Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 975238 times)

Offline The Most Curious Thing

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #1050 on: May 13, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
This now has more money than Yooka-Laylee (albeit less backers), which is pretty cool since the latter has people from Donkey friggin' Kong Country - arguably a "bigger deal" than Castlevania for most people.

I honestly didn't expect this, mainly because we were told for quite some time that the later IGAvanias weren't that successful or popular, so I started to believe it. I blame Dave Cox, among others, for this. Though I guess the games didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, but it was most likely because of shitty marketing. Bloodstained has already had more marketing than any CV in recent memory, even if most of it was word-of-mouth and viral things.

Kickstarter is fab.

Bloodstained is still behind Yooka-Laylee by a good $600k -- you're probably looking at the funding of Y-L in pounds, which is only £1.5mil.

I'll be surprised if Bloodstained passes Y-L, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1051 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
I'm going to be so disappointed if we don't hit this. Like I will need to start an emo band dedicated to not reaching the 8-bit-tier, something to the effect of "Your anti-aliasing cuts me deeper than 8-bits ever could" and "8-bit hearts bleed 1080p at 60 fps".

10/10 would listen
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1052 on: May 13, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
while 2.5d is nice, i will always love traditional hi-res sprites more. hand-drawn sprites just have that special charm to them; from the fluid animations of alucard in symphony, to literally seeing soma's cold breath in dawn, amongst many many other details that, while possible to achieve with 2.5d, still wont be quite the same

call me oldschool but i love the clashing effects 2D sprites have with 3D parallax backgrounds, such as the rotating background corridor in that 1 section in super castlevania iv, the 3D chapel with the Great Sword spirit floating in the middle of the room in Symphony.

seeing stuff like this still impresses me till this day, and i will miss that feeling

I am right there with you. SOTN is not my favorite in the series, but it was certainly the best looking in my opinion. Such varied environments and palettes, beautifully animated and it has the perfect graphical vibe.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1053 on: May 13, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
I agree too, but from what IGA was saying in that Gamasutra interview, the game is going to be too huge for pixel art.

We know the fans want heavy 2D gameplay, and that will be a focus with both visuals and gameplay. But going the traditional pixel route was never an option due to budget and manpower restraints -- games this extensive would require a unrealistic number of pixel artists, and Unreal Engine was a perfect middle-ground solution.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: May 13, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »
So, maybe I missed it. Is it going to have some sprites as pixel art on a 2.5d backdrop? Or will it be things like candles that are sprite based?

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: May 13, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »
Imagine DXC but looking like GGXrd, that's the gist I get from it.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: May 13, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
man, that would be sweet!

-mouth waters-

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1057 on: May 13, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
I'm fine with the art we have now, but man, it would've been awesome to see Kojima's characters animated like that. A 2.5D game that emulates the look and feel of her paintings would be ballin'. But I guess that's for a future Bloodstained game...

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: May 13, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
Maybe Kojima can at least do some promotional art, say, cover art even.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1059 on: May 13, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »
Imagine DXC but looking like GGXrd, that's the gist I get from it.

The technology behind Xrd really isn't fit for this kind of game. They got away with it mostly because it is a fighting game and they played to the development strengths and advantages of the genre. It would not be that conducive for this game. Nor would I imagine they would have nearly enough budget to tackle it. Just to give you an idea, each Xrd character model took 3 months just to sculpt and format properly for the effect they wanted. This does NOT include animation time, just simply making the model itself.

Check out the Xrd GDC panel if you want more details and technical explanations. I don't feel like parroting the entire panel here.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1060 on: May 13, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
Yeah I don't expect the same graphic fidelity as Xrd (though I will have to check out the panel, I'm a sucker for graphics engine talks since I majored in CS with a focus in graphics) but they discussed experimenting with a lot of shaders and community input to replicate a 2D style. The new Strider was used as an example during the twitch stream (more signs that Capcom is the publisher?). Though Xrd is probably one of the most gorgeous examples of cel-shading there's a lot of history with it and I have hopes that the team can pull off something we'll enjoy.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1061 on: May 13, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »
How much money would they need to make Xrd-style graphics? I mean, we're already at 1.8 million and we still have 30 days to go...

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1062 on: May 13, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
How much money would they need to make Xrd-style graphics? I mean, we're already at 1.8 million and we still have 30 days to go...

Also if what IGA said in the interview is true, the company funding this project will give more 4.5 million more or less.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1063 on: May 13, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
One thing is for sure. IGA's finally getting a nice budget for a game he wants to make.
He had low budget games made with good results, imagine what he could do with more money.

They're added more on the popular tiers of Ancestral Bloodline and Runic Forging.
That retro level looks so sweet.
How much money do you think this KS would get at the end of 30 days?

I'm curious as to who gets to be on an IGAVENTURE. Jorge is that you?

I personally wanted the $300 tier but I don't have that amount of spare money nor a credit card.... sigh.  :'(

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #1064 on: May 13, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »
Bloodstained is still behind Yooka-Laylee by a good $600k -- you're probably looking at the funding of Y-L in pounds, which is only £1.5mil.

I'll be surprised if Bloodstained passes Y-L, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Oh my, you're right. I only looked at the numbers and completely missed it was in pounds. Well, now things make more sense.

Tags:

anything