Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: And now for something completely inconsequential to existing CV canon  (Read 12029 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
No, this isn't another Lord of Shadows thread.  

(DOHOHOHOHOHOHO.)

But seriously, I've been thinking about something.  If Ayami Kojima had been asked to make DXC Maria's design closer to her original RoB appearance and less like a beautiful little boy, how do you think it would have turned out?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
It would have turned out fine i guess.

Her design doesn't really bother me.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
It would have turned out fine i guess.

Her design doesn't really bother me.

Same here. It's mainly her awful, awful voice that bothers me.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Her English voice kind of amuses me.

"Yay!"

Anyway, I like her DXC design, and I love Kojima's artwork for the game. It's the first time she really broke away from her standard way of drawing. It's nice to have a lead character who doesn't have the same face, hair, and expression as Alucard. (Simon, Juste, Soma... It's the same head.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:32:51 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
I love how she made the DXC artwork..it`s perfect and I wouldn`t change anything. I hope she will be back on a future CV game. Miss her..

Offline narkolepsi

• sha na na
  • Vampire Hunter
  • it's been awhile hasn't it
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • top zel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
DXC's artwork was beautiful, and Maria's design is just fine to me. She looks naïve and innocent, like a little doll. The design reflects her youth and energy; I think it's great and I really don't see much that needs to be changed.
with love and squalor, narkolepsi - back to the lab again!
tumblr

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
DXC's artwork was beautiful, and Maria's design is just fine to me. She looks naïve and innocent, like a little doll. The design reflects her youth and energy; I think it's great and I really don't see much that needs to be changed.

Agreeing here.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
It would have turned out just as good as her design for DXC. Never found anything wrong it honestly: It was meant to be closer to her SOTN look, just without all the 'sex appeal' considering she's a little girl. It works.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I....... wasn't a fan. But I wasn't a fan of her old look either.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
It was meant to be closer to her SOTN look

huh?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:27:00 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Bad Wolf

• Born of the Time Vortex
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am returned from centuries slept
    • Awards
Buh-da-da-dum buh-da-da-dum buh-da-da-dum dum dum!

oo oo ooooo oooo-ooooo!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I have no trouble with her outfit but her hair couldv'e been left untied. And the only real detail that bothers me is IGA's change of her script when you rescue her; "we were together when they brought us here..." -Maria.

What the hell IGA! Stop messing around with what's established just because you have something against women heros!

(A-hem!)

My apologies to everyone in the dungeon for unaotherized IGA bashing. Sorry.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
What the hell IGA! Stop messing around with what's established just because you have something against women heros!

And yet he made a game starring a female protagonist. What the hell is wrong with you?

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
A woman who's just there to say "See?  We made a game with a woman in it!", ends up essentially failing as a hero because everyone she knows and loves dies, and whose own game effectively erases her deeds from history by making Ecclesia's records fade into obscurity.

People who claim OoE is the defining proof Iga isn't sexist really need to think about OoE more.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:08:24 AM by Super Waffle »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
If we're on the point that IGA is sexist, I wouldn't call him anymore sexist than any of the previous developers in the past.

And in Rondo, you play as a pink dress wearing 12 year old magical girl with more than your average bust. I think her design alone is pretty sexist. Don't forget her ending where the shot is angled where she has to cover what's under her dress. Sonia's a woman who's just there to say "See? We made a game with a woman in it!" And her game sucks.

I wouldn't really get pissy on IGA for sexism if I don't get pissy about the previous heroines. I mean even Charlotte's design is only as sexist as RoB Maria's, barring how some people find her useless in gameplay. Plus, IGA specifically searched out for Ayami Kojima, a female artist, and because of that, the franchise actually got a handful of female fans. And he has a pretty wild beard so that makes everything okay.

Also, I wanna argue that Shanoa's deeds were still heroic and that she didn't fail because the heroic value of her deeds don't suddenly diminish just because no one knew about. And I actually prefer that she couldn't save everyone instead of pulling out some Mary Sue trick but nagger.

Edit: On second thought, maybe Charlotte is worse than Maria with that thing she does when you hold up.

Tags: