Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS2 dev confesses the reality behind the making of LoS2  (Read 11626 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: LoS2 dev confesses the reality behind the making of LoS2
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
Not uncommon but depressing as crap to read.  Guess this means no more LoS save DLC, huh?

The DLC might not be coming from MS.
And LOS might continue under a different team if Konami decides to stick to that timeline.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
Not uncommon but depressing as crap to read.  Guess this means no more LoS save DLC, huh?

Konami supposedly expressed interest in continuing the LoS canon. If LoS2 doesn't bomb hard sales-wise, that interest may remain.

Hell, it may continue that way either way. LoS2 aside, LoS1 is still the highest selling Castlevania ever.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »
Konami supposedly expressed interest in continuing the LoS canon. If LoS2 doesn't bomb hard sales-wise, that interest may remain.

Hell, it may continue that way either way. LoS2 aside, LoS1 is still the highest selling Castlevania ever.

To be fair, LoS1 got a budget, something IGA never did. Furthermore, it got more marketing than I have ever seen the series get. It doesn't seem surprising to see something that had money pooled into it make money. IGA tried to make dinner out of table scraps, but MS was given cuisine to start with in comparison.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 01:48:11 AM »
+2
To be fair, LoS1 got a budget, something IGA never did. Furthermore, it got more marketing than I have ever seen the series get. It doesn't seem surprising to see something that had money pooled into it make money. IGA tried to make dinner out of table scraps, but MS was given cuisine to start with in comparison.

Until I see someone prove to me IGA got table scraps, I'm going to go with his own word that he got at least reasonable budgets.

Likewise, LoS was already said to be made on a small budget. Obviously handheld budgets are naturally going to be smaller than console ones, so a small 360/PS3 budget is going to be larger than a small DS budget, but I still think the money talk is largely irrelevant, especially considering that depending on how sales go, LoS2 may definitely prove that budget =/= sales.

LoS was a good game. It sold well because people liked it. I stand by what I said.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »
That's very sad. LoS2 could have been a really amazing game. It is good, but not perfect.

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:10 AM »

Wouldn't want it to if it mucks up the story MS laid down.  I suppose it would like that MGS. Raiden game but with Alucards.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
I would love a game that builds off of Gabriel Belmont being Dracula and just pretended LoS2 didn't exist. Mercury Steam fucked up their story all on their own and I'd love a redo that went somewhere else.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:36 AM »
Until I see someone prove to me IGA got table scraps, I'm going to go with his own word that he got at least reasonable budgets.

does harmony of despair count?

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Our good friend Alvarez's response:

https://twitter.com/Enric_Alvarez/status/439658992621875200

It's heartwarming to see how deeply he cares for his studio's developers.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »
I would love a game that builds off of Gabriel Belmont being Dracula and just pretended LoS2 didn't exist. Mercury Steam fucked up their story all on their own and I'd love a redo that went somewhere else.

Oh, please. Compared to Iga's games the LoS 2's story is like Shakespeare.

Offline Trevelyan

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
+1

Likewise, LoS was already said to be made on a small budget. Obviously handheld budgets are naturally going to be smaller than console ones, so a small 360/PS3 budget is going to be larger than a small DS budget, but I still think the money talk is largely irrelevant, especially considering that depending on how sales go, LoS2 may definitely prove that budget =/= sales.

LoS was a good game. It sold well because people liked it. I stand by what I said.

IIRC, LoS cost Konami less than Iga's games for two reasons:

Because the Japanese devs were paid higher for their work compared to those in Spain, and because Mercury Steam paid half the development cost themselves.

So it's less "if Iga had the budget", rather "if Iga had a team who'd work for half the cost and was still comprised of top class artists and programmers"

Manpower is probably the metric that would solve such an argument best.  Compare how many worked on each game, etc.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »
Our good friend Alvarez's response:

https://twitter.com/Enric_Alvarez/status/439658992621875200

It's heartwarming to see how deeply he cares for his studio's developers.

well to be fair, despite how controversial this all may seem, the bottom line is its all hearsay. we cant say for sure if what this guy says about Enric/MercurySteam 100% true, 50% exaggeration, etc. we just dont know.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
well to be fair, despite how controversial this all may seem, the bottom line is its all hearsay. we cant say for sure if what this guy says about Enric/MercurySteam 100% true, 50% exaggeration, etc. we just dont know.
Of course we don't know. But there still are far more considerate (and credible) ways to react to one of your own developers' complaints. What a world we live in, eh?
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
+1
I like how people on here tried to justify rats so hard and yet even MercurySteam was all 'this is fucking stupid'
The forced stealth segments were stupid. The idea of turning into a swarm of rats however, was not stupid, despite it's poor implementation.

I don't know why they couldn't just make it one of your subweapons. Turn into a pack of rats whenever. When you do, enemies lose their aggro on you, because they dont know where you went.

Instead of making it "you can only do it in these parts here"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
+1
Oh, please. Compared to Iga's games the LoS 2's story is like Shakespeare.
In no FUCKING WAY.

Tags: