Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 457353 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #795 on: June 16, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
I'm thinking AOS Unes or Mudmen from SCV4, but they're most certainly not as universally hated as Fleamen, Ravens, and Medusa Heads.

Oh but you hate this one. Anyone who meets it learn to hate it.

And you all will grow to hate it even more. As the player character grows more versatile, so must the enemies. And this one became versatile exactly were it needed.

And I will say more: This specific enemy is not the only one gaining some upgrades.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:29:52 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
I would lose it if killing a Medusa Head helped create three more in its wake. ;_;

Offline DarkDiablo1995

• Hunter in Training
  • Novice Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #797 on: June 16, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »

And you all will grow to hate it even more. As the player character grows more versatile, so must the enemies. And this one became versatile exactly were it needed.

And I will say more: This specific enemy is not the only one gaining some upgrades.

If I hear that Death's inherent ability is scythe summoning instead of sickle summoning, I'd probably lose my head as soon as I walk into the room. I'm quickly imagining AoS's Death summoning copies of that double scythe instead of the usual sickles. Probably not that, though, so feel free to slap me silly for being paranoid if you'd like.
"Ignore a Morris at your own peril, pal. We're not Belmonts, but we can still make your plans go awry like it's no big deal."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #798 on: June 16, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
+1
If I hear that Death's inherent ability is scythe summoning instead of sickle summoning, I'd probably lose my head as soon as I walk into the room. I'm quickly imagining AoS's Death summoning copies of that double scythe instead of the usual sickles. Probably not that, though, so feel free to slap me silly for being paranoid if you'd like.

Oh no, it's not Death we're talking about.

But you can bet your pajamas Death is no walk in the park in here.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: June 16, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

Noooo! Please for the love of everything, not those Medusa heads. I beg of you.....

But you can bet your pajamas Death is no walk in the park in here.

Well, Death is a boss character, that seems to be an acceptable route to take.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #800 on: June 16, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
If Big D's bringing his A-game, Slightly-Less-Big D should too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:27:21 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #801 on: June 17, 2017, 12:38:46 AM »
Yup!

On a side note, when I was reading your statement after watching several Bloodstained videos, my mind interpreted the Ds as bust sizes.... oh boy.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #802 on: June 17, 2017, 04:29:53 AM »
Dig anyone say Big D?

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #803 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
Dig anyone say Big D?

O H N O

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to what this project is gonna turn out to be.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #804 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
In other news: Certain enemies are starting to adopt classic Mortal Kombat arcade bullshit AI. :v
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:40:14 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #805 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Why not SNK "I can read the controls" level of AI?

Take a doppleganger fight to new heights.  ;D

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #806 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
Dude, you have no idea how much bullshit the AI in the classic MK games pull. :v
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #807 on: June 17, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »
kintaro stomp

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #808 on: June 18, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »
Two questions after reading previous pages:

1. The events of 1897. It seems you guys are going with a Castlevania-ized take on the original Dracula novel. Can you tell us more about it ie how much it diverges from Bram Stoker's work? Or is that another story for another time?

2. Any plans for Blackmore? A 2 on 1 fight with him and HOD's Shadow would be so cash.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #809 on: June 18, 2017, 02:36:55 AM »
+1
1. The events of 1897. It seems you guys are going with a Castlevania-ized take on the original Dracula novel. Can you tell us more about it ie how much it diverges from Bram Stoker's work? Or is that another story for another time?

I have an outline for this story, but just so I could think up the timeline leading to 1999. The events of 1897 do not have such a huge importance that I'd need to tell that story first, but they do have a certain importance to details leading up to the conclusion of the 1999 story. This outline exists so I don't create inconsistencies within my own story's logic.

Think of this like Christopher Belmont: You didn't need to know what Christopher did or not when the first Castlevania was available. Christopher got mentioned in there and said to have his own legend, but this only serves to build Simon's and his whip's importance on this world. Or, better yet: Think of 1999 itself getting mentioned in Aria. You know something big happened, you know it affects Aria directly, but you don't need to see it to understand Aria -- you just need to understand what is it from 1999 that affects Aria.

The principle is very close to this here. You will see SPECIFIC events from 1897 get mentioned, but they are not needed to be known in absolute detail to know what is going on here.

Now, how much does it diverge... Well, the Bram Stoker's story themes were maintained e.g: there is a Quincy--obviously--, there is a Renfield, there is a Jonathan, there is a Van Helsing, there is a pursuit through Europe and a final battle at the feet of Dracula's Castle. But there's also a Lecarde, there's a witch, there's a magic whip and a magic spear, and many other elements from Castlevania (which include a crumbling castle that is not on the book, but WAS initially before being removed by Stoker). Some of these elements combined comprise the important subject surfacing on Umbra.

After researching for myself, I reached the conclusion Bram Stoker's novel cannot possibly be canon to Castlevania despite popular thinking, but its events CAN be adapted as headcanon as long as the Bram Stoker themes, not the details, are kept. To me, this appears to be what Toshiki Yamamura (and years later, IGA) wanted for the events preceding Bloodlines, by slightly mispelling Quincy's name (more than once, and something repeated by IGA), giving him a son when he shouldn't have one, and mentioning his connection with the Belmonts. And this is what I did to build this fan project.

2. Any plans for Blackmore? A 2 on 1 fight with him and HOD's Shadow would be so cash.

No plans for Blackmore.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:48:36 AM by theplottwist »

Tags: 1999 Awes