Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula is Pathetic **spoilers**  (Read 42554 times)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
if you want a real emo, look no further than portrait. :o

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
Re: Dracula is Pathetic **spoilers**
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »
+1
In Reply To #90

...long hair is emo? Hot damn, I didn't know old-school Simon and Christopher were emos!

I've yet to see a Castlevania character with the emo haircut as seen here.

Oh wait, there was one. The 'manly' Judgment Simon.

The Belmonts aren't medieval warriors, no more than Bill Rizer is a Vietnam war veteran or Solid Snake is a resistance member from a post-apocalyptic future. Simon's garb was based off Conan, which was...prehistorical. I love the old-school Simon, but his design died out when video games shed having to rip-off films of the time. Bill Rizer is decked out in futuristic space marine armor; Snake has the sneaking suit; Simon has gothic wear.
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »
In Reply To #92

I'm not saying they should go back to the Conan clone look.  But they can make him look different from Conan and unique without the femininity and flamboyance that you see in the Judgment and Chronicles designs.  I just wouldn't mind seeing a design that actually looks something like what a warrior from the 1600's would look like.

And just one more quick thing: in the original Castlevania, wasn't Simon's hair and outfit brown, not red?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
That picture reminds me of Judgment Simon.

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »
Enough with this emo shit. People overuse the word emo so much it's losing its meaning, and generally everything that points to someone being a pretty boy is now emo. If a guy is slightly femenine he's emo. If his hair is slightly longer than the general length, he's emo. I'm not fond of the general, typical emo look myself, but at least I'm staying true to what really IS the emo look. I've never encountered anyone in the Castlevania series looking emo. Femenine, yes. Gothic, yes, but never emo. An emo is a variant of punk rocker, and Castlevania isn't very ''punkish'' to me.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2009, 08:01:23 AM »
In Reply To #72

To add to what uzo said...

Note: CV1 Simon's tunic is circled twice due to the tie-up-from-the-middle.

Yeah I noticed that and uzo don't be stereotypical man. I've just started going to medschool to be an assistant surgeon. Judging somebodies entire aptitude based off of one observation. Man that's trolling right there. But like I said before, I think it's more of a case of being similar by coincidence because those elements are necessary for the time period.

In Reply To #77

People call him girly because thats what the art style depicts him as.  He is purposely drawn to appear androgynous and also to appear as a youthful teen.  That is the style that is popular in Japan, so I understand why they use it.  Nothing wrong with it, thats just the art style the series uses now.  But whether you like one design or the other, it is clear that the "Conan-Simon" has more masculine features than the other design.

exactly.

Face it, Swapper, Chronicles simon looks like his outfit was designed for a woman. Juste and Leon might not look the most masculine, but at least they dress manly while Simon wears the trannie boa and hooker boots.

I agree, if I was a newcomber to the series I'd think that simon was a chick.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:08:38 AM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
"They're the same damn boots as CV1 Simon but with heels."

I don't really agree with that either.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:55:23 AM by justin312 »

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »

I don't understand how people could possibly misstake Chronicles Simon for a girl. It's not the face or hair that defines the gender - it's the body. Does his body look femenine? Not really. He's broadbacked and pretty hunky. Only a blind moron would misstake him for a girl.

Even if Chronicles Simon has furry ''hooker boots'', Conan Simon has an armor plate covering his balls and a bandana looking like a tiara. If you look closey, you can find something gay about pretty much anything ;)

Offline Battler Ushiromiya

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Better than Phoenix Wright.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
The "Armor plate covering his balls" is part of that style of armor. EVen the original Conan had armor like that. It's there to protect against castration. Nothing really gay about that.

As for the tiera, that is a little gay. However, Marth (Fire Emblem) has a Tiera, and we know for a fact he isn't gay (If anything, he's got a sister complex).
_______________________________________ ___________

Magically immune, and loving it!

Offline paletteswapmonster

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
I think it's more of a case of being similar by coincidence because those elements are necessary for the time period.
What?! Coincidence?! How? They're the same character. Do you have common sense? It's a faithful redesign. Also note that Kojima isn't good at giving characters clothes that fit in the time period.

I don't understand how people could possibly misstake Chronicles Simon for a girl. It's not the face or hair that defines the gender - it's the body. Does his body look femenine? Not really. He's broadbacked and pretty hunky. Only a blind moron would misstake him for a girl.

Also, if you're going to call Chronicles Simon gay or something(which is a silly thing to call him anyway), please note that CV1 Simon shows more skin. ;) :P

The only feminine things about Chronicles Simon are his face, and only his nose and chin are "feminine".

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
In Reply To #100

And the hooker boots. Don't forget the hooker boots.

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
In Reply To #101

::) ::) ::)

They aren't hooker boots.

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
In Reply To #102

Oh yeah, those finished pointy-toed high-heeled fur-lined boots arn't hooker boots. And Jonathan Morris doesn't have Emo bangs.  ::)

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
In Reply To #103

You sure are stereotypical.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »
Moving on to another similarity, the fact that both Simons have a bare right shoulder.

The Conan-Simon is wearing a breastplate with left shoulder pauldron, which is appropriate armor for the time period.  The right pauldron is missing, however.  We can assume this is because it was lost or damaged in battle, or Simon in acquiring armor for his adventure wasn't able to get a breastplate with both shoulder pauldrons intact.

The Chronicles-Simon is not wearing a breastplate with shoulder pauldrons, but instead he is wearing some kind of apparel with a fur (feathers?) covering of the left shoulder, and that attaches at the collar of his neck in a stylish buckle.  The right shoulder is left bare, not because a piece of the armor is missing, as is the case with Conan-Simon, but instead its because that's what the outfit is designed to look like.  We can only assume that the fashion designer responsible for Chronicles-Simon's outfit left that spot bare intentionally, because Simon's right shoulder is just too damn sexy to be hidden from the world.

Tags:

anything