Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 455132 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
That reminds me of SotN, but in a good way. :3
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
That's big  :)

It looks like some of the segments are segregate by elevator shafts, kind like Metroid. That's something that IGA never did in his Metroidvanias. Looks interesting. Well given that it's 1999 I don't see why Castlevania would not have elevators in it.

Those are elevators shafts indeed, and they also work as transition rooms. The elevators segregate the upper areas from the lower, submerged areas. Plus, some of them only work if activated by mechanisms that certain characters can reach and the others can't. ALSO, what would happen if an elevator were to be broken ;) ?

That reminds me of SotN, but in a good way. :3

I definitely took pages off of SotN's map, but it didn't satisfy me as a whole. So I tried to improve upon SotN's and DoS's maps. Also, here is a more or less accurate size comparison:

One thing to have in mind is that I did not create it to "surpass" SotN's. I made it as I was thinking of how an hypothetical game should play out, and it just happened to turn out bigger.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
SotN map looks so tiny it's cute  :)

I remember making a CV-esque map myself and compared it to SotN. God, it was a huge map!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
***Slow clap

Keep it up, looks real good
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »
+1
***Slow clap

Keep it up, looks real good

Thank you!

Now, dudes. I present you Umbra of Sorrow's version of Julius Belmont, done by artist Junki Sakuraba!

Small rant ahead:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:40:53 PM by theplottwist »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »
+1
I applaude your small rant. If you have a vision, go with it. Feedback is great and very important, but it is all too often people let others sway their vision just because it doesn't suit that persons taste.

I'll admit, it's a bit feminine but if that's the style you want, go with it. It isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway. It's more identifiable in a way.

Besides, the artist has talent!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Give him a pair of breasts and a taco and I'll look the other way.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
You're joking, ya pesky X, but his face was even more feminine before. The artist was really kind to modify it for me, because I basically butchered his personal style for faces (which is indeed a breed of Kojima) asking him to do this (under peer pressure, no less). And he still managed to pull it off and keep most of his own vision intact.

If Kojima could get away with Juste and Alucard, I'll get away with Julius ò_ó

Also, thanks Dracula 9. He gave very specific input about how Julius' face was too feminine, and I fowarded his input to the artist, who fixed it to the most of his ability without sacrificing his own style.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:08:06 PM by theplottwist »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
Thank you!

Now, dudes. I present you Umbra of Sorrow's version of Julius Belmont, done by artist Junki Sakuraba!

Small rant ahead:
(click to show/hide)

So, pretty dude! That's some damn good art there! You should do a full Aluard profile too.

Dude when you are done with this, you do know you pretty much have a working game design document for a potential game right?

We need some awesome programmers to step up!  That is if you feel like doing tons of art! ROFL

Can we see the more feminine version?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »
So, pretty dude! That's some damn good art there! You should do a full Aluard profile too.

Full Alucard profile is coming. The artist is eager to draw him, even.

I'll get a full-body art for all main characters (including Death, Dracula, and a character of my own creation).

The supporting characters will get busts :)

Dude when you are done with this, you do know you pretty much have a working game design document for a potential game right? We need some awesome programmers to step up!  That is if you feel like doing tons of art! ROFL

Yep, I know. In fact, I do have some very specific details already laid down for a *possible* fangame, but this will require an enormous joint effort. If I sit down to make it into a game, I won't take less than "looks hella official to me" as its quality.

There are also some talented programmers that have approached me wanting to turn this into a game, but I turned them down for now. I still don't have enough material to leave them building while I create more material.

Furthermore, I fear that the programmers could leave the project altogether for no reason, or take it hostage. While it's in my hands, I can manage, but once other variables enter the picture, I get really scared.

As for the more feminine version, it's more a change on the face than in the body. There isn't much to show, honestly. Unless you insist, of course.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:54:51 PM by theplottwist »

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
+1
Whatever happened to 80's he-man Simon Belmont type of art  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:07:39 PM by SabinFigaro »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »
Oooohhhh... Julius is so pretty~! I like it. :)
I can't wait for Allie's full profile. I'm holding my drool at the moment.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
I'm looking forward to the now ancient Johnny and Charlotte pics too :)
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:26 AM »

There are also some talented programmers that have approached me wanting to turn this into a game, but I turned them down for now. I still don't have enough material to leave them building while I create more material.

Furthermore, I fear that the programmers could leave the project altogether for no reason, or take it hostage. While it's in my hands, I can manage, but once other variables enter the picture, I get really scared.

As for the more feminine version, it's more a change on the face than in the body. There isn't much to show, honestly. Unless you insist, of course.

Totally understood about the programming thing. You should really start looking at stuff like that yourself if you haven't already. With your art skills you already have a bit of a jump on the uninitiated when making fan-games.

Even with my fan-game I am pretty much doing everything myself, so it's more than convenient that I have art skills to not have to rely on someone else to basically program my game for me.

I don't know everything, but I am teachable and do know how to follow tutorials.

Please do share that other version of the art. I love early behind the scene stuff like that...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:26:19 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
+1
Whatever happened to 80's he-man Simon Belmont type of art  ;D

I miss that style too. It should never have been abandoned as it spoke volumes about Castlevania :'(

Tags: 1999 Awes