Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Comic/Graphic Novel recommendations  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
I'm sure there's people on here who are collectors like myself, feel free to add some of yours.

One of the newer series I've picked up is Locke And Key. Really REALLY good book - coming into it's final stages at the moment - but very much worth picking up if you like dark fantasy/horror comics. The first arc opens with a trio of kids moving on with their lives after their father is murdered at their summer home, having to deal simultaneously with their grief, a new home with their uncle in Lovecraft, Massachusetts, a new school, and meeting new people. The new home is called Keyhouse - for reasons which will become clear as the story progresses. Written by Joe Hill, and art by Gabriel Rodriguez, this is one of the best things I've picked up in the last few months.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
I'm not much for comics/graphic novels usually, but if you are you have to read Watchmen.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:11:18 AM »
I am more of a manga person, so I can't help you.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
Manga - Berserk. Dark, depressing, horrifying and one of the best told tales I've ever seen in any medium. Definitely not for you if you're under 18 though.

Comics - Try Usagi Yojimbo if you're looking for something a little offbeat from the usual superhero fare. Bongo Comics' Futurama series (and to a lesser extent their Simpsons comics) were ok last time I looked at them a few years ago. Give'em a spin if you like the show(s).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:26:53 AM by Ratty »

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
The Ghostbusters series that IDW is putting out kicks all sorts of butt.  It's mostly movie based, but they throw in references from everything.  The Rookie from the videogame shows up for a bit, the various ghosts they've made toys of back in the back appear, they just recently finished a story arc that had Janoz from Ghostbusters 2 and the Peoplebusters from the cartoon series. 

It's just all sorts of fun. 

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »
I enjoyed reading The Wraith of Shannara. It's the only graphic novel of the entire saga that Terry Brooks wrote. The art style is done by a korean anime artist.

The Ghostbusters series that IDW is putting out kicks all sorts of butt.  It's mostly movie based, but they throw in references from everything.  The Rookie from the videogame shows up for a bit, the various ghosts they've made toys of back in the back appear, they just recently finished a story arc that had Janoz from Ghostbusters 2 and the Peoplebusters from the cartoon series.

It's just all sorts of fun. 

Where the hell can I find this!!? I want!!

By the way, nice sig chainsawmidget! Now that's a boss worthy of Castlevania!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:27:02 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
Frank Miller's Ronin is one of the bestest comicses of everzes. Every geek should read it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:07 PM »
The Ghostbusters wiki covers the comics. I didn't even know about the comics until I saw the Wiki and was like, "Who the hell are all these ghosts?" Then I read some of the descriptions and realized the wiki covered the movies, all the cartoons, the comics, AND the video games.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/catalog/book/445

OMG Luis Delgado is the colorist? I've heard of him!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:23:55 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything