Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What would *you* change about the CV Universe?  (Read 32370 times)

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
What would *you* change about the CV Universe?
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
I'm not speaking in terms of continuity, although that can apply, too. How would you re-shape the Castlevania mythos to your ideal vision? Not as in gameplay, but within the fictional elements themselves.

For me:

*Bring Dracula more in line with Stoker's novel. So make him fit the description, have the same powers, and the same weaknesses. Which means no death by sunlight. I hate that it has become so engrained into the character. Well, he's out during daytime in CV64 if its the right time. But I digress.

*Piggy-backing onto the first bullet, have the games add more to the elements of the novel. He has three vampiresses in his castle. Maybe they're characters within CV story that get turned?

*Get rid of Alucard. The name, not the character. It's corny. Just let him be Adrian Fahrenheit. No Tepes. It's a title, not a surname.

*Elaborate on Frakenstein('s monster). He's in so many of the games, usually in a lab setting, but there's never much in the way of fleshing out the character. Also, address the fact that the Monster is being created centuries before Mary Shelley's novel takes place. Maybe having Dracula's books of alchemy somehow end up in the hands of Victor Frankenstein. Don't know.

*Keep Trevor as the first Belmont.

*Quincey Morris kills Dracula once and for all. He's not a Belmont. His name is spelled correctly.

*Incorporate more traditional vampire remedies/killing methods.

*Do away with the 100 year resurrection gimmick.

*Let SCV4 be a sequel like it is in the West. Simon's story needs proper closure after CV2's ending.

*Let Dracula X be a sequel to Rondo as it gives the impression of being so.

*Explore the origins of other vampires and monsters, i.e., Carmilla, Mummies, Medusa, etc.

*Fix the name translations to their intentional references. Fernandez instead of Belnades, Ricardo instead of Lecarde, Orlock instead of Olrox.

*Bring back and explore the Tower of Colbert. Ever since I first read about it in the VK manual, I've been intrigued. Where is it? What's there? Is it the tower where you confront Dracula?

*Incorporate loyal gypsy slaves of Dracula as villains for the Belmonts to confront. 

*Alucard is a vampire, not a dhampir. Dracula gives his unborn child's body as payment for his own immortality. So Alucard is "born" undead. He has a conscience, he loves and wants to do right, but his darker impulses forever haunt him.

That's all I can think of off-hand. I'll probably add more later. Your thoughts?

P.S. Sorry if this thread already exists. I haven't found one. Redirect me, if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:48:33 PM by Kaneda »
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: What would *you* change about the CV Universe?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Interesting question...I'll have to give it some thought.  You make some good points, though I personally like "Alucard".  Maybe it is a little corny, but not so much that it can't be used.

Didn't someone (in another topic somewhere) say something about the name Alucard not being a Castlevania thing, but from the original story of Dracula?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
dracula would be vlad tepes, nobody else

sonia would be reinstated, somewhere

alucard grant & sypha would play a role in curse of darkness

curse of darkness would take place 3 weeks/months after cviii, not 3 years

more insight into the Belmont family, as well as dracula & lisa's relationship

portrait of ruin never happened

or, if it did happen, incorporate more "military-esque" vibe in the story. brauner would be replaced by hitler, since hitler too was an aspiring artist. hitler & the nazis, wanting to gain advantage over the allies, resurrects draculas castle. little known fact is that some of hitler's top officials were into the occult & mysticism

dawn of sorrow never happened

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
-Make Dracula Vlad Tepes, but still having a connection with the Belmonts (I really have no problem with him being Mathias, but I'd choose for him to be Vlad Tepes for it to coincide more with Bram Stoker).

-Make Vlad Tepes REALLY be more active into Lament of Innocence. Like, really more active as in "Vlad and Leon storm Water's castle together, but it ends up to be a trap set by Vlad himself". Have Vlad be playable.

-Reintroduce Sonia as the first human to face Dracula, but make her die, prompting Trevor to return to Wallachia and go after Dracula himself using the Vampire Killer.

-Reintroduce Haunted Castle's canon into the first Castlevania. Gameplay wise, make Simon travel the country before facing Dracula. (A Haunted Castle/Super Castlevania IV mix).

-Have Simon's revelation about the curse not be brought to him by a "mysterious woman ghost". Make him either notice this alone, introduce a new character or a ghost from a previous character.

-Harmony of Dissonance never happened.

-Richter fails against Dracula imediatelly, not after 6 years, prompting Alucard to come imediatelly. Have SotN be about Richter AND Alucard fighting inside the Castle, but having Alucard face Dracula at the end.

-Introduce Drolta Tzuentes clearly on Bloodlines. Have her be the second-to-last boss.

-I'd still keep Portrait of Ruin, but crisis' idea about Hitler is fucking awesome. Keep this Hitler plot.

-Dawn of Sorrow has Soma die, and a new Dark Lord arise. Have Julius and team deliver a third-age ass-kicking session.

-Have Circle of the Moon reintroduced. The Baldwin are a branch of the Belmonts, and their job is to keep Carmilla at bay using a Vampire Killer replica (The Hunter Whip), parallel to the Belmonts against Dracula. Sometimes, both could overlap. Nathan Graves could be the ancestor of the modern Morrises.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:04:28 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
Interesting question...I'll have to give it some thought.  You make some good points, though I personally like "Alucard".  Maybe it is a little corny, but not so much that it can't be used.

Didn't someone (in another topic somewhere) say something about the name Alucard not being a Castlevania thing, but from the original story of Dracula?

Yeah, "Alucard" comes from "Son of Dracula". If I'm not mistaken, it comes from a novel even before this movie. Konami has no grasps on anything.

Now, thinking about it, Konami has no grasp in almost nothing Castlevania-related! Most of the monsters are public-domain mythology. Dracula himself is not theirs. Many of the characters were based on real world personalities. Castlevania is a bunch of public-domain stuff strung together into an original IP :rollseyes:

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post! Forgot to click "Modify", and clicked "Reply" instead.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
Only thing I can think of is have the bad ending in DoS be the canon ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
I'd have individual games and their accompanying sequels occupy their own separate timelines, instead of having one great big chronology of, "Drac gets his ass kicked, crawls back to whatever hole he was resurrected from," time and time again. It makes Dracula out to be somewhat of a joke. If it was done this way, you'd lose the long lineage of Belmonts, which would kind of suck, but I digress.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:56:34 AM »
-Expand the universe to have more supernatural villains/main baddies than just Dracula. LoS was a start, but that basically just switched Belmont out with Dracula, and Dracula out with Satan.

-Locate some games in other parts of the world to switch it up.

-Do something else with Futurevania (Aria of Sorrow on). There's a cult right? Make them an actual threat. And an actual cult with some scary fucked up people. Have the world shit out some other groups of demons now that Dracula's out of the picture. I dunno.

-I have this idea that Dracula's castle was always fucked up, that the land it was built on was somehow cursed and a perpetual breeding ground for some kind of demonic nonsense, making it an ideal place for necromancers or bad dudes to meet even before there was any kind of settlement there. Some games that take place before Dracula or Walter would be nifty.

-I'd like a game that reuses the dash mechanic from HoD, provided the enemies are just as agile or smart enough to give you a bad time regardless.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:58:31 AM by Munchy »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:37:21 AM »
I would have CV1, 2, and 3 be its own self-contained trilogy as originally intended by Akamatsu and the other staff. Ralph/Christopher defeats Dracula for the first time and Simon seals him away forever 107 years later. That would require a few holes to be filled up in the IGA canon, which creates a perfect opportunity to come up with new games that actually fit.

Aside from that, I wouldn't change much about the IGAverse itself. Better gender diversity (which is non-existent, hah!) within the Belmont Clan would be nice.

Offline SiFi270

• The Red Cyclone
  • Hunter in Training
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2209069/SiFi270
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:14:55 AM »
I'd retcon things around so that the adventure mentioned in Circle of the Moon's backstory was actually Order of Ecclesia. Shanoa would have been Nathan's mother, and both Morris and Nathan's father would be among the villagers with ties to the Belmonts.
Pfft. Like anything's ever going here

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
I would have CV1, 2, and 3 be its own self-contained trilogy as originally intended by Akamatsu and the other staff. Ralph/Christopher defeats Dracula for the first time and Simon seals him away forever 107 years later.

I'd never heard about that before. Point of reference?
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
I would change everything after Rondo of Blood.

SOTN would be released without Castlevania in the title and would be it's own timeline. Like Kid Dracula was. IGA would be in charge of these metriod-like games starring Alucard, the son of Dracula.

In place of SOTN, we would be given Castlevania 5 on the playstation that would be an open world game like Simon's Quest (not like metriod) based on the Super Castlevania 4 engine. The game would be made by the same team behind SCV4. In short, Masahiro Ueno and Kazumi Kitaue would be the dominant driving force behind Castlevania for a time, not IGA.

I think if the series would have been set on that path, everything that followed would have been better than what we got.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Yeah, "Alucard" comes from "Son of Dracula". If I'm not mistaken, it comes from a novel even before this movie. Konami has no grasps on anything.

The idea of a vampire using an anagram of their original name for a new identity most likely originated from Carmilla. She does does it several times throughout the story. It's possible that the screenwriter for Son of Dracula was aware of that novel being an influence on Stoker's own work and made use of a few ideas.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline Qwertyvania

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
These aren't exactly changes, but things that could be expanded on

The period before Trevor in which the Belmonts had been banished

Maybe some new Belmont that had gone to North America around the time of the pilgrims. There could be a vampire or monster of some sort there, and it could give more of a story connecting the Belmonts and the Morris' (is that Morris in plural? :P)

More of a story around the vampire killer being given to the Morris', as well as the Belmonts reclaiming the whip.

The Demon Castle War

Maybe something happens in 2094 when the vampire killer becomes 1,000 years old

Tags: