Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848821 times)

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5265 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »
I originally replied to the Tweet, but deleted it after I realized he's already done with the games he plans to work on. After LoS2, he's gone, so no point in trying to bitch him out by now.

Although I am a bit sickened by all the gushing the LoS fanboys are giving him. No constructive critiques?

This has pretty much been my attitude with the games: give em a shot, enjoy what I can from the games, amd if it amounts to nothing, take solice in knowing he's only got one left.  8)

As for the LoS famboys, I think it's just typical 'white knight' banter: an unapologetic need to defend the game because they feel it's unfairly persecuted by blind hatred  from the older fans.  So the best way to support it and Cox, is blindly. Or at least, for some of them.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5266 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
+7
Remember when IGA was a sarcastic asshole to fans? Neither do i.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5267 on: March 08, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
Remember when IGA was a sarcastic asshole to fans? Neither do i.

Full on agree.

Maybe I'm not the biggest fan of most of his games, but at least he is not a jackass.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5268 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
+4
Im pretty sure Cox gets those types of questions like that all the time but he shouldn't have replied like that. He could have kindly said "Sorry but we're using an entirely new score for the next game." or simply ignored it altogether, instead of trying to be a smartass.

Same thing goes for any other PR person/developer who thinks they can get away with being a jerk online (Looking right at you Kamiya.)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5269 on: March 08, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
Someone should really rip the soundtrack soon.

The Dracula battle theme is so good.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5270 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »

I liked the whole soundtrack to be honesy especially the Lady of the Crypt music in the 2nd phase.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5271 on: March 08, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Im really digging the Reavers battle theme, someone needs to rip that ASAP.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #5272 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »

The one song with the synth-line that played in the underground mine in Trevor's story was really good too.

IMO, the whole soundtrack was amazing. I liked Lords of Shadow's OST, but I can definitely see where the "generic" comments came from. When the music played, it just...played. I never found myself going "alright, this song again!". Quite the opposite in Mirror of Fate. The soundtrack is completely new, but still feels like something from a Castlevania game. When a song I like played, I found myself excited that it was actually playing.

As far as I'm concerned, Araujo has proven himself, and it makes me very interested to see what he comes up with for LoS 2, since it's a game with an actual budget that might be getting more than 12 tracks.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5273 on: March 08, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
I liked the whole soundtrack to be honesy especially the Lady of the Crypt music in the 2nd phase.
I have to say, I really did too. Much more creepier and fitting for Castlevania. They struck the same atmospheric chord they went for in IV in my opinion.

Speaking of bosses, this is probably my favorite in the game next to the last Dracula fight. Really cool design too. 33 seconds in.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - Walkthrough Part 3
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:45:47 PM by OSM »

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5274 on: March 08, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
+1
Im pretty sure Cox gets those types of questions like that all the time but he shouldn't have replied like that. He could have kindly said "Sorry but we're using an entirely new score for the next game." or simply ignored it altogether, instead of trying to be a smartass.

Same thing goes for any other PR person/developer who thinks they can get away with being a jerk online (Looking right at you Kamiya.)

Cox has always struck me as being a bit clumsy as far as PR goes. He can talk well enough but there are times when I wonder if he realizes how he comes off. This being one such case.

People could bring their opinions to his attention by engaging him civilly and saving the bitching out for when it's warranted but then this whole discussion is just made funny by Nicko's response.  :P

Great to hear about the soundtrack. I can understand the desire for some remixes but at the same time I think Araujo would also like to bring his own memorable tunes to the series. Seems he's making progress.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #5275 on: March 08, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
+3
WTF is this????

I cannot believe he thinks that is an accurate analogy.  Some choice words just leaped into my mouth but I think I'll keep them to myself.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5276 on: March 09, 2013, 01:06:17 AM »
+2
I cannot believe he thinks that is an accurate analogy.  Some choice words just leaped into my mouth but I think I'll keep them to myself.

Me too.
Cox seems to think differently than most people.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #5277 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:38 AM »
In Cox defense, he has put up with a lot of angry fans, probably more than we know. What Mercury Steam did (according  to themselves) was simply follow the brief given to them by Konami. If anyone's to blame, it's Konami sort of. Dunno.

I am playing the game now.
I wish the controls were snappier! I am not happy about how the main characters move. It's actually the only thing preventing me from REALLY liking this game. Everything else is pretty good, I'd say. But the movement is slow and floaty. They should've made it tighter. I'm sure I'll get used to it though...

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5278 on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:28 AM »
I'm still playing with Alucard, because the new Tomb Raider has taken my attention, but as far as i have made it to the game, what i have listen from music, is far more enjoyable than the one from LoS.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5279 on: March 09, 2013, 09:50:08 AM »
+5
I resent people saying that it's "older Castlevania fans who loved the IGA games" vs the younger "LOS" fans. That assumption is wrong on so many levels.

1: I have been a huge Castlevania fan since the late 1980's. So guess what, the true "older" fans enjoyed the series for years before IGA ever stuck his nose in it.

I actually agree with everything Cox said. When SOTN came out, I loved it. But it did feel like a side story to me. Almost like a spin off of Castlevania.

Before that, Castlevania was focused on the Belmonts. The games were much more focused on action over exploration.

After SOTN, Castlevania turned into one thing for the next decade as IGA basically released the same game over and over again with different main character sprites (reusing most of the enemy sprites) many of which came from Rondo of Blood; a game he had no part in. And the series also got plastered with the anime art style which got old really fast.

I have to say that I think the best work IGA did was the first SOTN game, and then Lament of Innocence (which actually was a great game).

Anyways, my point is that these IGA exclusive fans seem to make some false claim on the Castlevania franchise and think they know what the game ought to be like. You all need to be reminded that Castlevania was around long before those games, and it really was a different beast. While I don't think Mercury Steam has pulled it off 100% perfectly, to me, their games are more true to the original great Castlevania titles such as Simons Quest, and Castlevania 4, than IGA's games ever were.

If I were a producer involved with the development of this game, IGA fans would be at the bottom of my "who to appease" list.

SOTN should be considered a spin-off, and certainly not a flag ship of the series.
The worst monsters are human.

Tags: .....?