Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: alucard gargoyle theory  (Read 10348 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »

remember this odd sprite from symphony? the first time i was petrified by those giant plant creatures in the long hallway & he turned into this gargoyle instead of the standard look, i was like WTF just happened to alucard?! it doesnt happen often, but i thought it was awesome & creative, just like with all the many other aspects of the game

ive wondered over the years, could this in fact be alucard's "demon" form emerging? being the son of the king of the underworld, why wouldnt he have a demon form like his father? whether the developers intended this, or just them being silly by adding an odd easteregg, i thought it was creepy & exactly how Alucard would look if he were to transform. i recall he even sprouts wings during one of his finisher techniques in Judgment

what you guys think?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
I believe it is his demon form.
Remember when you die in SotN, the picture shows a demon skeleton with a crucifix.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »
I always assumed that the "gargoyle" was a manifestation of his demon form that is brought out by Alucard's anger at being petrified.
As for the game over screen, I always associated it as a reference to Dracul, the dragon.
"Stuff and things."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
Remember when you die in SotN, the picture shows a demon skeleton with a crucifix.

Huh, I actually never thought of that. Would Alucard have a crucifix though?

Anyway Crisis, I do believe when Alucard double-jumps he sprouts wings momentarily. If he becomes petrified during the second jump he becomes a gargoyle.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:54:56 AM »
If he becomes petrified during the second jump he becomes a gargoyle.

This is somewhat correct. But the Gargoyle statue Alucard becomes when turned to stone I'm convinced is actually randomized. I did several tests of this as I wanted to see it happen again. Sometimes it took a while others it was fairly quick in the happening. And it didn't matter if I was double-jumping or on the ground.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:19 AM »
Huh, I actually never thought of that. Would Alucard have a crucifix though?

Anyway Crisis, I do believe when Alucard double-jumps he sprouts wings momentarily. If he becomes petrified during the second jump he becomes a gargoyle.

On the Japanese\PAl cover artwork he's holding one so it would make sense i guess.

i agree with OP anyhow, i've always thought of the gargoyle form as alucards equivalent to dracula's "true form".

aaalso 1st post here, used to post like, 10 years ago maybe, can't even remember what my username was, glad to see this forum is still going tho (: hi everyone!

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Crisis do you have footage?
I'm interested to see, because I specifically recall being able to do it the moment his wings were sprouted (upon second jump)
Also which console are you playing on?

It's a shame they didn't make this form as playable in the game.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Somacula

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
I always thought that Alucard's gargoyle form was a result of him losing concentration for maintaining a humanoid form. Just like Dracula has a bunch of true forms, I think Alucard actually does look like a gargoyle but has to maintain focus so that he retains his appearance. When he gets petrified, he'd momentarily get blindsided essentially and snap back into his true form. Kinda like Mystique.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
There were so many things in SOTN that were untapped and random. Given the size of the game (at the time) the amount of items one could find, the amount of familiars to level up (more than enough for 2-3 playthroughs)

Something that happened randomly a few times, I found that if I stood at the very top of a spire in the Holy Chapel with the Sword Familiar active, the music would stop and it would say something for about 2 seconds, not when attacking, not when doing Sword brothers, just being stationery. I can remember the exact phrase, but it was creepy. I think coupled with the Gargoyle and the bleeding fountain, these crept me out the most. (Personally I felt as if Castlevania stopped being eerie after AoS)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
It's usually something like 'ARE YOU WORTHY TO WIELD ME?' or something like that, right?

Offline Tanatra

• Everything Burns
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: alucard gargoyle theory
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »

I always assumed that the "gargoyle" was a manifestation of his demon form that is brought out by Alucard's anger at being petrified.
As for the game over screen, I always associated it as a reference to Dracul, the dragon.

Guys, guys, there is nothing profound or symbolic about the Gargoyle form. Depending on the brilliance of the director/producer, little details with subtle meanings can be quite common in movies and shows ("Breaking Bad" and the first "Matrix" film are great examples) but in video game production the art direction seldom has this much influence, even when it is one of the biggest selling points, as is the case with the CV series. Besides, symbolism and deep developed characters aren't IGA's style.

Crisis pretty much answered his own question:

ive wondered over the years, could this in fact be alucard's "demon" form emerging? being the son of the king of the underworld, why wouldnt he have a demon form like his father? whether the developers intended this, or just them being silly by adding an odd easteregg, i thought it was creepy & exactly how Alucard would look if he were to transform. i recall he even sprouts wings during one of his finisher techniques in Judgment

At best, it was a leftover sprite for an unused form concept that a low-level programmer added in there for shits & giggles; probably the same guy who felt that pizza was an appropriate food item for a game set in the late 1700s.

There were so many things in SOTN that were untapped and random. Given the size of the game (at the time) the amount of items one could find, the amount of familiars to level up (more than enough for 2-3 playthroughs)

Something that happened randomly a few times, I found that if I stood at the very top of a spire in the Holy Chapel with the Sword Familiar active, the music would stop and it would say something for about 2 seconds, not when attacking, not when doing Sword brothers, just being stationery. I can remember the exact phrase, but it was creepy. I think coupled with the Gargoyle and the bleeding fountain, these crept me out the most. (Personally I felt as if Castlevania stopped being eerie after AoS)

The demon & fairy familiars also have something to say if you remain stationary for a few moments after summoning them, regardless of the location. One of the coolest things about SotN is that it is just full of little details like that. Ever approach the skelerangs? They'll cower in fear when you get close to them. The "Verboten" banner that the Rune Sword makes is a nice touch too, though I've personally only ever seen it in screen shots.

The music on the second floor of the Theater in LoI was eerie as all hell, as I felt the same about the "Nightmare" track in CV3 as a kid. The Villa in CV64/LoI wins though for eerie atmosphere and horror,
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:20:29 PM by Tanatra »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:13 PM »
Guys, guys, there is nothing profound or symbolic about the Gargoyle form.

At best, it was a leftover sprite for an unused form concept that a low-level programmer added in there for shits & giggles; probably the same guy who felt that pizza was an appropriate food item for a game set in the late 1700s.

I have to lol at this because you're basically doing the same thing as we were from a different perspective.
However, as a programmer and a designer myself I can say for certain that there is a reason it was included because someone had to go to the effort of including it whatever that reason may be. Either way it's fun to speculate.
"Stuff and things."

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »

Actually recipes to what would later become known as pizza "margherita" can be found in papers dating back to the early 19th century, but i see your point aha

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
Actually Pizza was invented in ancient Greece, so it's not unrealistic to have it in SotN. But maybe the pizza box itself is the unrealistic part of the food item. food for thought guys. <--see what I did here?  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything