Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I Critique the Perfect Game  (Read 33544 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
I actually thought Dawn's castle was bigger than SoTN, to its detriment. PoR probably has more space with all of its areas combined, OoE too.

I mean, SoTN is big if you take in account the Inverted Castle, but on its own, it's at an optimal size I think. The Marble Gallery and Outer Walls aren't that big and yet act as sort of main hubs for the rest of the castle's connections and flows greatly because of how it's not extremely huge. Any of the excess isn't required to run through most of the time. For example, you don't even have to explore beyond the second floor of the coliseum to get the needed relic.

SoTN also had the least copying and pasting so that helps too.

Offline JiPrime

• A Passing-by CV fan ;)
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: I Critique the Perfect Game
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
The one major issue with the game was that the distribution of teleports and save points weren't uniform.

And there were way too few teleports and too many long corridors.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »
All other Metroidvanias were great, but people didn't consider them as mythic as SotN and said they were just SotN rip-offs.

I don't think many people would agree with you on this. A lot of people (myself included) hate PoR, and I personally think OoE is pretty mediocre. The only ones that were "great" in my opinion were SotN and AoS. The others were generally good, but there was a lot to love about SotN.

I actually thought Dawn's castle was bigger than SoTN, to its detriment. PoR probably has more space with all of its areas combined, OoE too.

I agree with this. It doesn't matter how big the castle is if you can't fill it with enough interesting stuff. The attention to detail in SotN was what made it great.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:06:24 PM by Harrycombs »
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
I personally liked Aria's castle a lot more than Dawn's and Portrait's too, and it's the smallest out of the bunch.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
One thing that disappointed me in SotN was the battle with Dracula. It was so impersonal. It should have been an epic battle between father and son. Instead we get a battle where Dracula sits on his throne the whole time, summoning up his minions. He even calls it "his true form." Wtf?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:50:33 PM by Thomas Belmont »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
One thing that disappointed me in SotN was the battle with Dracula. It was so impersonal. It should have been an epic battle between father and son. Instead we get a battle where Dracula sits on his throne the whole time, summoning up his minions. He even calls it "his true form." Wtf?

I agree. SCV4's Dracula battle was way more epic then SotN's.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: