Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457787 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2015, 04:32:27 AM »
@plot: You could remove the reading for the kanji of akumajou since the subtitle doesn't have a reading. I think the logo would look much better after.

Hmmmm, you may be right. I added it because some logos also have this too, like the old CV logos or the Lords of Shadow ones. I wanted to add it to the subtitle, but I didn't know how to write it. It would be something like ほん かげ の エレジ wouldn't it?

But it may be better if I remove it indeed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:34:47 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
I agree with Shiroi Koumori on the reading part, it feels strange to have furigana there.

but I didn't know how to write it. It would be something like ほん かげ の エレジ wouldn't it?

Yep.

My added suggestion is to add some key concepts from your game to the logo art, the spear being a prime candidate.
Dracula's final form maybe? seeing as the viewer will only see the outlines they will only serve as a foreshadowing but still give that aha moment when they encounter things ingame.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
My added suggestion is to add some key concepts from your game to the logo art, the spear being a prime candidate.
Dracula's final form maybe? seeing as the viewer will only see the outlines they will only serve as a foreshadowing but still give that aha moment when they encounter things ingame.

I don't think it's a good idea to add too much foreshadowing. STILL adding one weapon might be a nice idea! But only if I find space to do it.

Right now I removed the furigana. I'll mess with it a little more before posting it again.

Now, for today, I bring you one GIANT plot point of my story - It deals with how to break Dracula's revival cycle and the importance of Dracula's remains in the equation. This piece of plot is what kickstarts all the chain of events in the story. Read at your own risk:

(click to show/hide)

And here is a piece of the story's background, that will act in tandem with the above details:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:16:25 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »
Small update on the project:

Right now, and after ponderating a lot about it, I decided to open a secret Facebook group for this project. The group has a lot of advantages over the forum/thread format that pushed me on opening it. Let me explain:

-Secret conversations regarding the project are visible to anyone who wants to be more involved with it and wants/needs to be spoiled about it. This includes people who want to take part on knowing/add to the plot details, or want to contribute with media to enrich it, but doesn't want anyone to steal it WHILE allowing the people involved to see it.

-Anyone can post specific subjects and have it debated over in the comments. The thread format makes it easy to derail the topic at hand, and hard to find responses to the specific topic.

-The biggest reason I decided to do it: It allows me to create a glossary of all the terms and background-plot pieces that will fall together in place in the final story. This part was specially hard for me to keep up doing here, because there simply isn't enough space for everything (even though this space IS enormous) and the format won't allow me to organize things beyond post-formatting trickery.

So that's it.

And no, I won't stop posting about it over here. Every major decision about the project will be posted here just as it has always been and be discussed accordingly. HOWEVER, things here will obviously be slower than the things I decide to post over the group. I have numerous stand-alone ideas that I'd like to discuss or expose in a faster manner that the forum format simply won't allow me to do.

Lastly, the group exists, but no one is being added yet! I'm filling its "library" with contents about the story, so when people arrive, they have plenty to read and discuss. When I open the group for adding people, I'll warn you guys.

And again - anyone who doesn't want to take part in it will still lose nothing. i'll try to keep this thread up just like I've been doing :) The people added there will simply get early glimpses of how the project is unfolding before the major decisions are made and posted both there and here.

If NO ONE wants to enter, it's still not bad, because I'll be chronicling the project's progress for myself as I write it somewhere on the internet, safe from HD failures and etc.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:25:01 PM by theplottwist »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: October 01, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »
Story update:

In Aria of Sorrow we learn that Julius Belmont sealed the Vampire Killer inside Dracula's Castle to "weaken his magic and his spirit". However we never get to see where did he do it, or why the whip is needed to seal this magic or his spirit.

Now, for Umbra, I've selected a number of places where the whip could've been through logic. From featureless rooms to frachise staple rooms. And, through elimitation, I arrived at two choices.

As the story goes on Umbra, I'm deciding between these two places where Julius could've done it. The reason why the whip is needed is already decided for the two places (and they are different depending on what room it is), and now I'm thinking up only what will be the most fitting one for the tone of the story.

At the moment, the story is nudging me towards this one. And of course, spoiler alert:

(click to show/hide)

If you guys have more ideas where the VK could be sealed, tell me. The two places I'm thinking about are handpicked, BUT if you provide a reason to why the VK could be somewhere else, it can be considered :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:10:37 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2015, 11:45:04 PM »
Nice catch plot! I might have an idea on who's grave that is, but I'll just stay silent until you write the entire thing.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »
Nice catch plot! I might have an idea on who's grave that is, but I'll just stay silent until you write the entire thing.

You dudes are too fast to figure things out XD

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Small update on the project:

Right now, and after ponderating a lot about it, I decided to open a secret Facebook group for this project. The group has a lot of advantages over the forum/thread format that pushed me on opening it. Let me explain:

-Secret conversations regarding the project are visible to anyone who wants to be more involved with it and wants/needs to be spoiled about it. This includes people who want to take part on knowing/add to the plot details, or want to contribute with media to enrich it, but doesn't want anyone to steal it WHILE allowing the people involved to see it.

-Anyone can post specific subjects and have it debated over in the comments. The thread format makes it easy to derail the topic at hand, and hard to find responses to the specific topic.

-The biggest reason I decided to do it: It allows me to create a glossary of all the terms and background-plot pieces that will fall together in place in the final story. This part was specially hard for me to keep up doing here, because there simply isn't enough space for everything (even though this space IS enormous) and the format won't allow me to organize things beyond post-formatting trickery.

So that's it.

And no, I won't stop posting about it over here. Every major decision about the project will be posted here just as it has always been and be discussed accordingly. HOWEVER, things here will obviously be slower than the things I decide to post over the group. I have numerous stand-alone ideas that I'd like to discuss or expose in a faster manner that the forum format simply won't allow me to do.

Lastly, the group exists, but no one is being added yet! I'm filling its "library" with contents about the story, so when people arrive, they have plenty to read and discuss. When I open the group for adding people, I'll warn you guys.

And again - anyone who doesn't want to take part in it will still lose nothing. i'll try to keep this thread up just like I've been doing :) The people added there will simply get early glimpses of how the project is unfolding before the major decisions are made and posted both there and here.

If NO ONE wants to enter, it's still not bad, because I'll be chronicling the project's progress for myself as I write it somewhere on the internet, safe from HD failures and etc.

That group sounds cool..sign me up!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2015, 02:21:41 AM »
I have a question for you dungeonites:

On my story, there is space for one returning vampire to appear and have some plot relevance. However I can't decide who it'll be yet. All of these vampires have different plot details that they can enlighten that the others cannot, and these details have varying degrees of relevance depending on the person reading them. I'm thinking of the following options:

1. Carmilla - Can reveal her connection with Dracula and other detailed, personal info about the Count that only she could know as a potential "lover/bride/concubine" to Dracula.
2. Elizabeth Bartley - Can reveal more about Dracula's remains, more about her involvement with the first World War, and more about Dracula's first revival.
3. Olrox - Can reveal his connection with Dracula and more detailed information about the true nature of the castle itself, and even about the other vampires serving Dracula.

I can't have them all because that would be a vampire overload, and I'm not confident I can write that many vampires all at once without one overshadowing the other. Plus, I imagine these vampires would NOT cohexist harmoniously amongst themselves out of pure contention (a subplot about one trying to topple the other would be interesting, but let's forget this for now).

So, I'm personally leaning towards Carmilla and Olrox.

While Carmilla is the vampire who has appeared most from all of these, she's the only who has had zero plot relevancy yet, when Olrox already has the light novel, and Elizabeth already has Bloodlines. (plus, I already imagined a kickass Carmilla x Laura combo boss battle hohoho!)

With Olrox I could pull a theplottwist©-brand plot twist concerning his true intentions as Dracula's servant, and tie it with his actions in the light novel.

But I want your opinions. What vampire you'd like to watch making a return and why?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:29:47 AM by theplottwist »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2015, 04:59:25 AM »
I'm personally more interested in Olrox, as he carries information about the castle itself. Plus, his suit appears in Aria. :V
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »
Olrox should be the one, as he appears as the main antagonist in the novel that follows DoS.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
I'm personally more interested in Olrox, as he carries information about the castle itself. Plus, his suit appears in Aria. :V

Olrox should be the one, as he appears as the main antagonist in the novel that follows DoS.

Pretty darn good reasons to have Olrox.

I might still insert another vampire, but only if I feel confident enough I can write them both. So, continue voting. Olrox has two points in his favor :P

Also, there is a big possibility of me adding an original vampire to the story. The character already exists (and so does the vampire legend where they'd come from), but if they are a vampire or not, is still up for decision.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:52:34 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
1. Carmilla - Can reveal her connection with Dracula and other detailed, personal info about the Count that only she could know as a potential "lover/bride/concubine" to Dracula.

Carmilla is always a classic CV villain as she was in the series as early as CV II though rarely seen since. However what you have here,

"lover/bride/concubine"

completely contradicts her character. There is a reason as to why Carmilla is called the lesbian vampire and that she only went after women to feed upon. She would not be Dracula's lover/bride/concubine because it's not in her nature. It's just not the nature of her character. If you do choose Carmilla then don't take the route you've suggested. Whip up something else that could work for her. You should be true to the characters as much as possible as it'll show respect for the character and the literature they're borrowed from. Sadly IGA didn't do that with Dracula when he decided to make his origin story.

PS. sorry for the info dump but I respect these characters too much to see such a drastic change. Even if it's for story-telling :-\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:00:06 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2015, 10:15:24 PM »
completely contradicts her character. There is a reason as to why Carmilla is called the lesbian vampire and that she only went after women to feed upon. She would not be Dracula's lover/bride/concubine because it's not in her nature. It's just not the nature of her character. If you do choose Carmilla then don't take the route you've suggested. Whip up something else that could work for her. You should be true to the characters as much as possible as it'll show respect for the character and the literature they're borrowed from. Sadly IGA didn't do that with Dracula when he decided to make his origin story.

Very fair point. Castlevania's Carmilla adores Dracula like a god, and not as a lover. It'd also be out of place for Dracula to have a lover, as I don't think he'd take anyone else for a bride or lover anymore after Lisa.

I must point out, though, that Castlevania's Carmilla does display some drastic differences from Le Fanu's Carmilla (even sexually, as seen in Judgment and her bissexual dominatrix behaviors). Even though she is a reference to the character in his work, she still is an original Castlevania character, much like Castlevania's Olrox references Murnau's Orlok without being the same character (just read that light novel and tell me Olrox is faithful to Orlok xD). So, it's hard to be faithful to the book's Carmilla when I'm trying to be faithful to the Castlevania counterpart of these characters.

But still, I'm willing to bend her back into a more Le Fanuesque shape from what Castlevania did to her anyway, because I honestly loathe her guts on Castlevania. Castlevania made a character full of potential into a total bitch in the only game she has any personality (Judgment) and into "another crazy worshipper" in the game that is not canon (Circle of the Moon). I respect her much more on Circle, but I still don't like it. So, while I'll give Carmilla much of her Castlevania iconography, I'll try to rewrite her personality into something less raunchy.

I intend to make her into a more refined, matter-of-factly noblewoman with small eccentricities that hides her face behind a ball mask and dresses like she's going to an extravagant masquerade. And, of course, her lesbian side will return aswell, although in a much more tasteful fashion than Judgment's horrid representation of her sexuality. She'll still maintain her role as the one who knows about Dracula's personal life anyway. She might be a vampire, but she's still an observant woman and knows what's up.

Also, something I'd like to add to Carmilla VERY MUCH is the power to control Black Panthers or turn into one, and make her be able to go through solid objects as if she were a ghost :D

So, one vote for Carmilla (and for Laura by proxy) and two for Olrox :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:16:21 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #284 on: October 12, 2015, 03:19:16 AM »
I really want to see Olrox because I translated that novel.  ;)
Just answer "What's his beef with ye old Drac?"
And the plottwist-branded plottwist sounds really intriguing.

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything