Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Shadow of The Colossus  (Read 17652 times)

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
Shadow of The Colossus
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
Well, i bought it a few days ago...bc every1 was like "OMG DOOD YOU MUST HAVE IT'S THE BEST PS2 GAME EVAR" and there i go expecting some GoW alike game...and what i see? some prince of persia for the ps2 (the old ones rock) with a texture of a N64....story? bleh....cliche too much...i didn't like it at all...too slow for me...

Who else finds this game waaaayy overrated?

Drac's army of zombie-trannie-weirdos

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
Dude seriously?

I found that game to be uber awesome. Unique execution and wonderfully designed world/bosses. I'm so glad that it doesn't resemble GoW one bit.

Anywho, since you don't like it, I doubt you'll like Last Guardian or Ico.

And... I don't think I found one thing that I hated about that game. I mean, better graphics would be nice but other than that, i felt it was extremely well done.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
I liked it too. I thought it was great and a very nice original idea for a game. I still havent got to play Ico tho. I can never find a copy or never think to look and all the isos Ive tried wont work on my modded ps2 or the emu

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
Prince of Persia? N64 textures? ...What?

Overrated? It's one of the most unique and fun games of the last decade, which I can also say for Ico. They're also two of the most graphically interesting (that is, with a lot of style), and games with a whole lot of atmosphere.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
I liked Ico but didn't get totally behind it.  Shadow of the Colossus, however, is one of the finest games ever created...in my opinion.  The story is so incredibly moving, and it's terribly interesting how they twist the idea of killing these giant monsters into something you deeply regret doing, and something that turns out to be a horrible crime in the end.  Plus it's absolutely gorgeous to look at.  You have to keep in mind that the game is on an enormous scale for the PS2.  Sure, it wouldn't be all that surprising with today's technology, but it was so breathtaking when it came out.  God of War is on a grand scale too, and there's more texture variety, but everything is scripted in terms of your environments.  Shadow of the Colossus is on an equally large scale (if not larger), but you can go wherever you want and look at whatever you want, whenever you want to.

God of War's linear layout and fixed camera angles make it seem more like the creators are saying, "Okay, right now we want you to see this awesome vista and then you're going to round this corner and we'll show you the next one."  It's a great series, but I find Shadow of the Colossus's world more believable and more engaging, because everything is there for you to explore, and nothing is scripted.

SotC is also a very artsy game.  If you're one of those games-aren't-art people, and you like your games chock full of action with no downtime in between setpieces, there's very little chance you'll like it.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Shadow of The Colossus
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »
Well, i bought it a few days ago...bc every1 was like "OMG DOOD YOU MUST HAVE IT'S THE BEST PS2 GAME EVAR" and there i go expecting some GoW alike game...and what i see? some prince of persia for the ps2 (the old ones rock) with a texture of a N64....story? bleh....cliche too much...i didn't like it at all...too slow for me...

Who else finds this game waaaayy overrated?

What the hell? You might as give up gaming right now and just stick to watching NASCAR and Wrestlemania. It's clearly not for you.

SotC is a jaw-droppingly atmospheric, unique, and exceptional game. Overrated my foot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:38:37 AM by corneliab »

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:21 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5PiHNDw-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUZuC7MFnT0

this is what i meant...i dont like the idea of the controls....and the slowness...it seens it might do the wrong thing anytime....but hey guys don't get me wrong i'm just playing it first time, lemme see some more of the story....who knows, i might change my idea like everyone else seens to love this game so much....and yes, i'm an action gamer here GoW, RE4, SF, etc, are some of my favorite games for the ps2 but i also play and love rpg's...who knows me at #cv knows that, but i'm more an action gamer myself.

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:16:25 AM »
This game is more of a puzzle than an action game.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
I hope my post didn't spoil anything.  I was under the impression you had finished the game, since you said you didn't like the story.  How far in have you played?

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
just after "killling" the first colossus...

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
You really shouldn't compare it to other action game when playing. SoTC is a game that tries to swing it in its own way. Instead of action, it's like what the others said: relying more so on puzzles and atmosphere.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
I think you're coming in with the wrong idea here. Like Kale said, it's a puzzle/exploration game with action-based moments, not an action game. (It's like a game based on hyper-advanced Zelda bosses that Zelda should take notes on). The controls do definitely take some getting used to (though GoW used similar control elements as far as climb-jumping), but work well.

SotC really is an art and concept game much more than a mainstream gamer's game. The quality and use of the music (by the amazing Ko Otani), the scope of the world, and the mystery of how to take out the various daunting, creative Collosi is what makes the game special. The freedom of control and virtual space during many of the encounters is mind-blowing and has not been repeated thus far in video game history. It's the stuff you say to yourself--"they're not really going to be able to make me do that, are they?" The first Collosus is just a warm-up. The game is a visual feast for the system in a "moving painting" sort of way, whereas GoW is more in the vein of high-rez digital claymation. Technically, it's tons less "on-rails" than GoW, using 3D space to its fullest. The story of SotC, without spoiling anything, is quite haunting.

Still, there are inherent shortcomings... Navigating the world, as impressive as it is, can be a tedious pain. One wishes there had been a few things to do in-between the fights, or leading up to them. Despite the intrigue of wanting to go forward, this isn't a game where you can play too many battles in a row in one sitting without getting tired out. The horse was made intentionally hard to control to be realistic, but that can be annoying, as well. Also, some of the Collosi are not as impressive as others. There's also not a lot of replay value.

But keep playing. At least get through about 5 or 6 Collosi before you make a final decision.

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
thx for the input, i'll take your advice!

;)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Yeah, if you've only played the first Colossus, that's like playing the intro to SotN and then giving up as soon as you see Alucard because you just don't see what all the hype is about.  People don't love SotC's story because the idea of a dude facing danger to save a chick is so brilliant.  There's more coming, some nice emotional twists as you play through the game.

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »
killed the second....nothing happened... :|

Tags: