Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 171039 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »
Uhhh, we discussed this earlier,

Its obviously the lighting on the boots and gloves rather than them actually being "purple".

Jorge obviously decided to make them the color they LOOKED which is purple when they are in fact actually white without a question.

I obviously missed the discussion then. My bad.

I hate to break it to you but Richter's pants aren't white. They are a light blue color in the art work. But his sprite does make some minute changes in the pallet. Like his garb having gray lining rather then red. And his hair is a dark blue rather then being brown and lastly his arm bracers are dark blue rather then being white wrappings.

I was more or less referring to his sprite.

But yes, in this artwork, his pants are light blue. In this also official artwork, they're white. In this picture from a cutscene, they're blue. And lastly, in this official artwork, they're white.

They do change from time to time, depending on the artwork. Just like how in the fourth artwork he only has wrist straps on, but in his official artwork (the one used in cutscenes), he has a leather glove on the right hand and wraps around his left wrist.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »
I was more or less referring to his sprite.

But yes, in this artwork, his pants are light blue. In this also official artwork, they're white. In this picture from a cutscene, they're blue. And lastly, in this official artwork, they're white.

They do change from time to time, depending on the artwork. Just like how in the fourth artwork he only has wrist straps on, but in his official artwork (the one used in cutscenes), he has a leather glove on the right hand and wraps around his left wrist.

Yes I agree. That's what they term as the artistic license. Artists whom are commissioned to do a piece of work for a project are given some leeway as to how they wish to approach it. However it is the Rondo game that gives us Richter's true colorations and look for his official art.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:30:54 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline ommadawnyawn

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure II: Belmonts' Revenge
« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Hey, is there a complete list of changes to the original somewhere?

Maybe it's been suggested, but you should think about incorporating Bisqwits retranslation into this.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15524.0.html

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: May 04, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Omma!
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline ommadawnyawn

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure II: Belmonts' Revenge
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »
+1
Thanks, Phoenix. Shadowrun (MD) is a pretty cool game.

Edit:
I'll just post my thoughts on how to improve the NES game further after playing Bisqwits retranslation, maybe someone can fill me in on if something was covered here in the Revamped version or it could at least spark some discussion:
- The bosses: Too few, so-so patterns, easy to exploit (flame/golden knife) and they are poorly presented as well having no music themes and letting the player move right past them if he/she pleases. It's also anticlimactic when they respawn like regular enemies.
- Day/night cycle: Add ability to enter houses during night time/make the night period shorter. I realise this screws with the multiple ending challenge, but it would be much more fun to play the game. They also create pretty big difficulty spikes at some points (such as around spiders, flying enemies and slimes). Another idea would be to add some chicken in a few of the...
- Multiple dead ends: I mean wow. There is a lot of unnecessary/unrewarding exploration in this game when you add it all up. I think Braham mansion was one of the worst examples.
- Change a couple of the clues to be a bit more specific and/or useful. I didn't really need to know about the gypsy, or the flame's location. I did need to know what the the blue crystal did without watering an entire forest with spider enemies, or to save the stake for further into the mansion rather than to simply strike it at... something.
- Change up which enemies are where and some of their placements. The game starts to drag a bit by the fourth mansion when you know what to expect from them. Regarding placement, there are points where you need to memorize spawn points so as not to get hit, and points where you need to wait around on stairs for enemies to move away because you can't attack them from below (changing the diamond's firing angle would be an easy fix, but the infinite ammo is problematic). There are also points where the opposition is harmless such as the boat ride, or the falling boulders in one of the mansions. Feels sloppy.
- Expensive items/weapons: More of an issue early on, but it really takes away from the initial excitement of an adventure when you have to start off with grinding.
- The stake salesman: Change it so that you can only buy one stake from each one; this way searching for him/her in each mansion isn't made redundant.
- Backtracking out of every mansion, it's a chore unless you're close to a level up.
- Sloppy hit detection around spikes (very noticeable in the second mansion).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:59:10 AM by ommadawnyawn »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »
Ho-lee shit. I do believe you are the first to correctly identify where this obscure picture came from!
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline vyck_st.judas

• Hunter in Training
  • Chillin' at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #321 on: November 29, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Um, Does anyone have a link for the Red Richter version? Simon looks great and all, But Ric is my favorite character to play as.
Secondly, is there a way to add other player characters? If you need animations i can make 'em. Just figured a char select would be pretty fun. Thanks. :)

Tags:

anything