Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MMX: Variable Zero  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:05 PM »
Kinda wondering why I never put a thread about this up here.

Anyway, this has been my project baby for some five-odd years now, going back when it didn't have a name or really even know what it wanted to be. Been a slow slow going to get it where it's at, but I'm okay with that as the current result's not too shabby.

So, where to start. I suppose I should give the standard briefing in that this is a MMX fan project, and as per the title is centered on Robot Jesu-err, I mean Zello Zelatin Zops--err, I mean Zero, with gameplay and a campaign arc exclusive to his route of things.

Plot helps, so let's divulge a bit of that. There's a TL;DR version and the full version, whichever is preferable.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(I feel it somewhat necessary to put it out there that the amount of canon-digging I've done for the Megaman series to write this plot (including the elements I've not posted) might very well give Umbra a run for its money. Shit's got more holes than the Castlevania continuity, yo.)

Now for the fun stuff. I could link to individual things, but posting the playlists where everything's up is much more pragmatic.

So here's the (publicized) OST thus far:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdL0iJj-imbyvzo7EiZ7z_3ediMLJ3xW

And the gameplay/showcase playlist, though it should be noted that most of the videos in said playlist are dated in quite a few ways compared to the current build.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBdL0iJj-imaZnG7yk_2fkE23VH8-iyDc

Blaggggh, what else...a few screencaps! Some of them are older, though, and it'll be rather obvious which ones those are.
(click to show/hide)

A showcase of the main bosses and a few sprites of those which are done:
(click to show/hide)

And lastly, some .gifs of various stuff.
(click to show/hide)

So that's the flashy stuff I've got to show for it. I could do other things like post code or whatever but that's selectively interesting to I think like maybe five or six people on the entire board.

I'll update this thread of course, but if anyone's interested or cares enough for more "official" channels, I have this:

https://www.facebook.com/MMXVariableZero

Also, feel free to check out Jason Applegate and ToastieMan on dA, as they've been cranking out the conceptual art for a lot of the project so far and doing a damn fine job at it (though bear in mind some things posted might not be "in" anymore, or may be altered in appearance and storyline importance from the time in which the art was uploaded).

Anywho, that's all for now.  :)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:01:19 AM »
A couple questions:
  • Does this game consider Command Mission, which happened sometime after X8 as canon?
  • If so, does this game take place between X8 and CM, and is Axl currently busy recovering from Lumine's attack? If not, is Axl dead or going to die some time in the game?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
About time you posted this...
I am greatly looking forward to it

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
Also something I just noticed: you seem to have some sort of Omega Boost mode in the works. Will that mode have adverse effects immediately or in the long run?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
Command Mission isn't counted insofar that there are plot details directly referencing the events of it, but if it did this would take place after. Axl's off in another part of the world fighting, same as X.

Omega Mode is a lategame ability/password mode for subsequent playthroughs.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »
I had no idea you were a programmer. This was built in Game Maker: Studio? Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »
I don't like Studio. This is being built in 8.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
As an avid MM fan, this looks killer dude! I'm sure you got it covered but if you ever need some metal remixes let me know!  ;D
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
I'd never have a use for them in-game, but don't let me stop you if you want to cover any of the tracks.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:08 AM »
Oh hey an update woop woop

So this stage is being constructed at last, much to my enjoyment. Nothing like killing things WAY UP IN THE SKY RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A MOTHERFUCKIN' LIGHTNING STORM, right?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
Say hi to everyone's favorite bald antagonist!

(click to show/hide)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
How long to animate the green effect and how hard will be to animate it while Sigma moves?

And why does his cape "flash"? Is it like an hologram?
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
Just a scrolling layer underneath lines rendered transparent--not very difficult at all.

Yes. This body isn't entirely physical.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 02:53:47 PM »
DISCO FLAMENCO.  Dude, this fan game looks fucking boss!!!  Also, that zombie holographic data Sigma looks DOPE!  Undead and virtual, it's totally in line with our current sentiments.  You definitely have something you can work with outside of this fangame. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:59:27 PM by Eric Roman »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
I got bored.

Tags: #MOOGAMIN EX 

anything