Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848546 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4590 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:22 AM »
While i agree with the above, i also have to say that N64 CV's, they were using an auto targeting system, that it's locking on the nearest enemy, but since most enemies they would die in 1-3 hits, you didn't have to worry about enemies getting around you.

Before i collect the hate from some people here, i have to say that i also didn't like the combat sytem of N64 CV's, but also i didn't find it that bad.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4591 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
+2
I look at the LoS subseries and observe that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Someone is gonna whine if everything is the same as what everyone seems to crave but offers nothing new but others will whine if it's something completely new and isn't reminiscent of old titles.

Although I do prefer LoS's storytelling more.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4592 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
+1
I prefer LoI system to LoS. At least it makes me feel I'm playing something different, not God of War. I know it's one of the best types of combats for 3D games... but I feel like Castlevania should do it's own thing.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4593 on: February 10, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
You know I hear that alot and it always makes me wonder, what could they have done with the battle system instead without being called a ripoff?

Should they just gone with the original plan to have the right stick controlling the whip and have the main face buttons used to switch between area and direct?

Or should they have gone with the free flowing combat style that's been seen in games like Arkham Asylum, Assasins Creed and Sleeping Dogs?

Or should they  have gone back to their Severance Blade of Darkness Days and lifted the battle system out of there, update it and called it a day?

Severance - Blade of Darkness Gameplay

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #4594 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
+1
I prefer LoI system to LoS. At least it makes me feel I'm playing something different, not God of War. I know it's one of the best types of combats for 3D games... but I feel like Castlevania should do it's own thing.

LoI's combat was also grossly repetitive, and varied in only the most minute ways. I get that might not mean much, seeing as Castlevania has never been known for having robust or complex combat, but when you turn a game into a beat-em up, I'd rather have good combat than original combat.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4595 on: February 10, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
I look at the LoS subseries and observe that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Someone is gonna whine if everything is the same as what everyone seems to crave but offers nothing new but others will whine if it's something completely new and isn't reminiscent of old titles.

I don't think it needs to be that extreme. I think they're only damned if they do the wrong things. The LoS sub-series is damned because it near totally shoved Castlevania aside for something else. That's bad enough, but especially when it isn't nearly as captivating as what the series was before it, in my opinion (and apparently the opinions of many others). As Dragonslayr said, innovation doesn't need to come at the cost of what was previously there. Symphony of the Night did not disrespectfully spit upon what came before it. Quite the opposite, really.

When DC Comics rebooted Superman in 1985, they didn't turn him into a black guy with a flat top who is somehow the son of Lex Luthor. Yeah, it would have been 'fresh' and 'different', but it wouldn't have been a good idea.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4596 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Except I'm pretty damn sure SoTN was still criticized for being "nothing like Castlevania" due to it's RPG "level up" mechanic, multi weapon based combat, and Metroidesque open world and power up progression. Also, the main character was a pretty boy vampire who looks like a girl, and nothing like the more traditional Vampire he was portrayed as in CV3 artwork.

Oh and a Belmont was the enemy.

LoS, despite it's pitfalls, goes back to Barbarianlike Protagonists, linear A to B progression, (a classicvania style map screen to boot) and does better in 3D than any of the previous 3Dvanias have before. Mainly in combat, whgich in a game where you traverse haunted environments as a monster killer, is the meat of the game. Like Uzo said. It actually made workable 3D combat. Say what you will about combos, but LoI was really repetitive with it's LACK of them, while maintaining a sort of beat em up combat and a flat lifeless 3D Dungeon Crawler map.

You know I hear that alot and it always makes me wonder, what could they have done with the battle system instead without being called a ripoff?

Should they just gone with the original plan to have the right stick controlling the whip and have the main face buttons used to switch between area and direct?

Or should they have gone with the free flowing combat style that's been seen in games like Arkham Asylum, Assasins Creed and Sleeping Dogs?

Or should they  have gone back to their Severance Blade of Darkness Days and lifted the battle system out of there, update it and called it a day?

Severance - Blade of Darkness Gameplay

This is another thing. What SHOULD they have done? For whip swinging combat, For a Belmont anyway, IMO, there's very little room for innovation without stepping into previously traveled territory.

EDIT: just for the record, for shits and giggles, both black Superman, AND "son of Luthor" Superman have existed. (The latter being particularly well done as a real fun plot twist at the end of the Graphic Novel)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:44:15 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4597 on: February 10, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
+1
Symphony of the Night did not disrespectfully spit upon what came before it. Quite the opposite, really.

ummm. Sorry I cannot read this part with a straight face  :-X

SOTN and all these games afterward till los did disrespect in their own way in some ways more so than los and it seems just so acceptable that it's disgusting.

First being making the main characters the belmonts non existent or secondary characters the last time a belmont got their own game was in 2003 iirc and that was Loi or Harmony of dissonance and that was it. I do not count julius because he was a secondary character  and Trevor himself probably had the worst sequel of all time(really not a worthy sequal to one of the best games of all time) >:(   

So yeah Sotn and the later games till LOS threw out the belmonts, the whip for the most part, forgot that platforming mattered, added a whole bunch of weapons (and I mean alot) that seemed to not really matter ( come on there is always that one weapon that is op that one sticks too or just switches when a more powerfull one comes along), and this is very subjective and my personal opinion a sense of forgetting what the series was before SOTN and I'm not sure if I can give justice to what I am trying explain but all what I hear now adays on different gaming sites and stuff is oh we want  a metroidvania again or something that one sees one to many times it is like anything before Sotn does not even matter or the belmonts.

I'm very glad that I was introduce into the series not by Sotn but by dracula's curse  :)

Heck at one point in time I remember someone typed down that Alucard was the series main character and that everyone wanted him back the heck :o That was corrected real quick.

Heck even IGA said they took out the whip because it was boring which I do not get because a whip can be very versatile weapon when needed to be much more so than a sword/spear/axe. There should be no reason to take out the whip.

Now while LoS is not perfect at least it bring the belmonts back into the spotlight which is something that most of the games up till now never did so as for which game disrespected more I would say Sotn and onwards till Los with the expection of Loi and HoD.

Personally that is all I wanted to play a belmont again that should not be too hard to ask but apparently it was for awhile and a new one at that remakes do not count  :P

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4598 on: February 10, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »
Belmonts aren't really required to make a Castlevania. They could invent new characters, always. The new character gave the series the variation it needed.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4599 on: February 10, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
+1
oh god here we go again  :rollseyes:

this endless debate is old, give it up guys it's 2013 sheesh

and for the record, i'm willing to bet in an alternate dimension the Bizarro-CVDungeon members are bitching about the IGAvanias having nothing but Belmont leads wielding nothing else but whips & they're repetitive & there being a "lack of variety" in main characters for the series because all we get are Belmonts over & over

i.e. nobody's happy (or can't stay happy)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4600 on: February 10, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
at least it bring the Belmont's back into the spotlight which is something that most of the games up till now never did
That's kind of debatable
All LOS has really done is make everybody a Belmont so that it just seems like the focus is back on them
In reality Dracula was in the spotlight for LOS1 and will be for LOS2, while MOF looks like an exception meant to win over unsatisfied fans.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4601 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
Technically the Belmonts have always been a focus to some extent.(PoR has the Whip Ritual, OoE has the Belmont Blood Relatives, LoS series has the surname, AoS and DoS had Julius, most games have a or the VK whip involved in some form)

I'd like to see a proficient Axe user though or rather one who specializes in axes as opposed to the "I wield all weapons" kind of thing.

Though I suppose Axe Armor is the best I'll ever get.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:25:30 PM by Akuma »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4602 on: February 10, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Why did we return to debating IGAvania vs Coxvania?
There is no need to do so. Each of those games have their good points and bad. We are here to accept variety and tolerate differences.
Plus in all aspects of our lives, we can never please everybody, cause if we do, then we would lose ourselves in the process.

So back to MoF, release the demo now... hehehe.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4603 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
So back to MoF, release the demo now... hehehe.

I'd like to know when we are getting this myself.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4604 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
I'll be a bit irritated if, once again, the demo comes out the same day as the game. We were promised the playable demo for the first Lords of Shadow before release, and it wasn't there until the day I had the game disc spinning in my Xbox. I'm still bitter about that, and the same promise has been made this time around.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Tags: .....?