Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NBC's Dracula  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Tuxedo Mark

• Vampire Hunter
  • I love Sonia Belmont.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Legends (GBC)
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:47:44 AM »
I dunno. It looks to have jack to do with the original novel, but it might be good in its own right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jVcmDH43Y

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
Yep. It's another one of those love sitcoms and obviously so since the director of the Tudors is behind it. I really wish Hollywood would not mess around with fiction or history like they do. They should just do their own thing instead. I'd rather see a Dracula sitcom or movie that actually, and properly depicts the original novel. The 1994 movie Dracula is close but was still more of a love story.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
Bleh. Too many changes to the original, and don't like the actor they chose for Vlad.
I did like the line about "making her into what I am? That would be an abomination."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:12:53 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Lone Wolf

Re: NBC's Dracula
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Yep. It's another one of those love sitcoms and obviously so since the director of the Tudors is behind it. I really wish Hollywood would not mess around with fiction or history like they do. They should just do their own thing instead. I'd rather see a Dracula sitcom or movie that actually, and properly depicts the original novel. The 1994 movie Dracula is close but was still more of a love story.

How about the 1931 movie? :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
How about the 1931 movie? :)

Never did see it, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it is even closer to the novel the 1994 movie was.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Well, I wouldn't expect much from NBC.
It's not like it's BBC.  ;D

That Mitchell And Webb Look - BBC Sketch
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
Never did see it, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it is even closer to the novel the 1994 movie was.
Not really. The Coppola one is actually pretty close to the novel except for the "I'm a misunderstood creature who just wants love"

the Lugosi movie despite is classic stature, is pretty far from the novel. For one, Johnathan Harker is hardly of the same importance, and Quincy is nowhere to be found. No Lucy either.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
The Coppola film is only close to the book in that all the characters and most of the major events are present but the treatment of the characters & the themes in the film aren't at all true to the source material.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:12:36 PM by C Belmont »

Lone Wolf

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:21:08 AM »
Not really. The Coppola one is actually pretty close to the novel except for the "I'm a misunderstood creature who just wants love"

the Lugosi movie despite is classic stature, is pretty far from the novel. For one, Johnathan Harker is hardly of the same importance, and Quincy is nowhere to be found. No Lucy either.

So what would you consider close enough to the novel, if not the novel itself? :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
So what would you consider close enough to the novel, if not the novel itself? :P

The BBC radio drama?

Lone Wolf

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
The BBC radio drama?

BBC drama? :/ I never heard of..

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:46 AM »
I got wind of it because of Tom Hiddleston.
Dracula - November 18 & 25, 2006

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
It could always be worse and be a rip off of TWILIGHT. It sucks!!! Vampires are made to be scary anymore. It's all dark love stories now. What ever happened to the truly dark evil monster who would slaughter everyone just because he felt like it and enjoyed doing so. The closest thing we have to that is Alucard in the Hellsing anime/manga. Now that is a vampire!!!!!!  I think that everyone who wants to make a vampire movie/tv show, should watch Hellsing Ultimate series and take notes to what Alucard does and how much he enjoys the carnage.  There is no emo, no love story. Just shear violence. If you are a man and you don't think that Alucard is a badass vampire, you might as well cut off your balls and go watch twilight with all the other pansies.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:21 AM »
Twilight and all the Twihards must be burned at the stake.
But that's the trend nowadays.
Wait a few more years and we'll see what happens to the vampire stories, hopefully, all the twilight wannabes are out of the picture.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
The 1931 Dracula was more like the stage plays that had been popular for decades. A good movie for it's time but very slow and tame by today's standards (you don't even see any fangs) and strayed pretty far from the original story in the name of saving time. Nosferatu was pretty faithful for a silent film that was pretending to be unrelated lol.

The trouble with doing a direct adaptation of the book is that Dracula himself is rarely in it after the opening chapters. But even when you get around this you come at the main problem with Coppola's and most other modern versions of the story/character. That being when the Dracula character is incredibly romanticized and what was basically a rape in the original book is turned into "an epic love story that spanned the ages". But this is a trend that has been going on since at least the 1970s. And perhaps it shouldn't be all that surprising, read Bela Lugosi's thoughts on why he got so many female fan letters sometime.

Tags:

anything