Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches  (Read 43150 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
Well this is a very sensitive topic, even asking how to correctly differentiate between equal-rights activists and outright "urban amazons" could very well end up offending the one you don't mean to. I suppose it really is a matter of eloquence.

I may not know about awhole lot about this topic, but damn tred softly and carry a big stick, because things can get out of hand real quickly. I remember in my english class the one before 101. We were talking about race and the boarder in california and man things got hella heated. Edit:
  some sounded racist when they did not mean to some people felt like they were attacked and attacked others man it's coming back to me. Again got to be careful about how one enters a situation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:43:21 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
I think the issue here is generalizing and painting people with a really wide brush.
Such acts are met with some pushback, especially when you're the one being hit with said brush.

I'm not offended.  I certainly haven't been an activist about it.  But by the very definition of the word, I am a feminist.  I'm not a 'straw feminist' (which is what seems to be the feminist 'caricature' that's being talked about here, also called 'feminazi' or 'straw feminist', like in the 2nd video the woman in the thread talks about).  However, I am somewhat concerned about the lack of knowledge about this from some of the people here.

I'm certainly not the type that refuses to call the manhole cover and wants to rename it 'person-hole cover'.  That's just stupid. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
+1
The problem is, Jorgey-sama, that every group (be it racial, religious, or whatever) has extremists the rest of them would like to keep away from. My parents are a good example of this. They're Muslim, and if you were to tell them, "you're not like *those* crazy Muslims," they'd probably agree. This is because they're lax Sunni Muslims who have little in common with...shall we say, harsher Wahabis or even the Shias (Sunnis represent the majority of Muslims, but Shias are the second largest denomination IIRC, and big in Iran). You could tell a black fella he's not like that other black dude...and if the other black dude is the "Rent is Too Damn High" guy, he might agree (XD XD).

That said, it's nice to believe that feminism is "just" about gender equality. However, at the risk of being an impertinent prunyuu, I would question whether or not *you* understand the term if you believe that. Now, I understand that this thread is just about Anita's videos rather than feminism in general, so if you think I'm going too far off-topic I'll drop the subject. I also consider you a friend, and I quite genuinely respect you. Despite all this, many of us here--not just me, but other posters as well, and I hope you have some degree of respect for all of us, or at least our intellects--seem to be fairly leery of a large subset of feminism, and perhaps feminism in general. I think at least a few of us have legitimate reasons for disliking feminism as a whole, to the extent that we'd be surprised at seeing a cool guy like you adhere to the ideology. Before feeling like we're attacking you, we might have some legitimate reasons for feeling as we do, if you'd care to hear them.

Again, though, only if you want to. I think I shall watch Anita's video right now, so we can talk about that if you want.

<_<

>_>

*mews*

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
I think the issue here is generalizing and painting people with a really wide brush.
Such acts are met with some pushback, especially when you're the one being hit with said brush.

I'm not offended.  I certainly haven't been an activist about it.  But by the very definition of the word, I am a feminist.  I'm not a 'straw feminist' (which is what seems to be the feminist 'caricature' that's being talked about here, also called 'feminazi' or 'straw feminist', like in the 2nd video the woman in the thread talks about).  However, I am somewhat concerned about the lack of knowledge about this from some of the people here.

I'm certainly not the type that refuses to call the manhole cover and wants to rename it 'person-hole cover'.  That's just stupid. :P

Well you do not have to worry about me because I am lacking in this area and am trying to learn somewhat. Something like internation affairs and government(my information is locked but once I reread it comes back) like political science 2 and us government(poli 1) I would fare somewhat better. There is so much that it takes years to try and understand "everything".

The problem is, Jorgey-sama, that every group (be it racial, religious, or whatever) has extremists the rest of them would like to keep away from. My parents are a good example of this. They're Muslim, and if you were to tell them, "you're not like *those* crazy Muslims," they'd probably agree. This is because they're lax Sunni Muslims who have little in common with...shall we say, harsher Wahabis or even the Shias (Sunnis represent the majority of Muslims, but Shias are the second largest denomination IIRC, and big in Iran). You could tell a black fella he's not like that other black dude...and if the other black dude is the "Rent is Too Damn High" guy, he might agree (XD XD).

That said, it's nice to believe that feminism is "just" about gender equality. However, at the risk of being an impertinent prunyuu, I would question whether or not *you* understand the term if you believe that. Now, I understand that this thread is just about Anita's videos rather than feminism in general, so if you think I'm going too far off-topic I'll drop the subject. I also consider you a friend, and I quite genuinely respect you. Despite all this, many of us here--not just me, but other posters as well, and I hope you have some degree of respect for all of us, or at least our intellects--seem to be fairly leery of a large subset of feminism, and perhaps feminism in general. I think at least a few of us have legitimate reasons for disliking feminism as a whole, to the extent that we'd be surprised at seeing a cool guy like you adhere to the ideology. Before feeling like we're attacking you, we might have some legitimate reasons for feeling as we do, if you'd care to hear them.

Again, though, only if you want to. I think I shall watch Anita's video right now, so we can talk about that if you want.

<_<

>_>

*mews*

Can...can I pet you and rub your head?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:30:27 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
*pats Gunlord* Nipaah~

Yeah, maybe its better to return to the main topic of this... topic.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
"That said, it's nice to believe that feminism is "just" about gender equality...."  Let me stop you right there.

Feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes "  Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Feminism: the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men."  Dictionary.com
Feminism: the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." oxforddictionaries.com
Feminism: Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes." thefreedictionary.com
Feminism: The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."  The Google definition of the term.

^I support these definitions.  I don't think it gets any easier to understand than that.
I believe that the sexes should have equal rights.

Perhaps there are other people who tack on other definitions or define the term with some other connotations and caveats.  That's them.
By the very definition of the term as described above, since I support this, I am a feminist.

And if there are other people who support the theories on those definitions above, then they too, are feminists.  They may not be activist feminists holding up signs outside places of government, etc. but that doesn't stop it from being any more true.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »
"That said, it's nice to believe that feminism is "just" about gender equality...."  Let me stop you right there.

Feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes "  Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Feminism: the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men."  Dictionary.com
Feminism: the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men." oxforddictionaries.com
Feminism: Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes." thefreedictionary.com
Feminism: The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."  The Google definition of the term.

^I support these definitions.  I don't think it gets any easier to understand than that.
I believe that the sexes should have equal rights.

Perhaps there are other people who tack on other definitions or define the term with some other connotations and caveats.  That's them.
By the very definition of the term as described above, since I support this, I am a feminist.

And if there are other people who support the theories on those definitions above, then they too, are feminists.  They may not be activist feminists holding up signs outside places of government, etc. but that doesn't stop it from being any more true.

yep it does not get any more easy than that. That part I knew, but yeah as far as communicating and having my hands a bit dirty I got absolute zero exp. But it's really no different than equal right's in the end in my opinion. Just pure equality. But I will say I'll still act old fashioned like open a door, but were paying 50/50 for dinner if it comes down to it.  ;)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
*rolls over for a belly-rub*

That said, I watched the video. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I actually learned a couple of things, like how Miyamoto worked on a game called Sheriff. The presentation was also competent and professional, though given the money Ms. Sarkeesian made I expected better. It's also nice she demonstrates familiarity with many classic games; not just Muriu and Zaldu but our own beloved Castlevania, Ghosts and Goblins, etc.

I can concede this, but still find her video uninteresting--not even bad, but just uninteresting, which is an even harsher criticism coming from me--by noting that she fails to do one very important thing:

Tell the viewer what he or she is supposed to do about all this.

Yes, Ms. Sarkeesian, we can admit the stereotypes buttressed by the "damsel in distress" trope are pernicious, at least if we assume the differences between men and women are "socially constructed" (which is a very generous assumption, but let's not get into that now). We can even agree that it's "lazy storytelling." However, the inevitable question arises: What, Ms. Sarkeesian, would you consider to be a better story, particularly for children's games (as Mario is)? You have no suggestions? Not even any examples of games "doing it right?" Considering we've had Metroid since the 80s--and more recent entries such as Mirror's Edge, too--I find this hard to believe. Would it really have been so hard to cite a few of these examples as proof games *can* do better? Why did you simply dedicate the better part of twenty-three minutes and thirty-five seconds to essentially nothing but negativity? Yes, you have the nice little anecdote about Dinosaur Planet, but even that is used as a negative example (Krystal's show was stolen by Fox). Why not look at games with strong female protagonists that actually were released? It may be true, as you said, to look at even things we love with a critical eye and examine their "problematic" aspects. But a skilled critic observes the good as well as the bad, and finding a problem should involve finding a solution too. I waited for over twenty minutes and saw none of that, so I came away bored.

Perhaps it may be that there are no positive examples Ms. Sarkeesian could find. That beggars belief, but once again, I will accept that assumption for the purposes of argument. Yet I still come away from her video unsatisfied and uninterested. If the trope she described truly is so terrible and socially regressive, what does she want us to do about it? She does nothing in the entire video besides tell us the trope's history and why it's bad; this is fairly banal if you already accept her premises and certainly not worth all the money she was given. I would have been much more intrigued had she addressed the viewer--indirectly, preferably, but even directly would have been nice, though graceless. Tell us what we can do to fight the trope. Buy videogames involving Strong Heroines who are Subjects, not Objects? Develop our own videogames where Strong Heroines are Subjects, not Objects? Complain to Big Devs until they start making videogames where Strong Heroines are Subjects, not Objects? All three are plausible, though I much prefer the first two methods. Yet she doesn't name a single one--or any other, for that matter.

And thus, after watching the whole thing, Gunlord-kun will regard her video disinterestedly, likely regard her future videos with equal disinterest, and find something much more engaging to do--namely, wandering off to his fellow Dungeonites for more headpats and scritchies.

Mew.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:09:13 PM by Gunlord »

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
+1
@Neobelmont: A speech/debate class is great for your degree.

@Gunlord: コチョコチョ *koochie-koochie koo* Here have some canned tuna.

Feminism such a big overlapping theory with loads of subclasses...
So choose your pick.

Types of Feminism (really long pile of data)
(click to show/hide)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
Separatist feminism: Advocates separation from men, physically, emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. Argues for women-only spaces, large and small, including lesbian separatist living communities, women-only music festivals, and consciousness-raising groups. Often emphasizes healing and connection between women that male-patriarchal spaces prohibit. Sometimes promotes spelling “women” as “womyn” in order to remove “men” from the word “women.”

I find this one to be most concerning. Both Women and men were created equally by a Mother and Father God. The blueprint for women came from mother God (Azna) while the blueprint for men came from Father God (Om). And just like them, we were meant to be together. I don't like the idea of an all-women's club and I already hate the idea of the all-boys club. Deliberate segregation of the two sexes is crap. We were all meant to be together. It is the universal truth about humanity that unfortunately many have tried to either deny or destroy. In the end, we all drift towards one another. There's just no avoiding it in any way, shape or form. It's inherent in all of us, even the loners (like me). There's no deprogramming the divine truth out of us, it's impossible.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
Gunlord, we need to wait for part 2, she is holding all the positive things on purpose, you can see that when she cites Super Princess Peach. But yeah, its kinda boring, you deserve milk and a nap for enduring this until the end.

*puts milk to Gun-kun drink*

Shiroi Koumori, bravo! That is a great help to clear the things here.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything