Poll

Do you think that videogames are too violent?

No, not at all
Maybe, but it doesn't bother me
Yes!!! The violence needs to be toned down and possibly censored
Sort of. I bothers me a little
Violence makes games better. MORE VIOLENCE = BETTER GAMES!!!

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Are Videogames Too Violent?  (Read 7867 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Are Videogames Too Violent?
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »
Some people such as politicians and over-protective parents believe that videogames are to violent and want game companies to tone down the violence. Some even want to ban violent games all together. Me, I don't think violent games are bad. They can actually be therapeutic. We all get stressed and get pissed off. Both of these usually lead to aggressive behavior and just letting go and throwing a tantrum or lashing out physically is immature and unacceptable. So, how do you deal with all that aggression? What can act as a release? Well, the best way would be to allow yourself to feel that aggression and just let loose. Playing violent games can allow you to be as violent as you want without hurting anyone. They act as a release.
If I'm really stressed after work, I play games like Skyrim or some other violent game and a few hours later I feel less stressed.
The problem is that most kids play violent games before they are mature enough to properly handle it. Thus, they are either traumatized or they start to believe that they can act that way in real life. If parents think that these games are too violent, then they shouldn't buy the games for their kids in the first place.

Feel free to post your opinions after you vote.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
+1
I wish there were games with MORE violence. :p MadWorld and the Splatterhouse reboot are pretty off the chain, it would be nice to see more comic portrayals of extreme violence.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
If parents think that these games are too violent, then they shouldn't buy the games for their kids in the first place.
^THAT^
Also we have a age rating system now, like ERSB and many others, so they know what to expect of the game and if their kids should play it or not, dont blame the games, blame themself for buying a game that your kids shouldnt even been playing to begin with. If some parent come say bad things about violence in games, then please
(click to show/hide)

Ditto at AF, I prefered when MK are more comic than serious like now, we need violent games since different people tend to free themself from stress and crazy ideas using different themes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:22:23 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
+1
Why do people always blame videogames as violent?

The internet, movies and tv shows are more accessible and they have violence in them too.
What about the news? Isn't that the most violent one of all with actual events shown live?

Blame the parents for not monitoring their kids.
Blame the system for lax gun laws.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
I remember playing Mortal Kombat 9 for the first time, and seeing how they added an x-ray style simulation of broken bones and organs I was like "Holy shit that is friggin epic and horrible at the same time".  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Are Videogames Too Violent?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:49 AM »
I read a book on designing games once which if I recall correctly had something like this to say about violent video games:

Children are always going to want to play the games they are not allowed to play and not necessarily the ones which are aimed at their age bracket. So by making videogames which are violent you can target both adults and children at the same time.

I can’t help feeling that a lot of modern games embrace this philosophy way too much and that all the irresponsible parents, older brothers, friends, cousins etc.  Out there make it all too easy for developers to keep embracing it.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:46 AM »
MORE VIOLENCE... this way, the person who had the vision making the game doesnt need to feel restricted due to the ESRB. its like listening to your favorite songs, only to have the lyrics altered to cater to the youth. im sure this day and age there are becoming fewer ways to keep the youth from the "violence exposure" Thanks Google!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:18:42 AM by son_the_vampire »
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
+2
Are video games too violent? Or movies for that matter? I don't think so because they are a reflection of our world which is far more violent then any form of media could ever be. To see something on a screen is one thing, to experience it in real life would be a heart-stopper. If parents, governments, etc. complain these things are too violent then they shouldn't buy 'em. And if they still persist in getting rid of them then drag their sorry, ignorant asses out to the middle of a war zone and give them a taste of reality. Games and movies aren't as bad as they make them out to be. It is the reality that is far worse. I'd rather see violence on the screen rather then in real life.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
I'd rather see violence on the screen rather then in real life.

A brief of what I tried to say, thanks for it. I prefer it that way too.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »
Nope
Tragedy and Video Game Violence

Censorship is never the answer. And few things get me madder than people trying to force myself or others not to consume media or do other harmless activities just because they find said media/activities distasteful. Usually they'll use their children's possible exposure to media as an excuse to call for censorship. But it's not my job or anyone else's to raise your kid, controlling what they see and don't see is your choice and your responsibility, not mine and not society's. To have freedom of speech you have to have freedom of all speech, and that includes expressions of beliefs and artistic depictions of actions which go against everything you might hold as true and right.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:35:50 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
Who voted "more violence = better games"? :p I hope that was a tongue-in-cheek answer.

My favorite game of all time, Yoshi's Island, would be pretty retarded if Yoshi's eggs ripped apart Shy Guys in a bloody, giblety mess.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:19 PM »
I find modern games to be too violent, but I didn't want to be so extreme with my voting, in order to avoid sounding dictatorial.
They should control better what's in each game, but total censoring wouldn't be the answer either. Censoring violence would also mean, perhaps, censoring some pretty interesting stuff, since I believe everything comes together (I mean, it's the same people who censor, and if they become more strict, they would censor not only violence).
What I would censor every time is games that promote crime, like GTA. Fantasy violence is one thing, that doesn't bother me a lot, though sometimes it's borderline with bad taste or even exceeds that line. But real violence is really disturbing, and letting it in the hands of younger gamers is not a good idea. They should grow up playing Mario, not GTA (in my opinion).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
But real violence is really disturbing, and letting it in the hands of younger gamers is not a good idea. They should grow up playing Mario, not GTA (in my opinion).
Then they should never have gotten a hold of it in the first place. Ratings exist for a reason, enforce it.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »
Well, it's not like cinema doesn't give you the share of random violence aplenty. Gangster movies and series make the gangsters appear badass, which is a possibly worse than simply showing violence. Goodfellas and Scarface come to mind. Then there're movies like Trainspotting.

Begbie - who the fuck are you bar fight full scene
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »
Yes of course it applies to movies, even more than in videogames. That should be something parents concern about too, not only letting to censors do their work. But I still don't have sons, so I'm not entitled to say much on the matter.
On the other hand, I believe videogames being interactive could make a bigger problem to younger players than what movies could do, being something more, I don't know... passive?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Tags:

anything