Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: And now for something completely inconsequential to existing CV canon  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
ALL I KNOW IS I WISH AKIHIRO YAMADA HAD DONE ARTWORK FOR MORE CASTLEVANIA GAMES.

Imagine if the cutscenes in Rondo had been based on this guy's art. That would have been amazing. Too bad the intro to Dracula XX doesn't really represent his style well...

I just bought an art book of this guy's stuff and I'm relishing it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I'LL AGREE WITH THAT.
BROFIST.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
*bump*
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Also, I wanna argue that Shanoa's deeds were still heroic and that she didn't fail because the heroic value of her deeds don't suddenly diminish just because no one knew about. And I actually prefer that she couldn't save everyone instead of pulling out some Mary Sue trick but nagger.

THIS

Her story being a kill them all made things much more interesting than "We saved the day! Everyone is alright!"

I guess its also sexist that the Belmonts and their deeds were forgotten between Lament and CV3, OH WAIT.

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I'm going to have to go with thernz on this one; Shanoa did not fail because she was forgotten. She still managed to lay waste to the castle, thus ensuring for another century of peace, so saying that she is erased from history is pretty much moot. A slayer of Dracula is still a slayer of Dracula.

Besides, Shanoa broke away from Ecclesia, which was an organization founded upon evil intentions, and she was more than ready to dispose of Barlowe when she found out what his aim was. Sweeping Ecclesia under the rug didn't necessarily take Shanoa's heroisms with it.
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Sonia's a woman who's just there to say "See? We made a game with a woman in it!"

No... she's really not.  At the time it was released, the point of Legends was to establish the entire Belmont bloodline.  That's a pretty big deal in Castlevania canon.

OoE revolves around the idea of people trying to use "Dominus," a gimmick that has no direct bearing anywhere else in the Castlevania timeline before or after OoE.

A slayer of Dracula is still a slayer of Dracula.

Except people need to know you slayed Dracula for it to mean anything historically speaking.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:13:29 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
No... she's really not.  At the time it was released, the point of Legends was to establish the entire Belmont bloodline.  That's a pretty big deal in Castlevania canon.

But she isn't canon, and her story was really messy and ugly.
OoE revolves around the idea of people trying to use "Dominus," a gimmick that has no direct bearing anywhere else in the Castlevania timeline before or after OoE.

Yea..... it's weird.... but so is the whole parts of Dracula thing like in Simon's game or SotN.

Except people need to know you slayed Dracula for it to mean anything historically speaking.

True... but the players know. Good enough for me.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
THIS

Her story being a kill them all made things much more interesting than "We saved the day! Everyone is alright!"

I guess its also sexist that the Belmonts and their deeds were forgotten between Lament and CV3, OH WAIT.

I always found the idea a little romantically bitter sweet, the world was saved but no one will known. That doesn't change the fact that a great deed was done. To quote Blade Runner. "All these moments lost in time... like tears in rain"
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)

You are correct, historically and chronologically speaking. Yet, it's plausible to look at OoE as a more "personal" endeavor - a chronicle of a forgotten heroine, a lapse in the Belmont line filled in by whoever felt the need to fill it (case in point, Shanoa) and how they did so. Forgotten or no, CV heroes have always undertaken a difficult task in slaying Dracula and I appreciate being given a chance to "see it their way" and live their deeds before they fade away. That's how I think of it, more like a glimpse into the journey of a young woman who breaks away from what she has always known to destroy evil, remembered or not.

I have never played Castlevania Legends so I cannot comment on Sonia's role in the series. It isn't a part of the official canon though, but I don't know if the canon could be subjective to the player or not.
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Gist of the story is that she did it with Alucard (though I think it was implied, not explicit) and she beat Alucard and Dracula. What makes it impossible to canon, unless you choose to ignore certain parts of CV3 is that Trevor was the first to defeat Dracula. And that all the Belmonts are now Quarter Vampires.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
I demand a DXC mod that puts Maria back in her proper skirts! =P
"Stuff and things."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Yeah but then again it was also riding on the back of SoTN. It really looks like they slammed together a bunch of "big deals."
"Psst psst. Alucard is in this game! And so is the FIRST woman Belmont! And it's the start of the Belmont bloodline!"
But then the storytelling in the game fell extremely short. It was just so vague and failed to explain anything. So it's an even better example of flaunting "See? We made a game with a woman in it!"
Not to hate on the Game Boy or anything, but just... w-why would they create the beginning of the series on a handheld in the first place?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:52:59 PM by thernz »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
You know, I should point out that Legends was merely establishing the orgin story of Dracula versus the Belmont Clan and not the family's history. Hell, even Lament didn't do that. The Japanese storyline, unlike the American, one never claimed that she was the actual first only the first Belmont warrior who was a dudette. Dracula's orgin was already explained in Castlevania III (the manual of Akumajou Densetsu) and Symphony of the night, so in that aspect the game didn't really fell short since there was nothing that needed any more explaining, though some kind off recap would have been nice.

And that all the Belmonts are now Quarter Vampires.

Even if Trevor would have had vampiric blood he is still a Belmont, the only ones who can carry the whip without consequences. He would be its rightful wielder and enemy at the same time. It can't be said how the whip would react since it comes down what the story writers make of it if something like that would ever occur, not your own personal view on the situation.     

Don't get me wrong here, I hate SoniaxAlucard and the whole thing is deemed impossible by Castlevania Judgment but it was merely hinted upon so whatever. Not that this all really matters since Legends is an AU story according to IGA. I kind off like that idea.                       
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:28:52 AM by Nagumo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

And yet he made a game starring a female protagonist. What the hell is wrong with you?

Shanoa isn't a Belmont. That's what's wrong.  :'(

-X

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Technically, yes, but it is implied that she inherits at least a small portion of the power in the Belmont bloodline through her absorption of the Torpor Glyphs they were imprisoned in.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: