Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 456245 times)

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #660 on: December 31, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
I think you got most of it. I understand why you would keep things close: you don't want people to get the idea of X boss and it turns it X is missing or something, but probably in more profound concepts and ideas. I was asking largely because this seems very ambitious, and I hope you or those involved don't try to try and aim for far more than what you can reasonably do. It would suck a lot if the project got hindered because of complications in that arena, as that what usually stops a lot of fan projects. I've seen in myself with a few projects I've been involved in.

That and I'm on the hype train of wanting to play it, of course. :3c

You also mentioned 2017. Outside of this obviously being where we'll be in hours, would this be the same window where you believe the development of it will pick up in high gear?

Oh, one more question! Shopkeepers: are they in? ;3
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:03:57 PM by Foffy »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #661 on: December 31, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
+1
I think you got most of it. I understand why you would keep things close: you don't want people to get the idea of X boss and it turns it X is missing or something, but probably in more profound concepts and ideas. I was asking largely because this seems very ambitious, and I hope you or those involved don't try to try and aim for far more than what you can reasonably do. It would suck a lot if the project got hindered because of complications in that arena, as that what usually stops a lot of fan projects. I've seen in myself with a few projects I've been involved in.

This is 1999 Demon Castle War we're talking about. The name alone makes fans shudder and refuse to see a game out of it for many reasons. One in special being that the expectations are so high that they fear that Konami themselves wouldn't live up to the hype -- what to say mere FANS can do it? There are some people who think I'm a complete idiot for even entertaining the idea of giving an interpretation for 1999, and I don't blame them at all. They have nothing more than some concept art and mountains of text to keep them updated.

However, we are confident that even if we don't live up to fans' expectations, we will do something good, because that's where we are putting our mind on, and not on "meeting expectations". If Konami can't meet their fans' expectations, we are not the ones who will promise that.

That's not to say we're not listening, though. We are. We have a couple of "conceptual secret weapons" up our sleeves to achieve the goal. Things that nobody on the entire Castlevania fanbase has realized yet about the 1999 event itself that we have. This may come as an arrogant/extraordinary statement considering how much fans have collectivelly nitpicked the series to death but, if you go some pages back, you'll notice how much research is being done on this, and I assure we have discovered things that we have not seen anyone even mention yet. I've got the support and trust of people who wouldn't even have given me anything but a scoff otherwise, thanks to these "conceptual secret weapons". Some people on this very forum are aware of what I'm talking about (The Bloody Aperture is one of these guys) and have agreed that I should make this information public ASAP, but I'm not doing it because this is what the 1999 hype is about.

Conceptually, we're aiming high, but on the mechanical side we're keeping it realistic. We don't have the time nor the power a big corporation has, but we know how to work things out creatively. We know what the player wants to see because we are also hardcore Castlevania players, and we are looking for the simplest ways to achieve it. We know that to pull off these concepts we don't need Universal Studios assets or funding. It's about doing it right, and not about doing it "grand".

These are also some of the reasons why we're taking so long to show things.

It will take long, we will hit roadblocks, but we're trying our darndest to predict and avoid these right now so, when we begin, things go smoothly.

You also mentioned 2017. Outside of this obviously being where we'll be in hours, would this be the same window where you believe the development of it will pick up in high gear?

Yes, it is. This past year I've spent gaining support and discussing concepts with the team members that have joined the project, beyond of course doing a lot of research and reaching out to people who have important info about the series. This year is when development begins and more tangible results are planned to be shown.

Oh, one more question! Shopkeepers: are they in? ;3

Yes. More than one. And one of them is a returning character in dire need for closure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:22:36 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #662 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:28 PM »
+1
1. We are in NO WAY underestimating what it takes to create a high-quality game. We have previous experience with game development and we know how hard it is. I may appear to be oversimplifying things, but I'm not. Under every single thing I mentioned here, an ENORMOUS amount of debate and thinking and testing happened.

There really aren't enough ways to describe the sheer reality of this. I've even thrown out the idea of doing parody animations or something of a few of the arguments we've gotten into along the way--some of them are simply so insane and stretched-out that we look back at get a laugh or two out of it.

We've all seen that tip-of-the-iceberg image, but let me provide a modified version to really illustrate what Plot means.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #663 on: December 31, 2016, 11:21:26 PM »
I think I've figured out the big secret PlotTwist is trying to hide:

(click to show/hide)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #664 on: December 31, 2016, 11:38:00 PM »
I think I've figured out the big secret PlotTwist is trying to hide:

(click to show/hide)

HA! Nice try, but nope.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:56:01 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #665 on: January 01, 2017, 01:07:34 AM »
I agree with the image D9 posted.
I know some things beneath the waves but not all of them. Mostly concerning the stuff that plot needs me to translate.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #666 on: January 01, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »
Secrets everywhere!

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #667 on: January 01, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
+1
Oh my Laura comment was just following up the "come before she does" joke but I'm glad she's in aswell.

-------------------------------------

I think i have said it before but this project is basically the only reason i check the forum. So i wish you luck guys :3

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #668 on: January 01, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
I know one of the items that are in it. Yay?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #669 on: January 02, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »
+1
Hello! Today, the post will be a bit negative. Nothing about the project ITSELF, it is doing fine. It'll be more about an specific criticism I found of my work that is not only unfair -- it is objectivelly incorrect. If you cannot take a bit of vitriol, please ignore.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:11:58 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #670 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
+1
If I can offer advice, don't talk anything sincerely on 4chan. It's a vacuum of hostility and anger. One could find something universally cherished and be guaranteed to find four users shit talking it. Worse still, standing up to it is very much like creating a balloon and handing out pins to others: they'll just come and poke further. Get advice (and criticism) from something resembling a static human being, not a number with a post. Those are the only people you'd be able to adequately feedback on your talents and vocation. If they have no name, don't play that game. :P

I must also say that your ability to really hit the "pulse" of the works you're reflecting shows a willingness to adapt to a "style," which may be why it was incorrectly asserted as sprite editing. They look like sprites I'd actually expect from Konami, and I mean that with utmost praise.

The concept sprites do have me wanting to ask a question in my mind as of late about the game: are there equippable items for the cast, or are they stuck with "static" weapons like Circle of the Moon or Dawn of Sorrow's Julius Mode? I'm super duper curious about what you guys have planned, and if I can be honest, I am probably more hype for this than most games already dated for the coming year. More interesting to me than even HITMAN, and I love that game. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:38:09 PM by Foffy »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #671 on: January 02, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »
Yeah bro, save yourself the headache and just don't post on 4Chan.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #672 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
I must also say that your ability to really hit the "pulse" of the works you're reflecting shows a willingness to adapt to a "style," which may be why it was incorrectly asserted as sprite editing. They look like sprites I'd actually expect from Konami, and I mean that with utmost praise.

Thank you, and I agree. Fightining anon is ultimatelly a futile cause. I just gave this guy much more voice than what he'd ever have, but I cannot allow a client of mine to locate this (believe me, they do) and challenge me on unfounded grounds. So here's a response if this ever happens.

The concept sprites do have me wanting to ask a question in my mind as of late about the game: are there equippable items for the cast, or are they stuck with "static" weapons like Circle of the Moon or Dawn of Sorrow's Julius Mode? I'm super duper curious about what you guys have planned, and if I can be honest, I am probably more hype for this than most games already dated for the coming year. More interesting to me than even HITMAN, and I love that game. ;)

I'm fairly certain we won't go back on this, so yes, the characters are stuck with their main weapons. This means that Julius cannot change the Vampire Killer, Lenora cannot change the Belnades Staff, etc.

However, either the characters have more than one weapon, or a different way to use it. If you check Alucard's concept art, you'll notice he's holding a card in one hand, and the spear on the other. The spear is his main weapon, while the card (Sword Card) is the secondary weapon. Julius, also, can use the VK in two different ways (which we dubbed Combat and Platforming modes). I can tell you more through PM, since here is still subject to change.

Plus, there are equips and accessories planned. Character specific equips, too (like in Portrait), and even items that do better with one character than with the other. About the weapons, expect equips that slightly changes their behavior, too.

Yeah bro, save yourself the headache and just don't post on 4Chan.

Thank you for the support, dude. AND you're also correct.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #673 on: January 02, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
Never ever go to 4chan.

And I love your sprites! :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #674 on: January 02, 2017, 11:06:33 PM »
If 4chan is really that bad, then why doesn't somebody out there in the netherworld of the internet do us a favour and crash the site. Cause it sounds like a haven of haters, trolls, and white knights.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything