Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: La Mulana, re-ported from Wii and remade on PC...  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Re: La Mulana, re-ported from Wii and remade on PC...
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »
No doubt it's a legal issue. "MSX" is sure to be trademarked, doesn't make the game any less of a tribute, just less likely to be the victim of greedy rights holders.
Yeah, that's the reason.

Actually, the name is Mobile Super-X... MS-X. :P

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
Yeah, that's the reason.

Actually, the name is Mobile Super-X... MS-X. :P

Good, cause Super Mobile-X (SM-X) would be lame in comparison to the original. However, it should probably be mentioned that MSX computers basically have no official wording associated with the initials. Silly as it sounds, no one involved with the creation of the MSX standard that has been been queried remembers what it's supposed to stand for. The whole thing is kinda silly anyway given that the MSX standard was abandoned long ago.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
I've gotten a ways farther into this game finally, and I can say there is one thing in it that I think would have helped to make the metroidvanias to avoid some of the monotony involved in traipsing back and forth through the castle. A warp triggering item. The Holy Grail in La-Mulana is by far the best item I've acquired so far. Being able to simply warp to any save point pretty much cuts mindless repetition to a minimum and allow me to enjoy more of the game in a shorter time. Good lord, if I had to walk back to the village just from some of the farther reaching areas it'd take forever. Not to mention that I'd likely end up dead before reaching home base anyway. And the "experience" system is a good alternative to healing fonts or heath power'ups.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 05:43:25 AM »
So, now, FINALLY, Steam have deigned to have La Mulana Greenlit. YES! Now I can finally get it without having to resort to ..... other methods. Very happy about this. Now if only Derek Yu would get around to porting Spelunky XBLA to PC....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:47:23 AM by Nail_Bombed »
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Tags:

anything