Poll

What game in the Castlevania franchise is the worst?

Castlevania
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest
3 (2.7%)
The Castlevania Adventure
17 (15.3%)
Dracula's Curse
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
1 (0.9%)
Belmont's Revenge
1 (0.9%)
Rondo of Blood
1 (0.9%)
Bloodlines
0 (0%)
Dracula X
1 (0.9%)
Symphony of the Night
5 (4.5%)
Legends
11 (9.9%)
Castlevania 64
14 (12.6%)
Legacy of Darkness
3 (2.7%)
Chronicles
0 (0%)
Circle of the Moon
4 (3.6%)
Harmony of Dissonance
5 (4.5%)
Aria of Sorrow
0 (0%)
Lament of Innocence
3 (2.7%)
Dawn of Sorrow
2 (1.8%)
Curse of Darkness
19 (17.1%)
Portrait of Ruin
4 (3.6%)
Dracula X Rondo of Blood Remake
2 (1.8%)
Order of Ecclesia
3 (2.7%)
The Adventure Rebirth
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows
12 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst Game in Series  (Read 52411 times)

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Worst Game in Series
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
Well, I don't really think it was just the challenge that made CV1 great. It really does have impeccable level design that hasn't been replicated in any of the later titles. I thought Bloodlines was still fun with all the gimmicks in its level design. I thought it was surprisingly individualistic and charming.

Charming....perfect way to put it.

Platforming got lost somehow with Simon's Quest.  I thought CVIII did it rather well though.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
Mm, with CVIII, I thought it suffered from trying to scale everything in CVI up. There were a lot of places where it dragged too, especially the whole block melting part. I thought there was a lot of superficial structures and some flat expanses in its first level too.

Offline Vatican29

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »
Mm, with CVIII, I thought it suffered from trying to scale everything in CVI up. There were a lot of places where it dragged too, especially the whole block melting part. I thought there was a lot of superficial structures and some flat expanses in its first level too.

I suppose you're right....

In some areas it was far too much.  The Demon Seed route with Alucard as your partner (possibly) had too many moving platforms for no reason....still one of my favs forever, though. 

Offline Amos

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Simon's Quest And Harmony of Dissonance.

HoD I only liked for the one song that made me stay in that part of the castle for hours. It also gave me a taste of what the retro games were like (it looks old as opposed to Circle of the Moon which was released before it.) It had a lame story over all.

Simon's Quest since i watch AVGN's review there's no way i'd waste time playing that.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2010, 05:40:47 AM »
Simon's Quest since i watch AVGN's review there's no way i'd waste time playing that.
Don't believe reviews. Think with your own head.

There is only one way to determine is the game good or not - to play it.
Judging game by videos, especially like AVGN ones, who creates them for the comedy purposes, are bad idea.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2010, 07:30:47 AM »

If you haven't even played Simon's Quest you can't say it's the worst in the series, at least not if you wanna be taken somewhat seriously within these forums. It defies all logic and common sense.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

You are aware that the AVGN actually LOVES Castlevania 2, right? His reviews are comedy. Not to be taken entirely seriously.

It's one of my favorite 'Vanias.

I chose Castlevania Adventure. Belmont's Revenge is a whole other beast, but the first Adventure game is annoyingly difficult because Christopher is the slowest Belmont of all time. He's really sluggish at jumping too. The game isn't so bad after you use the hack to speed him up and emulate it, but the original game is rather disappointing in my opinion.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I chose Castlevania Adventure.

Adventure is definitely one the weakest entries in the series, if not the weakest.. but it's also the game I always wanted to see remade, just because there's so much wasted potential in there. The music and some of the level design is actually very good IMO. Adventure Rebirth was not how I pictured a remake though... I would say a proper Adventure remake is out of the question now. A damn shame...

Offline csgx1

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2010, 03:29:25 AM »
I just played through and beat all 3 original gameboy Castlevanias for the first time.  To me, Castlevania Legends is a huge let down and has got to be the worst game. >:(  The background graphics are horrible.  What up with the annoying bats and flying lizards that fly through walls?...and enemies re-appear instantly too?  Not fun, just annoying.  Also no creativity what so ever for a game that was release in 1997, the same time as SOTN.  I think Castlevania Adventure is even a better game then Legends and that game has serious flaws. 

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
The worst game in this series by a long shot is Timecop for the SNES.

Tags:

anything