aware of Shanoa isn't blood-related to the Belmonts and the game does not tell you otherwise either. I've done several play-throughs and found no evidence pertaining otherwise. But when she gets the first Dominius glyph which Albus had, it partially contained the magic of the Belmont blood so this could have also aided in preventing Shanoa from being corrupted. However Shanoa is not immune to the effects of the Glyphs. In other words if she uses Dominius she dies. There is no stopping that. Albus took her place as the blood sacrifice in order to prevent her death after using Dominius so she was spared.

Pretty much what I was going to answer. The Belmont power contained in the villagers helped Shanoa withstand Dominus' corruption. By the time she gets Dominus' first piece, she already has the power of at least one villager. She never had to put up with Dominus before, like Barlowe and Albus did, and see where that took them both.

Also, something about Shanoa. Well, this is nothing more than my own imagination. I just wonder that, why Shanoa can be the host of Glyph magic, while Albus could not even with the help of Belmont blood?

That's the thing, the Belmont blood was useless without the Belmont power of the villagers. Albus never had it, while Shanoa did.

Shanoa could tap in the Belmont power because it was stored in the glyphs imprisoning the villagers, and according to the game, the glyphs contain "the power in all things, great and small".

Therefore, Albus couldn't tap in this Belmont power because he couldn't absorb glyphs like Shanoa can. He can only use them through Agartha. On my understanding, using a Glyph by proxy and actually absorbing it and the power contained within it to use it are different things.

As far as I'm aware of Shanoa isn't blood-related to the Belmonts and the game does not tell you otherwise either.

And I think IGA confirmed that, too, if I remember well. He said in his latest reddit AMA that he had not thought about making her blood-related to anyone at the time.

Oh and the characters that made up the name "Stella" are called katakana and not Kanji. Kanji are the Chinese characters. Katakanas are characters used for foreign loan words like English, for instance.

Thanks! I knew I had screwed up somewhere with the japanese -_-' Corrected it!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:41:27 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2015, 02:22:52 AM »
While I write up more stuff for you to read, I'll post here some ideas for unique monsters I had for this project. I might even draw some sprites for them in the future!

Here they are, even followed by Castlevania-styled short descriptions:

[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:15:25 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
Headless Mule (this one has a sprite to go with it lol):
Demonic mule said to once have been the daughter of a priest.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Mapinguari:
Brutal monster with a deadly glare in its eye, and a hungry mouth on its belly.[/spoiler]

That was a nice surprise to me, as a brazilian. Now about this interview, you've a link? I'm really interested in this now!  ;D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »
That was a nice surprise to me, as a brazilian. Now about this interview, you've a link? I'm really interested in this now!  ;D

It's really freaking short. I don't even think it qualifies as a proper interview:

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/2015/08/05/ex-diretor-acha-que-mula-sem-cabeca-seria-bom-monstro-para-castlevania.htm

English translation for the fellow dungeonites:
The "Castlevania" series made it's fame with monster-infested adventures inspired by the various legends from around the world - particularly European ones.

But does any creature from Brazilian folklore have a chance in Konami's classic franchise or some other game in the same style?

"The headless mule certainly would make a good enemy! Maybe even a boss" said the renowned producer Koji Igarashi to UOL Games shortly after the Microsoft pre-Gamescom presentation.

We've shown the Iga-san a drawing of the headless mule and also of the Saci, the elusive boy with one leg who is always accompanied by pipe and red cap.

"The Saci would concern me more about using him in a game, specially as an enemy," he said.

"A lot of people might misunderstand the idea and think it's prejudice against disabled people to place a character without one leg as an enemy that must be defeated."

There was no time to show other monsters from Brazilian folklore, but we also asked about a portuguese localization for "Bloodstained", the producer's new game in the style of "Castlevania" which is one of the latest crowdfunding hits on Kickstarter.

"What I can say is that we are thinking about it and if there are enough people interested, we will do everything possible to include it in the game," said Igarashi.

Funnily I was going to add the Saci to my list too (dude is too iconic, you have no idea), but decided against it due to his too-humanoid and not-so-menacing appearance.

There is one more monster from brazilian folklore I want to add, and this would be "Boitata." However, I find this name a bit silly for a freaking giant snake on fire, so I'd use it's original, tupi name "Mbae tata" that sounds more like something in the leagues of "Quetzalcoatl."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:56:28 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Kirihara Akira

• I am right here...
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Too bad I only know Chinese and Japanese monster. It seems I can't help you here. However, if you need anything about Chinese and Japanese religion, I would happy to help.

Tags: 1999 Awes